11 Dead, Several Others Shot At Pittsburgh Synagogue

He’s the President but he’s not anti-Israel. He’s very pro-Israel, has always been.

As far as any movement, as far as I know QAnon is a twitter account led by an individual known as QAnon, not Trump.

You’re leaping to conclusions if you judge Trump to be solely responsible for the hostility in the US today. Trump is hostile to the Democrat press, yes, but he’s not alone. Also, the bulk of the hostility, the vast bulk, seems to be coming from Trump’s political enemies at this time.

1 Like

That makes sense to you?! Trump hates Jews but he hates Arabs and Iranians more so he only seems to support Israel?

Seriously? And you think QAnon is nutty?

1 Like

QAnon is directly inspired by Trump.

He’s pro-Israel… okay. How come he wouldn’t disavow David Duke’s support during the 2016 election? How come he said the Charlottesville protestors who were chanting “Jews will not replace us” that they were “very fine people”?

I don’t think he’s necessarily anti-Semitic. I do think he only cares about appeasing his base and never condemns them when they do or say something heinous. Which in turn emboldens them to do and say more heinous things since they think they have Trump’s tacit support.

1 Like

If it had been a shooting at a mosque or an immigration center, I’d partly buy the Trump’s the big bad wolf theory.

In this case I don’t. Trump’s contributed to a nasty discourse and undoubtedly has far right support which he hasn’t rejected. However, mass shootings happened frequently when there was a nice guy in the White House. And I’m unaware of any anti Jewish comments from Trump. Plus, this shooter isn’t a Trump supporter.

Possible, but that’s not the same thing as being led by Trump.

It’s a fairly important distinction.

Some of you folks amaze me with the lengths you are willing to go to to stifle your cognitive dissonance.

Of course 45 is advocating hate and violence. It doesn’t have to be towards a specific group. Just that you hate some group is enough. He emboldens those fringe elements that would normally just fester at their laptops into taking violent actions.

3 Likes

:joy: On a side note, @tempogain how does it feel to be called a memeber of the Alt right?

It’s so invigorating!

3 Likes

So, my previous comments were deleted so I’ll try to phrase it in a more neutral tone

Having lived in Asia for 10 years, and tw 1 year I haven’t run in to these right wing theories prior to moving to tw.

Why there are these unconventional views in tw I don’t know, but I find it weird

2 Likes

A lot of people who believe these things now were always sorta leaning that way. They are newly inspired and encouraged by recent events. The ideology has also developed a more definite shape and a large following, which makes it easier for people to subscribe to it.

I gave you a like, but liked the original post without the self-censoring better.

Part of what’s going on here, what’s been going on since Trump was inaugurated, is that some Americans can’t come to grips with the fact that Trump rejects many presidential norms.

He doesn’t make the traditional National Father role, and he’s talked about it. He knows he has a past that’s partly ugly, and he thinks it would be hypocritical to try to use the kind of traditional rhetoric of past presidents.

He’s also breaking new ground. In order to make changes to the US, he’s made the political calculation that he needs to keep his base closest to him (those who voted for him in 2016). So that’s how he acts and it helps explain why he’s hesitant to shed any of his 2016 voters. Is that honorable? Probably not but again Trump is not your father’s prez and he’s been honest about why he doesn’t think it works to act like one.

What’s really happening here is that he’s winning overall and his political opponents therefore want to stop him. They want him to act like a traditional prez because they have made the political calculation that doing so would part Trump from his 2016 base, he has no other solid support, and he would therefore lame-duck himself. Trump isn’t going there, and it pisses the Democrats off to no end.

Trump has been Trump since 2016, he’s not going to change. The hostile environment today has been created by Democrats who are losing and who are shouting at/arguing for/defaming Trump to force him to change his ways.

1 Like

Not that I disagree that Trump trolls his base’s fringe and emboldens the nuttier of them, but does this brushstroke of yers cover the “loyal opposition” at all? Thinking Bernie’s shooter, calls by top shelf Dems to harass GOPers, the SCOTUS debacle, antifa, the not so nice slice of the resistance, etc…

Douchebaggery abounds these days and it comes in all flavors.

2 Likes

Since when did the well-being of an entire country depend on which side “wins”?

If somebody wins, somebody else loses. Someone is happy, but only at the expense of someone else. This just breeds contempt. It’s a deeply toxic way to run a place.

False equivalency. Not even close to the same level of atrocity.

2 Likes

That’s why I listen to the stock market. The banks run the show. We all know it, but refuse to believe it.

Scalise might beg to differ. Also, sorry, but which atrocity? This guy was no fan o’ Don.

1 Like

Since Trump ran on a platform of undoing much of Obama’s and the Democrat’s legacy, on being anti-MSM (fake news), and on a platform of otherwise making America great again.

It’s a transformational presidency, his voters knew that, voted accordingly, and most importantly Trump won. But a transformational presidency is going to piss some people off, of course. It is incumbent on those Americans to be the loyal opposition while acknowledging the victor and what won the election, and not creating a hostile and toxic environment because the other guy won by promising to undo some of their stuff.

It’s pretty simple.

He did not win the popular vote to begin with.
Secondly, there is a lot of voter suppression going on in the US.
Overall, he does not represent the majority in your country.
He is sucking up to a dangerous radical minority who will go to civil war if he is legally removed from office.

Interesting take, as I’d say Obama carried on Bush’s policies, but divided the country by party line. Trump is the one undoing Obama’s legacy and also seems intent on furthering the divide. In my life I’ve never seen such antipathy for a sitting POTUS.