125, 150 or 250cc 2-strokes?

Hello all,

I am new to the forum so this subject is probably old news. The good thing is many of you have experience or info on this.

I just moved here in Dec 2007, and I plan on being here for at least a couple years.

I used to race TZ, RS and KR’s in Japan in the early 90’s, and I love riding the TZR, RGV and NSR’s.

My problem, I get conflicting information. I was told if the 250cc 2-stroke is over 20 years old (pre-1988), it is licensable in Taiwan and you can ride it legally. Another person tells me you cannot. The only alternative I can find to the guttless FZR 150 4-stroke and Kymco 125 cc 2-stroke, is the Aprilia 125 and the Cagiva MITO, and they are up around 110,000 to 150,000 NT$ for a decent example.

Do I have any other options for 2-strokers? If I can get one and legally put my name on it, and ride it, how do I do it? I wouldn’t mind an RZR 250 naked bike, but I prefer the fully faired ones.

Does anyone have or know of anywhere I can get a hold of one for a decent price?

I am a motorcycle mechanic (in a past life), so I don’t mind doing a bit of minor work on one, but I don’t want to get a money pit either.

Heck if I could get a hold of an older Duc 748 (in Yellow), I would be very indebted to the finder or seller.

Thanks for the help.

David
dunnman99@yahoo.com

Not quite sure on the legality of it all, but most 250cc 2-strokes i’ve seen are very high priced and aren’t legal. Unfortunately 2-strokes are a dying breed. I rarely ever even see them at the track besides the NSR 150. Have you ruled it out? There are still places that can keep them alive and in good running condition.

We had a little discussion about this a couple of weeks ago, peep the thread called big heavy bikes and how to licence. The general concensus seems to be that you aren’t getting a 2 stroke bigger than 150 on the road legally. A shame but there you go.

Try an NSR-150. Mine is a 1996 model and I bought it in 2000. Just used it for getting to work and there was even a time for nearly 2 years I didn’t even touch it, but this year, thanks to some guys in this forum, I have started using it on the track and as long as this typhoon holds off, I will go in my first proper race this Sunday.

Thanks to all those guys that have given me plenty of tips and pointers for my riding and my bike. You should head out to LongTan to the race track there this Sunday and check it out and then maybe get a better idea of a bike that might suit you in Taiwan.

Tracks in the Taipei area?

If someone can give me an address or general directions how do get there that would be great.

The wife may even agree to a bike more readily if she is sure I won’t be on the road with it. I think any track no matter what shape it is in is safer that Taipei roads. The cagers here have less regards for motorcyclists than anywhere I have ever been…Except maybe India.

Thank you,
Your help is appreciated.

I think Temple, TPS and I are the only 2-strokers left in this forum (no offense.) Anyway, you cannot street legal any 250cc NSR or RS 125cc in Taiwan. The only 2 strokes are the NSR (Kymco) 150cc and the RZR (Yamaha) 135cc. The NSR’s are way more common out at the track, you rarely see the RZR’s anymore.

The 250cc’s are still around, or even the RS 125’s, but Temple is right when he said they are a dying breed. You can surly buy one of those bikes, but they will cause you a lot of trouble unless you are really passionate about them. You could even probably get away with putting a plate on one of those bikes, just to get to the track. If you have any mechanical problems with it though, then you are pretty much fucked (I know that sounds bad, but it is true, unless you have a hook-up.) You really won’t be able to find parts.

If you want a 2-stroke then get an NSR 150cc, they are still easy to come by and parts are still available, but they are becoming scarcer.

The track in is Longtan, only 25 min from Chongli, 35 min from Taoyuan. If you want to come on out anyone of us could help you find it.

I have two NSR’s available for sale, IM me.

Here are 2 links for ya. The one that started it all for me…
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=69123

And hopefully this one will give you a google map of the track. It isn’t that difficult to get to from Taipei, even though I did miss the last turn off the first time I tried to find it…
maps.google.com.tw/maps/mm?ie=UT … 6&t=h&z=15

It takes me about an hour from where I come from in Taipei County, but I ride through Taoyuan and Bade City. Thems are some crazy roads and traffic to negotiate… Temple takes a back way and is a bit quicker.

I will leave HsinChuang around 8:30am this Saturday for practice day if you are interested and will leave HsinChuang around 7:00am on Sunday for race day, typhoon permitting…
Let us know if you are interested in heading out there for a look.

Ha, and my ex-wife, when she wasn’t “ex” on buying my bike. " What do you want that for? you always have to change gears, so inconvenient, someone will probaly steal it… Just buy an old scooter…" Ha, still got the bike after all this time…

It would be great to have another racer out there. Help keep the foreigner racing community alive and growing! The road I take goes from banqiao-tucheng-sanxia-daxi-longtan. Theres a nice country ride along the way. Once you make it to longtan, follow the brown signs for the “Window on china” amusement park and you’ll pass by the turn off for the track. The turn is a right after you climb a hill and see a hi-life. Here is the website www.gamfa.com.tw We will be out there both saturday and sunday for the race this weekend. You’re more than welcome to come take a look.

actually, I just stopped by a mechanic I know who has that exact bike. Or at least he had it. He just sold it to someone for 400k. He also mentioned theres only 4 or 5 of those bikes in Taiwan :doh:

I have a 135cc RZR that I would love to see go to a good home. Selling it is more trouble than it’s worth so if you go through either the ownership transfer or bao fei it’s yours. It’s probably one of the best condition RZRs left on the island. It runs but if you want to race it the engine will have to be rebuilt properly. I put about $30k into it just before I bought a big bike and right now it’s sitting outside MJB’s house feeling lonely.

