11 Dead, Several Others Shot At Pittsburgh Synagogue

Anti-Semitism seems to be back with a force, although to be fair it never really left.

Particularly weird and disturbing that Americans are getting so into it. WWII just doesn’t matter?

Seems he was not a Trump supporter but an active member of the alt-right website Gab.

image image

Motivated primarily by anti-semitism, looks like. I guess he’s not happy with Trump since he’s just not doing enough to exterminate Jews.

1 Like

Not wanting to start another temp thread, but why is this comment even necessary? A guy shoots up a synagogue and you think, “I wonder if he’s a Trump supporter?”

Strikes me as odd. :idunno:

1 Like

It’s also illogical as a rabid anti-Semite is highly unlikely to support Trump who is strongly pro Israel and has Jewish family members.

1 Like

Well, it seems just kneejerky to me.

Guy shoots up a bris…sounds like something one of them CNN vetted Trump supporters would do.

Blech. :nauseated_face:

Was addressing a now deleted comment about how they were waiting for people to blame it on Trump.

3 Likes

gotcha. :+1:

He’s a member of QAnon, which is basically the most loathsome group on the Internet. They’re behind the pizzagate conspiracy and other crap like that. They’re usually racist, anti-Semitic, anti-gay, etc as well.

EDIT: Censored a slur in his tweet

1 Like

They blamed it on Trump themselves, so they had to delete it.
It’s all about proper timing, you know.

Trump’s rhetoric and embrace of the fringe has led to this environment where people like this guy are emboldened. Read up on QAnon.

3 Likes

That would require some kind of anti-Semitic rhetoric from Trump prior to this shooting. I suppose he’s insinuated some Soros conspiracy nonsense, but it seems pretty weak to link Trump to this mass shooting.

1 Like

Are you saying that it was something Trump said or did that caused this synagogue murder? What was it? How do you know this?

For example, how do you know that it’s not the Democrat reaction to Trump’s rhetoric and embrace of the fringe that has led to this environment? How do you know that it wasn’t some Democrat’s rhetoric or reaction to Trump’s “embrace of the fringe” that led to this shooting?

2 Likes

Just blaming all this on Trump is a tribalistic response. I get why so many are unhappy, dislike or even detest Trump and how his rhetoric has contributed to lack of civility. But this fails to accurately depict the overall lack of civility all round or current context of events which gave fuel to conspiracy groups such as QAnon .OrangeManBad types of responses are no more accurately depicting a picture than if you zoomed in on one part of something and claimed that was an accurate representation of the entirety.

1 Like

Where was martial law imposed in the 90s?

I’m saying he contributed to a hostile environment where these individuals have felt emboldened, just like the guy living in his Trump van who sent explosive packages to a bunch of Democratic politicians and leftwing pundits. This guy was a member of QAnon. Do you know what they are and what they believe in? Basically they feel like Trump should go even further to the right and they believe in conspiracy theories that would make even Alex Jones blush. Here are a few at a Trump rally.

And this hostile environment where individuals feel emboldened, has only one contributor, Trump?

Sounds like censorship to me!
I no more have the right to blame Trump for failing his responsibility of keeping racism and hatred out of the population he is responsible for?

Not at all. But he’s the figurehead of the whole movement, isn’t he?

Not at all, I blamed him myself, in part in the previous post. I just suggested if we really wanted to accurately describe what we are seeing, OrangeManBad is not sufficient.

Why won’t he reject the support of anti-Semites/white supremacists like David Duke? Why won’t he condemn Neo-Nazis and their violent behavior?

This isn’t really something to take a “neutral” stance on. It’s pretty cut and dry. People who senselessly hate Jews, black people, and so on, are not in any case “very fine people.”

It makes perfect sense to me that he’s pro-Israel. Yeah, he might not care for Jews, but he hates brown people much much more.

1 Like