#1 on Obama's "Open for Questions" is about legalizing pot

change.gov/page/content/20081211 … rquestions

Top five questions:

[quote]1. “Will you consider legalizing marijuana so that the government can regulate it, tax it, put age limits on it, and create millions of new jobs and create a billion dollar industry right here in the U.S.?”

1. “What will you do as President to restore the Constitutional protections that have been subverted by the Bush Administration and how will you ensure that our system of checks and balances is renewed?”

2. “What will you do to establish transparency and safeguards against waste with the rest of the Wall Street bailout money?”

3. “Will you lift the ban on Stem Cell research in your first 100 days in office?”

4. “What will you do to promote science and mathematics education to Elementary and Middle School students?”[/quote]

YES! :discodance: PLEASE let it happen, finally!

In related news:

Obama May Be Stuck With Anti-Pot Crusading GOP Attorney

[quote]Chong prosecutor dares Obama to fire her
If someone were to make a list of all the things a federal prosecutor could spend his or her time on to distract from fighting the war on terror, organized crime and other top Justice Department priorities, that list would mirror Mary Beth Buchanan’s most touted accomplishments during her previous seven years as a US Attorney.

Now the Bush-appointee – who spent $12 million to put that oh-so-notorious kingpin Tommy Chong behind bars for nine months – has been struck with another bout of headline-grabbing obstinance. Buchanan says she won’t step down once President-elect Obama takes office next month.

“It doesn’t serve justice for all the U.S. attorneys to submit their resignations all at one time,” she told a local paper last week, adding, “I am open to considering further service to the United States.”

The defiant posture and break with tradition could complicate Obama’s attempt to put his own mark on a Justice Department that has seen its reputation sullied over the last eight years. Some speculate Buchanan is essentially daring the president-elect to fire her.[/quote]

Come on, Barrack - fire that a-hole!

Others relevant to the topic:

Einstein, insanity and the war on drugs

[quote]Albert Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results. His definition fits America’s war on drugs, a multi-billion dollar, four-decade exercise in futility.

The war on drugs has helped turn the United States into the country with the world’s largest prison population. (Noteworthy statistic: The U.S. has 5 percent of the world’s population and around 25 percent of the world’s prisoners). Keen demand for illicit drugs in America, the world’s biggest market, helped spawn global criminal enterprises that use extreme violence in the pursuit of equally extreme profits.

Over the years, the war on drugs has spurred repeated calls from social scientists and economists (including three Nobel prize winners) to seriously rethink a strategy that ignores the laws of supply and demand.

Under the headline “The Failed War on Drugs,” Washington’s respected, middle-of-the-road Brookings Institution said in a November report that drug use had not declined significantly over the years and that “falling retail drug prices reflect the failure of efforts to reduce the supply of drugs.”[/quote]

Cannabis is less harmful than drinking or smoking cigarettes, according to a report.

[quote]“Although cannabis can have a negative impact on health, including mental health, in terms of relative harms, it is considerably less harmful than alcohol or tobacco,” the report claimed.

“Many of the harms associated with cannabis use are the result of prohibition itself, particularly the social harms arising from arrest and imprisonment,” the authors concluded.

They added that, by legalising dope, it would be regulated and would make it easier to stop children becoming users.

“It is only through a regulated market that we can better protect young people from the ever more potent forms of dope, known as ‘skunk’,” the report said.[/quote]

Hell Freezes Over, Bush Whitehouse Czar Backs Decriminalization

[quote]On Oct. 22, The New York Times reported Walters’ public support for a drug decriminalization proposal by Mexican President Felipe Calderon, quoting Walters as saying, “I don’t think that’s legalization.” Under Calderon’s proposal, individuals caught with small quantities of marijuana would receive no jail sentence or fine and would not receive a criminal record so long as they complete either drug education or, if addicted, drug treatment. Unlike proposals supported by MPP, the Mexican president’s proposal would also decriminalize possession of small amounts of heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine.

“It’s fantastic that John Walters has recognized the massive destruction the drug war has inflicted on Mexico and is now calling for reforms there, but he’s a rank hypocrite if he continues opposing similar reforms in the U.S.,” Kampia said. “The Mexican proposal is far more sweeping than MPP’s proposals to decriminalize marijuana or make marijuana medically available, both of which John Walters and his henchmen rail against.”

(HOWEVER) In a March 19, 2008, press release from the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, deputy director Scott Burns called a New Hampshire proposal to impose a $200 fine rather than jail time for a small amount of marijuana “a dangerous first step toward complete drug legalization.”[/quote]

This is the U.S. on drugs - Only cops and crooks have benefited from $2.5 trillion spent fighting trafficking.

[quote]The United States’ so-called war on drugs brings to mind the old saying that if you find yourself trapped in a deep hole, stop digging. Yet, last week, the Senate approved an aid package to combat drug trafficking in Mexico and Central America, with a record $400 million going to Mexico and $65 million to Central America.

The United States has been spending $69 billion a year worldwide for the last 40 years, for a total of $2.5 trillion, on drug prohibition – with little to show for it. Is anyone actually benefiting from this war? Six groups come to mind.

