1.93 gigs in Bookmarks?!?!

Someone tell me that this is wrong.

In the last couple weeks I’ve upgraded to Tiger on my Mac Mini.

I just ran WhatSize to see where I could find some space.

In Application Support, there’s Firefox, taking up 1.93 gigs.
Apparently I have 1,314 bookmarks. (What can I say, I was hooked on StumbleUpon for a while, and I’m an information junkie.)

If I’m reading this correctly, each bookmark is taking between 346 kb (bookmarks-1.html), and 1.97 mb (bookmarks-1208.html). I initially that that the indicated memory usage was cumulative, but there are later bookmarks that indicate less memory usage. So what the hell? How does a BOOKMARK take up that much space?

Ok, why do I need that many bookmarks? I guess I don’t, but they do get used.

Am I actually burning THAT much space on bookmarks???

I just checked where I keep my bookmarks and it seems that at some interval Firefox saves a snapshot of your bookmarks in .html format. So what you have there is a list of files where, unless you delete bookmarks from time to time, each snapshot will grow bigger. That’s why you started out with -1 (being the first) having 200kb and -1208 (being the most recent) having a couple megs.

Open up the .html file and take a look at the difference.

Here a handy - FREE - tool that I use occasionally to remove dea or out of date links from my bookmarks. And they do pile up quickly.

aignes.com/deadlink.htm

The right place to look for an answer is the Mozilla Firefox forums :slight_smile:

forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=365576

Oops. I missed that thread and just started a new one over there. Thanks.

And thanks TC. the program you cited doesn’t run on Macs, but thanks anyways.

*edit: went through the Mozilla forums, saved my bookmarks, changed the permissions, and deleted all of the extra copys. Space used dropped from 1.93 gb to 85 mb. That’s muuuuuccccchhhh better. :thumbsup: