10 Gbps internet

Slow on my phone today

3 Likes

I get faster speeds if I step outside of my office front door on my Sony 5g CHT account.

3 Likes

Need to write another complaint lol

8 posts were split to a new topic: Iptv

10Gbps home internet coming to most Singapore households soon

“The Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) said on Wednesday (Feb 21) that it expects more than half a million households to sign up for the higher speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second (Gbps) by 2028. They may start registering through their internet providers from next year.”

Going to get left behind in the digital age if the government doesn’t incentivize these efforts. Perhaps they can use some of that extra tax money instead of giving refunds.

2 Likes

Taiwan can certainly do it. However nobody really needs it to be honest… I’m even considering slowing my 500mb plan down once my contract ends.

Also with fibre lines… you only need to replace the equipment on either ends to achieve these speeds

400-600 Mbps? What is this? 2017?

Google Fiber has been offering 1Gbps since the mid-2010’s, and most ISPs have since followed suit.

By the time I left the US in 2020, 1Gbps had already been widely available for a couple of years. 10Gbps is rolling out now.

1 Like

fiber to the home has just finally gotten to ~half the US market.

A lot of users that have 1Gbps capability only have high speed download capabilities - xfinity, for example, caps upload speeds to 35Mbps on their 1gig plan.

Google Fiber is available in a very limited number of locations, and often times only a smattering of neighborhoods in the cities they serve.

2 Likes

Super high uploading speeds is generally not necessary for regular household use.

That’s different nowadays with cloud storage.

Neither is super high download speeds, so we’re not talking regular, right? :wink: But were talking 35mbps on a 1gb line. that’s just sad.

35Mbps upload is considered fast. It’s irrelevant how fast the download speeds are. They are used for different purposes.

:face_vomiting:

yeah, d’uh, uploading vs downloading. :stuck_out_tongue: they both just data transfer though. :wink:

Yes, but downloading needs to be fast because you are simultaneously watching the downloaded content while it is still being downloaded. You’re not doing that with uploaded content.

Minimal data is uploaded in regular home internet usage. Who is uploading 4K movies? Probably not very many people.

Except, of course, one download is an upload from somewhere else, so… yeah, so if you’re mostly a pure consumer of data, and you don’t share the connection (with others, or just other devices), 35mbps upload is pretty speedy. :wink:

4k movies, streamed, don’t even need much data, as they’re compressed to hell. not many people might be uploading 4k movies, but we might have 5 cameras uploading 24/7 before we even pop up a zoom call, fire up the VPs, and start to actually work from home. then add the wife’s job. in a typical month, we typically upload 1.5x-2x what we download on our 1gb connection.

edit: halfway through my billing month, with me being on travel both weeks in the month:

speed is all about the ability to handle the baseline load, with enough overhead to make stuff you need / want to do now not be annoying. As I agreed to, yeah, 35mbps is fine for most. but it’s not fast. like a 50mbps download is fine for most, but it’s not fast.

Which means Netflix and YouTube need to have high upload speeds, not you. I think they are doing just fine.

35Mbps is plenty fast to handle Zoom calls and home camera uploads, unless you have a huge network of dozens of cameras.

It depends on use case, but as a software developer that uses containers and kubernetes, sometimes I go through 10 deployments a day, each deployment can be for an environment with 5-10 machines where each container image is ~1 GB (Java base images are larger), so that’s 5-10 GBs per deployment that I need to upload to the cloud, and I’d like to see it done as fast as possible.

So perhaps it’s essential if your nation has many software engineers, which Singapore is trying to attract. Also content creators (i.e. youtubers, influencers) would need fast upload speeds.

2 Likes

Or just remote workers. I regularly need to open 1gb+ files on the company network to work on - it’s be nice to be able to be able to save them from time to time. :wink:

1 Like

I thought we’ve been talking about home internet this whole time. Obviously offices and other professional settings will require high-speed commercial internet packages.

Yea, home Internet… Remote work doesn’t mean you can’t get on the company network (VPN). Work of various sorts is the primary reason most people not running pirate sites need high speed at home.

Revisiting this:

You don’t really need fast speeds for watching downloaded content. For example, Netflix 4k only needs ~15mbps, fhd only needs like 5mbps. But waiting seconds vs minutes vs tens of minutes, upload or download, when working, makes a big difference in being able to work remotely and be effective with remote teams.