Zen and the art of fzr150 maintenance

Too bad I didn’t have enough time this morning. I was going to write that exact same line. In fact, I’ve said it before, on the Ninja 250 forum, no less.

uncleargenius: You need to do some research before you start recommending things to do. It’s obvious you’ve only been here about five days. Start here:

[quote=“Bokonon”]uncleargenius: You need to do some research before you start recommending things to do. It’s obvious you’ve only been here about five days. Start here:
[Index of key / sticky topics: please read first

I would agree with what Bokonon said. Please do some research about Taiwan and the motorcycle scene before you start rambling on about what is the best motorcycle for Taiwan. We are not in Hawaii, things are completely different here. The only similarities we have with Hawaii is that Taiwan is also an island.

I have done some research and its only illegal if a diffent motor is used like 300cc
Or something. 40000nt does not sound cheap when complete low mile engines
Are availible way cheaper. Even if shipping was 10000nt it would still be cheaper
I agree the initial cost of a 250 is more but i think your wrong on the parts side
If you went to a shop in tw then yeah it might be alot. If you source parts on ebay
And ship to tw. Not so much

Just wanted to clear something up As I Have Done A fair share of research and Have been in taiwan more then 5 days infact been visiting about 1 month a year since

2004 but now finally made the move, anyway I see how you point is valid for the “Average guy”

An “Average Guy” buys brand new parts locally from a dealership and an “Average Guy” pays a mechanic to work on his bike

If I where an “Average Guy” I think I would also buy an FZR for the following Reasons

Mechanics are familiar with it so labor cost would be much cheaper then say a Super rare in Taiwan Ninja 250

Brand new Factory parts or good quality used ones can be found locally without the need of knowing how to use Ebay or ship cheaply from usa

But from my standpoint I feel i dont fall under the “Average Guy” category

I do all the work on bikes myself so no need to worry about labor costs on a Rare in Taiwan bike,

I can source parts much cheaper by ebay then to buy locally and there are more used parts in good condition for the ex250

just look at its production numbers

So Try To remember not everyone takes there bike to a shop when it breaks and not everyone orders brand new dealership parts or

buys locally especially me because I dont enjoy getting ripped off nor giving money away

I’m 99% positive that it is illegal to swap any motor even if it’s the same size. You have to have the original engine case number. If those dont match than it’s illegal. That’s why so many FZR guys are able to get away with a 250cc swap because they can still use their original case. Actually in general modding your motorcycle or scooter is illegal here. Aftermarket exhausts are even illegal, but the police don’t really enforce these laws. You will not be able to change any papers on a motorcycle or scooter that has a different engine case number from the original. Even if it’s the same size engine. A couple of years ago I bought a motorcycle and I couldn’t get the papers exchanged into my name because I was missing the original tachometer. So I had to take it to a shop just to get that put on. Also the previous owner had repainted the bike and now it was a different color. The inspector almost wanted the bike to be changed back to the original color, but finally get it pass.

Also, if you buy anything motorcycle parts related and you buy shipping insurance, then once the parts arive in TW they will be taxed. Last year I bought a carbon fiber gas tank from my track NSR, and I got dinged an extra 3,000nt to receive the package. If I said no, then they keep it.

Back in the states laber costs can be outrageous, but here in Taiwan it is next to nothing. They don’t make much money off laber here. Mechanics make more money off parts.

Being in TW a month is like being here 5 days. If it was that easy to buy engine parts from Ebay for cheap and sending them over here without paying taxes a lot more people would be doing it. But it’s not very practical.

mental note engine case stamping renumbering equipment haha

uncleargenius

I’m a satisfied owner and daily rider of a Ninja 250. It’s a great bike for riding in Taiwan. I wrote a review just after I bought it.

[url]Ninja 250 Review

PM me if you want more specific info.

So your from Ca USA twricky? Thats pretty cool

I have lots of stories bout the good old days commuting between central CA to San fransisco every weekend between 2002-2004

with a backpack full of records to DJ a radar detector that would light up a light inside my helmet

and going through wine country back roads and Pacheco pass at a constant 100-110mph on a 2002 ninja 250

mine was heavily modded and carburettad constant 15000 redlines always used synthetic oil did my own valve adjustments

it was a narrow bike able to go between cars easily much easier then my later r6 600cc bike

one time approaching a redlight when it turned green i popped a wheelie going in between 2 cars and taking off haha crazy times

I ride much safer now and only had one small crash in the rain on my ninja 250 due to the front brake locking up going into

a turn to fast trying to keep my rpms high and engine not dying due to rain getting in the carbs took the last turn home

when into it to fast got hard on the front brake and crashed before i could even start the turn not sure if the out od town

gf was worth it that night probly shoulda stayed home i broke my engine oil indicater glass so oil was everywhere

and walked my bike home at first sight i thought i cracked my case upon closer inspection my rear brake lever bent into and

hit the oil window cracking it i was relived a simple part costing 8 dollars and no need for a new engine case

[quote=“uncleargenius”]So your from Ca USA twricky? Thats pretty cool

I have lots of stories bout the good old days commuting between central CA to San fransisco every weekend between 2002-2004

with a backpack full of records to DJ a radar detector that would light up a light inside my helmet

and going through wine country back roads and Pacheco pass at a constant 100-110mph on a 2002 ninja 250

mine was heavily modded and carburettad constant 15000 redlines always used synthetic oil did my own valve adjustments

it was a narrow bike able to go between cars easily much easier then my later r6 600cc bike

one time approaching a redlight when it turned green i popped a wheelie going in between 2 cars and taking off haha crazy times