The first group are the drug lords in nations such as Colombia, Afghanistan and Mexico, as well as those in the United States. They are making billions of dollars every year – tax free.

The second group are the street gangs that infest many of our cities and neighborhoods, whose main source of income is the sale of illegal drugs.

Third are those people in government who are paid well to fight the first two groups. Their powers and bureaucratic fiefdoms grow larger with each tax dollar spent to fund this massive program that has been proved not to work.

Fourth are the politicians who get elected and reelected by talking tough – not smart, just tough – about drugs and crime. But the tougher we get in prosecuting nonviolent drug crimes, the softer we get in the prosecution of everything else because of the limited resources to fund the criminal justice system.

The fifth group are people who make money from increased crime. They include those who build prisons and those who staff them. The prison guards union is one of the strongest lobbying groups in California today, and its ranks continue to grow.

And last are the terrorist groups worldwide that are principally financed by the sale of illegal drugs.[/quote]

The Budgetary Implications of Marijuana Prohibition

[quote]Summary:

* Government prohibition of marijuana is the subject of ongoing debate.

* One issue in this debate is the effect of marijuana prohibition on government budgets. Prohibition entails direct enforcement costs and prevents taxation of marijuana production and sale.

* This report examines the budgetary implications of legalizing marijuana – taxing and regulating it like other goods – in all fifty states and at the federal level.

* The report estimates that legalizing marijuana would save $7.7 billion per year in government expenditure on enforcement of prohibition. $5.3 billion of this savings would accrue to state and local governments, while $2.4 billion would accrue to the federal government.

* The report also estimates that marijuana legalization would yield tax revenue of $2.4 billion annually if marijuana were taxed like all other goods and $6.2 billion annually if marijuana were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco.

* Whether marijuana legalization is a desirable policy depends on many factors other than the budgetary impacts discussed here. But these impacts should be included in a rational debate about marijuana policy.

[/quote]

Why I’m No Longer A Republican (And Never Was A Democrat)

[quote]If you’re a small government guy like me, there are countless reasons to be disenfranchised with the current Republican Party – wiretaps, suspension of habeas corpus, the drug war, the ‘terror’ war, massive government spending, unprecedented debt, and on and on…

This event pushed me over the edge…

My bright and promising 19-year-old nephew was a college Sophomore in 2005. In October of 2005, the local police arrested him for possession of psilocybin mushrooms.

When I first heard the news I thought, ‘shrooms – no big deal – he’ll pay a fine – maybe do a few weeks in county jail – he’ll learn a life lesson – it might even be good for him.

What I discovered over the next few months horrified me…[/quote]

America is doped up in Colombia for a bad trip in Afghanistan

[quote]Uribe cannot stem the cocaine trade. Crop-spraying shifts production into Bolivia, Peru and the Amazon jungle, where mile upon mile of virgin forest is lost to coca each year, an ecological disaster that is a direct result of western drugs policy. As long as prohibition sustains a lucrative market for narcotics, countries such as Colombia will supply it. Traditional coca-growing nations on the Andean spine will have their politics and economics blighted by criminality. Growth will be stifled and governments left vulnerable to left-wing rebellion. The war on drugs is the stupidest war on earth…

…Cut to Afghanistan. Here, too, the West is intervening in a narco-economy that is destabilising a pro-western government. Here, too, quantities of aid have been dedicated to security yet have fed corruption. Here, too, intervention has boosted drug production and stacked the cards against law and order. This year’s Afghan poppy crop is predicted to be the largest on record. European demand has boosted the price paid for Afghan poppies to nine times that of wheat. At this differential a policy of crop substitution is absurd. [/quote]

Pot Prisoners Cost Americans $1 Billion a Year

[quote]According to the new BJS report, “Drug Use and Dependence, State and Federal Prisoners, 2004,” 12.7 percent of state inmates and 12.4 percent of federal inmates incarcerated for drug violations are serving time for marijuana offenses. Combining these percentages with separate U.S. Department of Justice statistics on the total number of state and federal drug prisoners suggests that there are now about 33,655 state inmates and 10,785 federal inmates behind bars for marijuana offenses. The report failed to include estimates on the percentage of inmates incarcerated in county and/or local jails for pot-related offenses.

Multiplying these totals by U.S. DOJ prison expenditure data reveals that taxpayers are spending more than $1 billion annually to imprison pot offenders.

The new report is noteworthy because it undermines the common claim from law enforcement officers and bureaucrats, specifically White House drug czar John Walters, that few, if any, Americans are incarcerated for marijuana-related offenses. In reality, nearly 1 out of 8 U.S. drug prisoners are locked up for pot.[/quote]

Nothing in this about the CIA shipping the drugs in. They are the real drug dealers who’ve made a killing (pun intended) in drug dealing for decades. (anyone remember Clinton testifying in court in the 90s about the CIAs drug dealing?)

And the war on drugs is profitable and sending more pot heads to jail so they can be slaves benefits business so it’s good for the shareholders who have things made at the prison sweat shops.

