100 Great Things

1. sam_wong

42-49:

Fresh fish everywhere, some of them flying or frying
The top of tall buildings: you are the only person in the world in one of the world’s most densely populated countries.
Cicadas chirping and whizzing in the still night air
Old people exercising on sandy-floored mountain parks
The strangely familiar and almost homely smell of a roadside drain during stiflingly hot days
Hot secretaries on scooters caught without a raincoat during a sudden summer downpour
Sudden summer downpours

Three MAJOR great things come to my mind

1. TW girls
  2. TW food
  3. TW island itself (lots of beautiful places)

buncha others as previously mentioned. But the three i mentioned is what i miss.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“hannes”]
34. No heroin addicts in railway station restrooms.
[/quote]
Nonsense. I was in at least seven of them last week.[/quote]
:roflmao:

1. A resemblance of democracy
  2. Liberty
  3. Hey-Song sarsaparilla

actually we can get heysong sars here in the bay area (99 market) but i think the heysong chee sway (the 7 up copy) is exquisite !

I’m from the UK and have never had such a thing until I came here! I love it but, try very hard not to drink it too much!

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“hannes”]
34. No heroin addicts in railway station restrooms.
[/quote]
Nonsense. I was in at least seven of them last week.[/quote]

You were in seven heroin addicts last week? :astonished:

1. Foreign movies are mostly subtitled not synchronized. Not sure why they make an exception when it comes to HK and Korean movies. I always like to pick up some new words in a foreign language.
  1. You get left alone to go about you business.
  2. Tolerance

mountain chicken
mountain pig
fresh fruit all year round
cycling (just did taroko gorge yesterday - WOW!
tea
coffee, cheap, good, and ubiquitous
butterfly migrations
stick insects
beetles
deer that bark
snakes
camphor trees
banyan trees with hanging vines
flowers blooming all year round
temples
boat burnings
mass pilgrimages
warm as bath water river swimming holes

So what number are we on now?

That stuff is rancid. You know what it reminds me of? Going to the dentist, and then after the checkup the dentist will give you a little cup with some pink mouthwash in it to swill around.
Well, it tastes like that pink mouthwash.

74(?). It never really gets boring in Taiwan.

Like MuMan, I love the insect world too, butterflies and bugs, you always spot new ones.

I think they copied it from the Americans. They have stuff called “rootbeer” which basically tastes the same.

Personally I like it. And pink mouthwash. But yeah … it’s probably not very good for you.

I’m rather keen on “P”. It tastes of chemicals, but it just tickles me that it’s yellow and called “P”. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen it for a while. Anyway, if it still exists, can than be #75?

That’s the crap stuff. Real root beer such as a few small companies still make is quite tasty.

I could probably write my own 200 great things of Taiwan, but since this is a team effort i will just continue from number 75.

-The awesomeness of the Feng Chia Night Market
-The internet cafes
-The Manga Shops
-The closing times of many book stores and manga shops

• Taiwanese girls that are willing to date AND marry foreigners
    -Taiwanese families that are very traditional but are very happy to accept foreigners
    -Feng Chia University (It’s not the best but i love that school)
    -The 50 years of Japanese rule from 1895 to 1945
    -Some of the cheapest transportation to other cities that I know of (China’s bus or train system is more expensive than Taiwan’s)
    -A strong middle-class
    -Lots and lots of temples
    -Puppet shows
    -No anti-American feelings
    -Throwing your trash on the street when no one is looking… only occasionally of course
    -Very accepting of all religions
    -Xbox at McDonalds
    -The importance of video games in the culture
    -The love for Japan which always irritates people from Mainland China
    -The Taiwanese language
    -The Hakka language
    -Danshui in Taipei
    -Pearl Milk Tea
    -Chinese chess (I own at this game)
    -Extremely loyal friends
    -The attitudes of the foreigners in Taiwan (Almost all of the foreigners i run into in Taiwan love Taiwan, the ones that don’t leave quickly)
    -Taiwanese girls that get bangs
    -Taiwanese girls with their slightly croocked teeth (although I love the TW girls with straight teeth)
    -Taiwaese girls SHAVE (unlike their hairy mainland cousins)
    -Taiwanese guys are very welcoming
    -Taiwanese guys are almost never threatening
    -Taiwanese people don’t swear very much

Man, I could go on and on. I listed several more in case some of them overlapped with the previous ones mentioned before.

I love Feng Jia too. It’s a great place.

Yeah. Right they don’t. Most Taiwanese I know, and thinking about it, most Taiwanese I walk past in outside restaurants on the street swear like carpenters with massive thumbs. They are constantly swearing.

And the secrets they have left behind.

Most people will do their utmost to carry out a conversation with you in English if they can.
Teachers wages, considering what you do all day, are amazingly very good. Even 600nt is about £12 per hour, you try getting that in the UK for your first teaching job.
Cheap taxis.
Beer in the cinema.
Abundance of themed room love motels.
Cheap internet.
Lottery numbers on receipts.
People buying you biscuits and cakes every time they go somewhere.
The unbridled joy people still have at looking at a plate of food they have looked at 20 million times before.
Daily rubbish collection (you try operating on a two weekly schedule!)

[quote=“Super Hans”]I love Feng Jia too. It’s a great place.

[quote]Taiwanese people don’t swear very much

Yeah. Right they don’t. Most Taiwanese I know, and thinking about it, most Taiwanese I walk past in outside restaurants on the street swear like carpenters with massive thumbs. They are constantly swearing.

[/quote][/quote]

Hahaha, ok maybe i should have added the word “relatively”. To express my point, let me ask you Super Hans. How many times are you with a young Taiwanese lady that swears more than thrice in one meet up? Our American ladies (as much as we love them) often bust out some stronger words to express their sentiments often, and don’t get me started on the Irish… Personally I don’t enjoy that very much but everyone has different tastes.

Ah but swearing in another language is different. You have to learn how to swear correctly in another tongue so you are probably less likely to hear them say it. Besides, most girls don’t want you to know that they swear like dockyard workers until after they have your balls in a jar and it is too late for you!