Zain Dean conviction--fatal hit & run case PART IV

The MOJ also want to try him absconding and offenses against the Immigration Act. So he will probably do more time after he serves the first sentence…if they can get him back.

1 Like

The Taiwanese prison authorities have assured the UK that they have set up quite the Taj Mahal for Mr Dean.

Mrs Chen Wen-chi described and sent photographs of the cell which she undertook to prepare for Mr Dean and which he would share with one other foreign prisoner. The cell was located on the second floor of the 11th disciplinary area in Taipei prison and had an area of 13.76 square metres. The cell was equipped with a desk, a chair, a four-shelf cupboard, a bunk bed, and a bathroom with a toilet, a sink, a shower and a shower curtain. There was good natural lighting through a large window, electric lighting, an exhaust fan and an electric fan on the ceiling. Prisoners had the opportunity to spend about nine hours per day out of their cells, which included working, exercise time, rests and meals. Assurances were also given about the quality of drinking water and diet.

Mrs Chen Wen-chi…undertook that Mr Dean would be supervised by English-speaking officers and that he would be housed in an appropriate cell with persons selected from among non-violent foreign inmates, to avoid bullying. The authorities would treat Mr Dean as a special assignment, take account of his concerns for his safety, and assess the level of protection which he needed. They would pre-screen inmates with ill intent towards him to prevent them having contact with him. If necessary, they would separate Mr Dean from group activities and restrict his interaction with other inmates.

Dr McManus’s visit to Taipei prison in August 2015 provided further insight into the undertakings. The proposed cell measured 11.05 square metres, excluding the toilet and shower annex, giving 5.5 square metres to each of the proposed occupants. … The cell, which was proposed for Mr Dean, had been created in 2013 as a protected cell but had never been used. The proposed exercise area for Mr Dean was a tarmac basketball court adjacent to the building. The basketball court offered ample space for exercise and could be cleared of other prisoners when Mr Dean was using it.

An English speaking non-violent cellmate, English speaking guards, a decent amount of amenities including his own private shower with privacy curtain, and a decently equipped exercise area. Sounds more like a shitty vacation and less of a punishment for drunk driving, manslaughter, evading arrest, false statements, and a slew of other charges. In fact, The Herald even says his conditions will be far better than other prisoners.

Not saying they shouldnt try and get him back to serve his sentenCe, but it fadcinates me how many resources have been put into this when there are literally thousands of Taiwanese who have committed telephone fraud from overseas locations , billion dollars frauds , and they didn’t make any effort to deal with them.

3 Likes

A furriner caused the Taiwanese authorities to lose face, so revenge is priority #1. There’s no crime worse than causing high muckety-mucks to lose face, after all.

2 Likes

This is from SET News, dated February 5, 2016:

This appears to be the Scottish High Court’s partial translation of the above SET News quote:

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=bd2e1fa7-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

I would add that the SET News article also seems to quote Deputy Minister of Justice Chen Ming-tang as saying that for a few months there has been a new government with a new justice minister and new judges, and the position has changed.

This is part of a Next Magazine article dated May 12, 2016:

http://www.nextmag.com.tw/realtimenews/news/39208834

This appears to be part of the Scottish High Court’s translation of the Next Magazine article:

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=bd2e1fa7-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

While I agree with Brian Jones and Chris, I think that Zain dug himself in deep when he challenged Taiwan’s legal status as a territory and slagged Taiwan’s status as a country and legitimate legal jurisdiction.

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201401090030.asp

On that basis, I think the MOJ is correct in asserting Taiwan’s legal rights to see justice done.

It’s not really about an individual anymore.

1 Like

Well I suppose Taiwan can’t just drop the extradition request willy nilly. But it may wish the Scots just let the dude go though (secretly).

I say, if they get his derriere back here for more time served, then they should allow him to live in Taiwan just like he did before because like Taiwanese citizens who do time are allowed back in society why should he not?

I say, do the time for the crime but there should be no deportation.

Equal treatment for Taiwanese and Furriners !!!

Do the time for the crime and get out of jail and back to where you were.

NO DEPORTATION

End that segment of the TW law regarding foreigners who do time in Taiwan.

Now Deportation IN LIEU of time to be served in Taiwan Prisons. That is another matter…

Do you mean that Taiwan won’t deport Taiwanese who have fled home after committing the offenses and being convicted in another country?

When you commit a crime in another country, you usually have to serve your time there. Even in notorious third world prisons.

It may very well be Taiwan’s rule of law and enforcement of those laws that forces Taiwanese criminals to go to Nigeria, and other countries to commit those crimes.

The Wisdom of Tommy.

What!?! No air conditioning? That’s cruel and unusual in my book.

Check your privilege, Doc, or we’ll send you back to the parlor. :angry:

Hey! Don’t milk me, bro!

They did go overseas because of stricter enforcement in Taiwan but their multi billion USD massive fraud rings were effectively ignired for a decade. When Taiwanese criminals were deported back to Taiwan they were usually let go with a slap of the wrist , also the dragon heads.have never been arrested. We are talking up to 5000 Taiwanese involved in these fraud rackets.
This is the major reason China pushed for them to be deported back to China instead of Taiwan.

This kind of slipped under the radar unless I missed it. Best I can make out of this is that it’s totally over

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=931b24a7-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

Or is it that the Scots High Court will still decide on the appeal themselves

Trying to sift through the jargon, it would appear that it’s of not enough interest and too complicated , to extradite Zain . This seems to be “ don’t bother appealing for Extradition. Therefore , not having been convicted in the uk and not in imminent danger of extradition… guess he is free of it all . Probably a different outcome if this happened on the mainland :pensive: just my opinions and I may be wrong understanding this but …

I thought there was another extradition bid after Paton and Clark’s bizarre decision.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/drink-driver-who-fled-taiwan-for-capital-faces-fresh-extradition-bid-1-4488829

As far as I’m aware the whole thing’s still dragging on and the 2016 decision to drop extradition proceedings was itself dropped in favour of Drummond Young’s good sense. Or am I missing something?

The irony is that Desn may eventually spend more time in jail then his taiwan sentence while he fights extradition or is he free at the moment in Scotland

Nothing is new here. Someone is linking an old court decision and a year old news article.

1 Like

I doubt the UK continue with this, would be a waste of their resources