1 month around the island?

Hi,

First off, I apologize if this thread is similar to some posts in the past. My question is not so much what should I see (I’m garnering a lot of that from just reading old posts) as it is how much can I see.

Now I know it all depends on how much time I spend here and there, but humour me for a moment if you will.

I’m coming to Taiwan from May 29 to July 29. For the first month I’m homebasing in Hualien while I am part of an exchange. So I expect to see some of the east coast sights while I’m there (on weekends).

My hope then is to go south down the coast on my way to Kenting with a tangent to one of the eastern islands if time permits.
The plan is to then go North up to Taipei through some of the key destinations.
The trip would be finished off in Taipei and surrounding area.

Realistically, how long should/could/would this take?

I’ve got a month to travel the island, and would like to see as much of it as I can while still having a relatively relaxed (and by that I mean, if I like a place I can stay longer… it’s not 9am here, 1 pm here… and so on) schedule.

I’m more into nature, beaches, waterfalls, jungles, watersports, riverrafting, etc… then I am into going to museums and bunches and bunches of temples (a few big ones are good enough).

What am I looking at here? Realistic? More than enough, not enough…?

Thanks a bunch.

Marc

Hi Marc,

You can certainly do some decent sightseeing and outdoor activities in a month, and yes that should allow you to have a reasonably relaxed schedule.

For the more adventurous stuff, I feel it would save you time, be convenient and safe to go on organised trips. I’ve heard good things about Fresh Treks;
freshtreks.com/

You have the latest edition of the Lonely Planet Guide, right? If you don’t, I suggest you buy it and read it from cover to cover.

My website may be of interest;
mcttw.tripod.com/trips_photos.htm
There are some photos, accounts and sketch maps from various trips around Taiwan. I’m going to update it with some more photos soon.

There are also quite a few websites with better pictures and more information than mine, though I don’t have the addresses at hand.

You could also pick up the free Taiwan hostels guide and DVD that I translated. You can get them from the Youth Hostel Association office on the 12th floor of the Asiaworld Building, No. 50, Section 1, Zhongxiao West Road, Taibei (next to the Shinkong Mitsukoshi Building, opposite Taibei Main Station). I also left some at JB’s pub on Shi-Da Road in Taibei and at Alleycat’s pizza restaurant. Any othe venues that want to stock some for their customers/employees/members/students, just let me know. (Would the person from Hess who wanted some please contact me again!)

sorry, blank post

You could also pick up the free Taiwan hostels guide and DVD that I translated. You can get them from the Youth Hostel Association office on the 12th floor of the Asiaworld Building, No. 50, Section 1, Zhongxiao West Road, Taibei (next to the Shinkong Mitsukoshi Building, opposite Taibei Main Station). I also left some at JB’s pub on Shi-Da Road in Taibei and at Alleycat’s pizza restaurant. Any othe venues that want to stock some for their customers/employees/members/students, just let me know. (Would the person from Hess who wanted some please contact me again!)[/quote]

If you don’t mind bring some over to my place. I also have some customers that can put them at their place.

Thanks.

I actually just picked up the LP Taiwan yesterday. It looks very useful.

Don’t forget to check the main website for Taiwan:

202.39.225.132/jsp/Eng/html/search/index.jsp

Taiwan is well-represented on the web so check out all those links provided in the new LP. Every county, national park, forest recreation area, and many cities has its own site, in English.

When you arrive in Taipei get the two Taipei Day Trips books as they are the best guides to hiking in the north of Taiwan. Also, the author, Richard Saunders runs hikes most weekends, as does your truly. If you want Richard’s email pm me. Forumosa’s hiking schedule is posted here:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=30915

You should know though that summer is not a great time to be out hiking. It’s mercilessly hot and humid, and frequent thundershowers and typhoons make trails treacherous. Also snakes are out and active. On the other hand, one of the pleasures of Taiwan is to get out into the jungles and experience hiking in tropical conditions (something you can’t do in most tropical countries because of the dangers from other people). In any case, go with a group unless you are tackling the hills and mountains in Yangmingshan or Alishan or Kenting (all worthy destinations). These areas you can safey do alone.

After you have done your research post your itinerary and we can give you some suggestions.