I ride much safer now and only had one small crash in the rain on my ninja 250 due to the front brake locking up going into

a turn to fast trying to keep my rpms high and engine not dying due to rain getting in the carbs took the last turn home

when into it to fast got hard on the front brake and crashed before i could even start the turn not sure if the out od town

gf was worth it that night probly shoulda stayed home i broke my engine oil indicater glass so oil was everywhere

and walked my bike home at first sight i thought i cracked my case upon closer inspection my rear brake lever bent into and

hit the oil window cracking it I was relived a simple part costing 8 dollars and no need for a new engine case[/quote]

That’s a fabolous story, but lets stick to this threads topic. It’s called Zen and the art of FZR150 maintenance, not Zen and the art of your Kawasaki 250cc good ol’ day stories. Please start a new Kawasaki thread if you would like.

ok so whats the highest hp fzr 150 out there? 17hp? i like a minimum of 30-50hp

Why do you think you need a 50 hp bike in a place where most of the roads motorcycles can go on have a speed limit of 50-60 km/h?

Why do you think you need a 50 hp bike in a place where most of the roads motorcycles can go on have a speed limit of 50-60 km/h?[/quote]

But this question is like asking: why do people “need” a liter bike anywhere on this planet, including a racetrack. If the guy wants a bike with a 1000hp turbo V8, what’s so wrong with that?

Why do you think you need a 50 hp bike in a place where most of the roads motorcycles can go on have a speed limit of 50-60 km/h?[/quote]

But this question is like asking: why do people “need” a liter bike anywhere on this planet, [/quote]

It isn’t very. The first one has “think” in it so the answer is likely to be longer and funnier. They’re both good questions, though.

to clear things up i like going on long long long road trips the ones that make most people tired or want to stop

i once road from san fransisco to las vegas non stop except ofcoarse for gas im sure taiwans gotta

have some long uncongested country roads where 50hp would come in handy but actually my last bike was 120hp so no matter what

its a let down that 600cc bikes arent easy to come by here in Taiwan as for the traffic cams none of you guys have tried using the reflecting clear coat

stuff you spray on your plate to where it looks normal straight on but at angles cant see nothin so camera doesnt get your number

You try that here, you’re liable to end up in the sea. Otherwise you’ll have to circle in a holding pattern.

An excellent idea.

You try that here, you’re liable to end up with a big fine. Someone posted what the automatic penalty was a while ago but I can’t be bothered to look for it. Was lots though.

but who would they send the big fine to Mr unknown Blank plate? or would they zoom in looking for details on your bike, guess they cant get your face

if your wearing a full face helmet i think it would be pretty hard to enforce unless they were able to get a few numbers off your plate

There are no roads in Taiwan where 50 hp on a bike can be used for more than a squirt. There are no “long uncongested country roads” at all. Taiwan’s roads are not safe for long-distance hard riding: you must always ride in control and able to stop in a very short distance, or you will finish the trip in an ambulance or buried in the grill of a gravel truck or off the side of a long cliff.

High top speed is not at all what you want. Cornering speed, maybe, but you don’t get that from horses, you get that from tires, experience, and balls. And you can do it an a 12 hp 125 cc scooter.

i know a pretty cool chick down south who rides a 600cc bike who seems to think high torque is good for exiting alot of the twistys in taiwan

i see your point urodacus and maybe the bigger fatter meatier tires of well not really a 250cc bike cuz there almost the same size as 150cc

but tires on a 600cc bike are pretty big which could or could not make a difference on knee dragging corners depending how big your balls are

i like to drag my knees the second time i take a route the first time im looking for oil spots one knee drag corner and hit an oil spot its all over

newer roads are the best for this as usually they dont have much oil so east side of the island has no long straight roads? maybe 6am sunday morning no traffic?

Anyway Mr. uncleargenius This is AN FZR forum… please discuss others road trips blah blah elsewhere please… (no offence ^^)

Questions for Fzr.
I finally got back my FZR its great… just a quick question for Rk or beast. how big wheels would you put it and how fast can a 250 really go.
thanks
^^

[quote=“shoyamato”]Anyway Mr. uncleargenius This is AN FZR forum… please discuss others road trips blah blah elsewhere please… (no offence ^^)

Questions for Fzr.
I finally got back my FZR its great… just a quick question for Rk or beast. how big wheels would you put it and how fast can a 250 really go.
thanks
^^[/quote]

Uncleargenius still hasn’t figured out this thread yet, so I don’t know how he is going to figure out riding motorcycles in TW.

Shoyamato, most guys that do any mods to their wheels will either keep the stock front wheel and upgrade the rear wheel to a 3.5 inch. Beast just did the rear upgrade on his 250cc FZR. It isn’t cheap though. I think your stock rear wheel is a 2.75 inch. I forget though. Most of the racers will upgrade to the Honda RS 125 wheels because they are extremely lighter than stock wheels. I just did this last year to my NSR, but just the wheels cost about $18,000nt.

Im not really sure how fast your 250cc could go now. I dont think Beast would know either because he doesn’t use a speedo and only uses it for the racetrack. I would say with stock sprockets about 150-170kph. I am really not sure though.