1.6 seconds

Can you see the Motorcycle?

The Honda rider was traveling at such a “very high speed”, his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of 250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider’s reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn’t sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place.

All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license.

At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate that no actions were taken.

Oh shit. What a waste of an RC30.

I used to look after one of those for it’s owner, so of course I got to ride it quite a bit… for tuning purposes of course :wink:. One of the nicest bikes I’ve ever ridden, but an absolute biatch to work on.

Anybody who rides at those kind of speeds on public roads is asking for trouble.

Sadest part is that two innocents had to die to show how stupid this kind of behaviour is.

I think someone has posted that pic on this forum before.

I wonder if it was this guy riding that RC30 (what a waste of a beautiful bike, not to mention a waste of two human lives) :frowning: -->

http://www.bikepics.com/movies/000058/

This guy hits 250kph quite a few times and seems to average 200-220 - on a pretty busy looking, three lane freeway.

He may be a good rider, and part of me thinks that that’s really cool, but that’s insanely irresponsible behaviour. Speeds like that should be kept for empty roads in the middle of the desert, or the racetrack.

[quote=“trapjaw”]I think someone has posted that pic on this forum before.

I wonder if it was this guy riding that RC30 (what a waste of a beautiful bike, not to mention a waste of two human lives) :frowning: -->

http://www.bikepics.com/movies/000058/

This guy hits 250kph quite a few times and seems to average 200-220 - on a pretty busy looking, three lane freeway.

He may be a good rider, and part of me thinks that that’s really cool, but that’s insanely irresponsible behaviour. Speeds like that should be kept for empty roads in the middle of the desert, or the racetrack.[/quote]

It is not a highway, but the outer ring road for Paris, not the peripherique itself though. From memory the speed limit on that road is 90kmh, not the 200+ this idiot was doing, as you say that kind of speed for be kept for the track

Additional info (after a quick google), the guy in that video is “the Black Prince”, and this is a pretty famous vid. The bike he’s on is a ZXR750, this is in Paris, 1990.

According to some forums I looked over, he died a few years later after hitting a truck at 260kph or something…

There was a link to a very good website that Moredth posted, I think Trapdraw has posted the same one above.
It (albeit very graphically) shows how riding a motorcycle irresponsibly can cause you and others harm. Some times people need a graphic reminder to show them that irresponsible riding can cost you, but more importantly, other people their lives.

For some very strange reason, Admin removed it :loco:

[quote=“Dangermouse”]There was a link to a very good website that Moredth posted, I think Trapdraw has posted the same one above.
It (albeit very graphically) shows how riding a motorcycle irresponsibly can cause you and others harm. Some times people need a graphic reminder to show them that irresponsible riding can cost you, but more importantly, other people their lives.

For some very strange reason, Admin removed it :loco:[/quote]

I think that site promotes motorcycle safety in a good way. I myself don’t enjoy looking at dead bodies…etc. But I know that when I do it’s a positive reminder of what can go wrong.

Look at all the positive feedback that site is getting: home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike1.htm (note: this is not a direct link to the offending page)

I didn’t see any of the pics that that discussion was referring to, but I’ve seen those kind of pics before, from what it seemed to be talking about.

Indeed, as many people say, it should be mandatory viewing for anyone wanting to get on a bike. And for car drivers too.

There are a number of reasons for the large number of motorcycle accidents that there are today. A few, in my opinion, are:

Well, the obvious ones which have been around since the internal combustion engine was invented:
Drunk driving
Lack of awareness + careless driving
Reckless driving + disobeying common sense/rules of the road

Also, more recently, the fact that very high performance bikes are available for just about anyone to buy. I’m fully in support of countries that require you to ride a small capacity machine for a year, or more ideally, before you’re allowed to get anything bigger.The sports bike magazines don’t help this situation either, classifying things like CBR600s as “beginner bikes” and “ideal first bikes” and such. A bike that puts out like 120hp and revs to 14,000 prm, does 260kph is NOT an ideal first bike.

You also get movies like Biker Boyz or whatever, and all the stunting videos on the internet of guys in shorts and tee-shirts popping wheelies at 200kph and stuff, and rolling stoppies on freeways and stuff that influence stupid people who have never gotten on a bike before to go out and get a GSXR1000 so that they can look cool too.

A Honda CG125 that does like 90khp tops IS an ideal first bike. When you’re learning, you ARE gonna take a few spills. It would be a lot better for the rider if these happened at 40kph, on a cheap bike to fix, as opposed to 240kph when they’re gonna be picking up the pieces of your body for the next 2 or 3 km stretch of road.

I took my spills on a RZ50 when I was 16 years old, then moved up to my dad’s CB400 after a while - took another spill on that, as the learning curve continued. I still don’t feel like I’m fully qualified to ride a 1000cc machine, even after a good 8 years of riding; there are still loads of things to learn, to ride better. I may move up one day, when I really feel like I’m ready. But it won’t be for the image, and it won’t be to look cool, or to boast to people about the performance figures of my machine. But right now, I just don’t really need it.

I don’t believe this pic. Not that I am basing that on my exhaustive scientifc knowledge or anything… The bike should almost disintigrate on impact at the sort of speeds they’re talking about, fly over the car, possibly cutting it in two. What do the Barry Sheens on the forum think? Where’s the blood and guts? Oh well. Truth is stranger than fiction and all that.

Someone did a really good job with a wet-vac.