110 Vol to 220 V Transfo urgently needed

We are nearly at the end of our relocation issues but still a few problems to solve like this one.

I let install 220 volt in the new place, but euh…was not aware that my 50 Hz machines do not work due to the 60 Hz here. :fume:

Only solution ; Buy new TV, dryer, laundry machine etc.
:raspberry: For the Fridge, there could be a solution

The consumption is only 110 Watt , si I hope to find a transfo with these spec’s

Input ; 110 V - 60 Hz
Output 220 - 240 V - 50/60 hz and able to feed 110 Watt ( 0,5 Amp no?)
3C and B&Q do not have it.

:help: Cosco? Tesco? Carrefour? Electro shop somewhere?
Need it very soon…the milk is becoming butter and the butter oil :slight_smile:

Cheers and :notworthy: for quick reply!

[quote=“ceevee369”]We are nearly at the end of our relocation issues but still a few problems to solve like this one.

I let install 220 volt in the new place, but euh…was not aware that my 50 Hz machines do not work due to the 60 Hz here. :fume:

The consumption is only 110 Watt , si I hope to find a transfo with these spec’s

Input ; 110 V - 60 Hz

Cheers and :notworthy: for quick reply![/quote]

B&Q DO have these things. However, you can get them in the computer market. I’m going at the weekend if you’re interested. It’s right next to Chungxiao Xinsheng (Sp?) MRT Station. Pretty cheap too. 50 or 60Hz shouldn’t really matter except for timers and stuff.

But did you say you got 220V installed (I highlighted it in bold)? I’m a bit confused.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“ceevee369”]We are nearly at the end of our relocation issues but still a few problems to solve like this one.

Input ; 110 V - 60 Hz

Cheers and :notworthy: for quick reply![/quote]

B&Q DO have these things. However, you can get them in the computer market. I’m going at the weekend if you’re interested. It’s right next to Zhongxiao Xinsheng (Sp?) MRT Station. Pretty cheap too. 50 or 60Hz shouldn’t really matter except for timers and stuff.

But did you say you got 220V installed (I highlighted it in bold)? I’m a bit confused.[/quote]

Indeed, they installed several 220 V boxes (using 2 x 110 Phase) but my material is only supporting 50 Hz. The microwave turns but does not heat, the fridge is heating instead of colling etc…

Keep me informed if you could find a Transfo able to feed 110 Watt, 50 Hz.
I was there, but could not find it…

Hmmm… I only know ones that will output the same frequency that goes in. To change the frequency is a big thing. Needs to be done electronically. Are you sure your fridge didn’t get damaged on the way across? This is seriously strange behaviour. If the gas leaked out (very easily done during transportation), it would do something similar. The microwave could be affected I suppose.

As for the TV, Iit’s probably not going to work over here anyway, but not cos of the power supply.

I run all my Hi-Fi and DVD stuff off a transformer. Before I got the transformer, I just plugged them into where the air conditioning goes. Absolutely no problems with the 60Hz. Have you tested that you’re getting 220v out of those boxes?

P.S. I’m off home now. Might not reply for a while. I’ll let you know if I notice anything at the market tomorrow.

[quote=“irishstu”]
B&Q DO have these things. However, you can get them in the computer market. I’m going at the weekend if you’re interested. It’s right next to Zhongxiao Xinsheng (Sp?) MRT Station. Pretty cheap too.[/quote]

ceevee369,

I’m totally clueless when it comes to electricity and other ‘wonders of man and nature’. Therefore I can’t advise you on what you should do, but I can warn you against buying cheap converters at the said Xinsheng market. Sure, some of them blew-up because I used a 1000W appliance with a 50W converter :blush: (certainly learned that lesson well! theory sucks! all physics should be taught by trial & error!), but some of them just died a slow death. Later some local told me they’re not very reliable.
Altho ugh, I still have one left (out of 5!) and it serves my Braun Epilady beautifully (50W). But I won’t use any of the bigger appliances until I find a more reliable converter. Or a DYI boyfriend who can take over from here :wink:

If you find your answers, please post them, or at least PM me. I’d like to know.

tash

The transformer does not change the frequency to 50Hz, so it would be of no use.
What you are looking at is an extremely expensive converter, so buying new electrical equipment might be the better option.

If you use a transformer (for 60Hz appliances) make sure you buy a rating that is about 30-50% higher than what you require, just to be on the safe side.

Perhaps you should get some convertors from back home and have them sent over. :slight_smile:

I did mention the difference to you about the mhz some time back I believe. I think it went unoticed.

Indeed, the convertor proposed was 130.000 NT…
Had to be man made and seems not to be safe due to magnetic field.

Yep, no I do remember the message about 60 & 50 Hz non-compliancy…

Solution was to buy new fridge, tv, washing machine and microwave :s

Check our move out sales in 2 years !! Some nice offers than :smiley:

I bought a 2000VA transformer at Guang Hwa 3 years ago and it works fine. Not cheap though, NT$2,500. You get what you pay for.

Hard thing to break though. Two big coils stuck together and a fuse. Weighs a ton.

Don’t understand the fridge thing. Won’t the compressor just run a teeny bit slower at 50c/s ? :idunno:

You would think so. This thing must have reversed direction/ cycle somehow and now its a heater.

You would think so. This thing must have reversed direction/ cycle somehow and now its a heater.[/quote]

Only solution is to keep the beers in the oven.

You would think so. This thing must have reversed direction/ cycle somehow and now its a heater.[/quote]

Only solution is to keep the beers in the oven.[/quote] :notworthy: :notworthy:

[quote=“ceevee369”]Indeed, the convertor proposed was 130.000 NT…
[/quote]

Damn, you must really stand out as a foreign expat… they know you have too much money… NT$130,000??? :astonished: :astonished: :noway:

… somebody is telling you porky pies :rainbow: :rainbow:

[quote=“tash”][quote=“irishstu”]
B&Q DO have these things. However, you can get them in the computer market. I’m going at the weekend if you’re interested. It’s right next to Zhongxiao Xinsheng (Sp?) MRT Station. Pretty cheap too.[/quote]

ceevee369,

I’m totally clueless when it comes to electricity and other ‘wonders of man and nature’. Therefore I can’t advise you on what you should do, but I can warn you against buying cheap converters at the said Xinsheng market. Sure, some of them blew-up because I used a 1000W appliance with a 50W converter :blush: (certainly learned that lesson well! theory sucks! all physics should be taught by trial & error!), but some of them just died a slow death. Later some local told me they’re not very reliable.
Altho ugh, I still have one left (out of 5!) and it serves my Braun Epilady beautifully (50W). But I won’t use any of the bigger appliances until I find a more reliable converter. Or a DYI boyfriend who can take over from here :wink:

If you find your answers, please post them, or at least PM me. I’d like to know.

tash[/quote]

Tash, there’s cheap, and there’s CHEAP. Even the good ones are cheap in my opinion over here, and highly reliable (as long as you get a big enough one for your needs). I run all of my audio stuff off a transformer from “said” market. Only cost a few hundred NT. No problems at all. Oh, and I’m an electronic engineer…

If you buy the best 50W transformer in the world and then stick 1000W through it, it’s pretty obvious what’s going to happen.

I agree with stu. Go down to Guanghwa and buy a 2000W one. Should be heavy. And be fused at 10 Amps on the 220V side (it’s written on it). Can’t go wrong. If you exceed 2200 Watts, the fuse will go “pop” and you buy another one. Actually, the socket outlets will probably go “pop” before the transformer.

You probably don’t need 2kW. I do cause the wife runs an electrical device designed to do something with ladies’ hair which consumes 1500W. (No idea what it is)

I agree with 21p :wink: , and he does bring up an interesting point.

Always be careful with things that heat up, e.g. hair-“things”, toasters, kettles, etc. These all tend to use Watts in the thousands, even hough they look small. Meanwhile a massive TV will use much less power.

Anyway, the real problem here is the frequency (50/60Hz), so consider all this as advice for others.

Those heavy transfos are acting like a magnetic field :astonished: and are proven to be dangerous for health, following some locals who tend to know about electricity…
They reccomend to place them outside the house… :loco:

Some of our appliances, like the Philips coffee machine do work on 60 hz, without problems as also the water cooker.
The 3000 W AEG dryer is stored in the basement as well the 2500 W laundry machine and to avoid blowing up the fridge…eh, we storedit also.

Strange thing is the new fridge we bought in 3C.It is connected to 110 V and the side walls do get warm also…
Seems to be normal for this local TECO brand.
…and we only connected the fridge after 12 hours of delivery to lower the Freon.

I never had a fridge cold inside and warm outside, creating probably condensation and over consumption :frowning:

:unamused: If I put the beer in the oven, can I put the Turkey at Thanksgiving in the fridge?

My concentration goes out now to replace my 50Hz television… :s

well, about the tv. what country is it from? the uk?

I posted a new Q regarding the TV as I need to know what could happen if I connect my Sony, supporting 50 hz on the 60 hz circuit…

I do not need an implosion or fire, but do want to see the effect. Maybe Sony only SAYS it supports 50 hz…

bye!

[quote=“ceevee369”]

Strange thing is the new fridge we bought in 3C.It is connected to 110 V and the side walls do get warm also…
Seems to be normal for this local TECO brand.
…and we only connected the fridge after 12 hours of delivery to lower the Freon.

I never had a fridge cold inside and warm outside, creating probably condensation and over consumption :frowning:

:unamused: If I put the beer in the oven, can I put the Turkey at Thanksgiving in the fridge?

My concentration goes out now to replace my 50Hz television… :s[/quote]

No, the fridges get warm outside because they use the side surfaces as heat exchanger :slight_smile: clever … isn’t it.

In the past fridges had this heat exchanger on the backside but this is sub tropical country so here you need more than one exchanger.