I think it should be legalised myself.

Hmm. Yes. Because the USA needs more people with paranoia and short term memory loss?

:bravo: :smiley:

Well, don’t tell that to Jotham. He’ll say that supporting legalization is tantamount to legalizing slavery, just as everything else liberals support!

I always thought the paranoia was due to being afraid of going to jail. It’s a vicious cycle.

[quote=“cake”]Nothing in this about the CIA shipping the drugs in. They are the real drug dealers who’ve made a killing (pun intended) in drug dealing for decades. (anyone remember Clinton testifying in court in the 90s about the CIAs drug dealing?)

And the war on drugs is profitable and sending more pot heads to jail so they can be slaves benefits business so it’s good for the shareholders who have things made at the prison sweat shops.

I think it should be legalised myself.[/quote]
you have a very keen grasp on how things work. :unamused:

What the war-on-druggers fail to grasp is the movement to legalize marijuana IS NOT about drugs at all. It’s about medicine for people with glaucoma, arthritis and terminal illness. It’s about making clothes, sails and ropes from an incredibly strong fiber (that George Washington grew, incidentally). It’s about stopping the clearcutting of the world’s last remaining rainforests, that produce oxygen essential to all of our survival and that boast greater biodiversity than any other place on earth. It’s about a potential alternative energy source. It’s about prisons bursting at the seams with non-violent “criminals,” moms and pops and the people next door. And it’s about a simple plant that grows wild in nature and is one of God’s innocent creations. But it most certainly is NOT about people wanting to get high.

:wink:

Just kidding. Of course it’s about wanting to get high legally, but so what? People drink booze legally. Why the hell shouldn’t they smoke pot legally? I’m all for it. But, if you seriously believe, Vay, that Obama would dare do anything so bold and controversial as to propose legalizing it, think again. There are far too many stupid, conservative, hypocrital old farts in the world who would tear him a new one, as they say, if he dared to even suggest such a thing. It’ll never happen.

Two years ago every American I knew said the same thing about having a black president in their lifetime.

I think the stoopid aspect of the whole war on drugs things is if Obama, who basically admitted to puffing, had’ve been caught, he would never have made it to president. It’s the knock on penalties to the drug laws that hurt. Fancy blowing a promising career before you’d even started!

HG

:roflmao: That Einstein guy, I tell you, is one smart dude.

Two years ago every American I knew said the same thing about having a black president in their lifetime.

I think the stoopid aspect of the whole war on drugs things is if Obama, who basically admitted to puffing, had’ve been caught, he would never have made it to president. It’s the knock on penalties to the drug laws that hurt. Fancy blowing a promising career before you’d even started!

HG[/quote]

The thing is no one, not even Obama, has as much political capital to get all the things done in the first 100 days that everyone wants.

From what I have read people is want him to:

1. Change “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell”
  2. Legalize Marijuana
  3. Create 5 million new jobs
  4. Reverse the diplomatic trend that the US has been going (Iran, North Korea)
  5. Reverse the foreclosure situation
  6. Make college affordable for everyone
  7. Withdraw the US from Iraq
  8. Other campaign promises.

I think Obama will wait on legalizing pot. It will require too much political capital from the other projects that he wants to do.

Like everything else in the US, the reason pot and other drugs are SO illegal, and the prisons are filled is all about money and infrastructure.

I picture it like you dig a bunch of channels for water to flow, then when it rains where does the water go? Directly to the river beds. This makes it harder to change, unless you fill in the river beds which are in effect infrastructure.

Alot of prisons now are run by private coporations that recieve upwards of $50,000 a head per year in govt. subsidies. Or so the documentary “The War on Drugs” states. Then you have the whole drug testing industry, that is absurd. Someone could smoke pot 1 time and be rejected from a job, but that same person could drink alcohol every second of the day, and then quit 30 hours before a drug test and pass with flying colors.

That is just silly. Also we empower drug lords and drug cartels outside of this country with our current policies. Over time that HUGE profit trickles its way into our own govt, and policing perhaps causing bribery, political corruption to keep the machine moving business as usual as is.

Another thing I have noticed which is even more absurd… How many lawyers have you met that are total stoners? Well, I have met TONS. It seems like thats all they do in law school in thier time off is smoke pot.

I am inclined to think this whole war on Pot and drugs is more about preserving profits from Pharma, Alcohol, Police, Drug Testing, Legal, incarceration.

Of course upon further examination you realize in the beginning of the war on Pot, it was about keeping the policing jobs for the men who were policing prohibition, and also preserving industry, as hemp was a very profitable fiber and became more profitable with the advent of a new machine that could harvest it WAY quicker than before. This threatened the paper industry and the current infrastructure in place in the 1930’s. Also alot of Mexicans were stealing American jobs during the Great Depression. Many of these men and women smoked cannabis. This was a legal way to get them off the streets so to speak to preserve American jobs especially in the South.

Anyways, thats what I learned in an essay I wrote in College like 20 years ago…