10% of Men not the Father of their Children

The way I heard (or read) it was that this was the case the world over, not just in Australia. :astonished:

Apparently our loving wives seem to be taking the evolutionary biology lesson a little to seriously. But then again, it takes two to tango, and then again some of these husbands may have children (they may or may not know about) with other woman whose husbands are also blissfully unaware.

It all works out in the end. Just bag as many as you can while you still got the juice.

[quote]Fox wrote:
That statistic comes from a company called Genetic Technologies. They test paternity cases at a rate of 5 to 6000 a year in Australia. There actual strike rate varies between 40 to 50% however, they are cases where one party, most often the mother, checks paternity. You have to assume that if she checks then she suspects that there is a stong possibility of a child being from an affair. The speaker then made the claim that 10% of all children are not the biological children of their fathers.

Umm … that sounds like he pulled the 10% figure out of thin air. I don’t see how you can extrapolate from a self-selecting sample (of people who have reason to doubt paternity) to the whole population.

Additionally, it is in his companies best interest to overestimate this figure: if you can convince people that this is commonplace, then more people will think about doing a paternity test at his company.[/quote]

You could be right. The speaker, however, said that that figure was based on statistics of population genetics his meaning being that it wasn’t a figure from his organization.

I’d check it out too if my husband went around calling everybody mate.

It is common knowledge in biology that up to 20% of the verbatrate population is “illegitamate.”

It is only natural to ensure the human race only allows the best genes to propagate into the next generation.

So there’s a sucker born every minute as a wise business person use to say. They weren’t kidding with divorce rate approaching 50% in most developed countries.

If one walks the streets in any country and really has a look around, this statement may appear less true than evolutionary biology would have us believe. :slight_smile:

bismarck,

No one ever said the best genes to past done is suppose to make the human race any better.

But anyways yestarday over dinner I made the terrible mistake of taking this conversation into the real world, just for pleasant conversation not about the weather.

Me: “You know I might donate all my money to charity if I discovered after the fact the person I thought to be my son was not my son.”

She: “What if you had more than one child?”

Me: “I would love them equally and guarantee them an equal upbringing to the best of my ability. But I would think the illegitimate child would get less of an inheritance if any at all.”

She: “You disappoint me. The fact of the matter is that child would be my child. How can you claim to treat them equally and say stuff like that.” <flume, flume, slams door>

So the moral of the story.

The woman doesn’t care if the child is illegitimate, since she is certain the child is hers by the mere fact the child popped out of her body.

The guy on the other hand discovering after the fact feels betrayed and will act upon it.

Perhaps I should propose to women with a fake 5 carat diamond ring with forged certificates and false insurance policies. Then when it is discovered that a child is illegitimate, I will just respond so was the ring.

There have been studies about women who conceive with another man and then have her husband or partner believe that it’s his. There is evolutionary theory to back this up as well as examples of this very behavior in other species. What becomes the problem however, is that humans form very strong bonds with their offspring and emotional attachments can be very painfully broken when the object of affection turns out to be lies. As a woman, I would know for sure that a child was mine. I know I can’t imagine what it must be like for a man who would not have such definitive proof that a child was his because he had shared his body with it.

I was raised for my first 7 years (plus the time in utero) by another man who boviously wasn’t my father (especially since he was white). This same man cried when as a smart-mouthed 4-year-old, I told him that he wasn’t my dad. I know he was aware of this fact, but despite this he still accepted me as his own child. Still he never forgot my birthday and always sent me cards full of money, even though he and my mother had been separated for years and he had a daughter of his own, my little sister. When I graduated from university, he drove 9 hours from Florida to Ohio for my commencement and presented me with $1000 USD to help me get started in life. I contacted my biological father after over 20 years of not hearing from him since I was 4. All this time, he had access to me through relatives of my mother, but chose not to contact me anyway. He talked to me for a few times after making the lame excuses for never trying to get a hold of me before, and then within a few months of that initial reunion, faded back out of my life. My real father still remembers my birthday, especially since he was the one who was in the delivery room when I made my entrance. Obviously biological ties had nothing to do with who made a better father to me.

Very true ImaniOU. Any guy can father a child, but it takes a real man to be a Father.

But then again, in the case of a divorce and the second husband adopting a child, sometimes this is the best for all parties concerned. I mean, even women give kids up for adoption. It’s all about the best interests of the child at the end of the day.

Myself, I have the same situation back home with my ex-wife. Her little girl was from a previous relationship and for three years I was the child’s only real father. As such (even though she was not mine biologically) I loved her like my own and still do.

The essence of the argument here is though, when you find out you’ve been decieved by your wife. Been told a child was yours and then later found out the truth. How a person would react here would depend on the individual.