Someone should take that off your hands. I would but I have my NSR plus a couple more to worry about. Have you ever thought about renting it out for a track bike. If someone wants to get on the track on a Saturday, rent it to them for 2 sessions. Just a thought. If you just want to get rid of it, why not take it to a couple of shops and see how much a shop would give you for it. They would also take care of the ownership transfer fee. You could always give it a try and advertise it on Tealit/Taiwanted. I think you could get rid of it and still make a buck.

What happened to the original poster of this post??

You want to get rid of that bike, I’d use tealit.com; they seem to go pretty quick on there and once you post it, it can be out of your mind until someone contacts you. Let the 'Net do the work for you… :slight_smile:

The bummer about two-smokes is that the government is always in the process of banning them, to the point where it’s hard to find any dealer who will touch them for a trade-in, which sucks.

I want to get a new bike (I’m on a stripped-down custom Yamaha RXZ 135 now), but I need to find a buyer for this one first…if not, I’m going to re-paint this one to at least make it feel new…lol

forums.mycotopia.net/attachments … maha-3.jpg

Two-strokes, in terms of puchase, can be great bikes to cut a deal on; I talked mine down to 3/4 of the asking price without even speaking the same language as the guy I bought it from. They know they’re not going to be able to sell them forever, so they’re looking to move them, if you can find them.

looks pretty nice… welcome to our 2-stroke club. 2-stroke 4 life! :ponder: (or untill they die)

Someone should take that off your hands. I would but I have my NSR plus a couple more to worry about. Have you ever thought about renting it out for a track bike. If someone wants to get on the track on a Saturday, rent it to them for 2 sessions. Just a thought. If you just want to get rid of it, why not take it to a couple of shops and see how much a shop would give you for it. They would also take care of the ownership transfer fee. You could always give it a try and advertise it on Tealit/Taiwanted. I think you could get rid of it and still make a buck.

What happened to the original poster of this post??[/quote]

Jeremey at Bike Farm rents out RZR’s, so in a sense that’d be a “good home”, since he’ll have a pool of bits and will probably be able to keep it going for longer than an individual would. On the other hand, it’ll be a rental so it might get abused. (Sentimental, but old iron can get you that way.)

He was interested in taking mine (at a realistically token price) but I decided to hold off for now in the hope of getting it legal.

Jeremy’s not doing rentals anymore.

I sent the RZR up to MJB’s place in Zhongli about a year ago so Forumosans without bikes could use it on the Longtan track. It didn’t really work out though because nobody seemed to use it so I gave it to MJB for his daughter to use. She has decided that bikes are boring so now I fear the thing is just a burden on MJB to keep starting up.

People have been PMing me asking why I won’t sell it. I bought it from MJB years ago for $10k then put about $30k into it but if I sold it I would maybe get $10k if that. I am in the middle of setting up a new factory and $10k is nowhere near enough to make up for the time lost in running around changing fairings and messing about with registrations etc. And that’s assuming I’m not getting called every 5 minutes after the sale by someone unhappy with x, y or z. No thanks.

So the idea is that if someone is willing to put the bike back to its original faired spec and pass inspection then do all the back and forth nonsense with the DMV you obviously need the bike more than I do and it’s yours. To be honest I think it’s been left for so long I’m not even sure if the registration has lapsed beyond all hope :ponder: MJB reckons the race pipe is too noisy for street use (I beg to differ :p) so I guess it would be easiest just to turn the plate in, bao fei the damn thing and just use it on a track somewhere.

[quote=“llary”]I sent the RZR up to MJB’s place in Zhongli about a year ago so Forumosans without bikes could use it on the Longtan track. It didn’t really work out though because nobody seemed to use it so I gave it to MJB for his daughter to use. She has decided that bikes are boring so now I fear the thing is just a burden on MJB to keep starting up.

People have been PMing me asking why I won’t sell it. I bought it from MJB years ago for $10k then put about $30k into it but if I sold it I would maybe get $10k if that. I am in the middle of setting up a new factory and $10k is nowhere near enough to make up for the time lost in running around changing fairings and messing about with registrations etc. And that’s assuming I’m not getting called every 5 minutes after the sale by someone unhappy with x, y or z. No thanks.

So the idea is that if someone is willing to put the bike back to its original faired spec and pass inspection then do all the back and forth nonsense with the DMV you obviously need the bike more than I do and it’s yours. To be honest I think it’s been left for so long I’m not even sure if the registration has lapsed beyond all hope :ponder: MJB reckons the race pipe is too noisy for street use (I beg to differ :p) so I guess it would be easiest just to turn the plate in, bao fei the damn thing and just use it on a track somewhere.[/quote]

The bike is getting a new back tire, and then I’ll be looking for the stock exhaust and a fairing to see if it can be legally re-registered. My local bike shop buddies are willing to help out.

It is a nice riding bike, and very stable for it’s age. If nobody is interested, then it’ll be happy to be taken out once a week or so for a romp in the foothills behind my house, but if somebody out there wants to have a look at the bike, please PM me.

joesax mentioned:

“I was on an RZX which was faster on the straights. But he did a reasonable job of keeping up on the corners, in more comfort and style than the RZX which was bucking around all over the place.”

What is it about the RZX that makes the handling this way? Frame geometry, suspension, brakes? Seems there’s enough aftermarket goods to help improve handling.

[quote=“twricky”]joesax mentioned:

What is it about the RZX that makes the handling this way? Frame geometry, suspension, brakes? Seems there’s enough aftermarket goods to help improve handling.[/quote]

The stock RZR’s suspension is horrible, (same with the NSR), the stock tires are probably a Taiwan rip off of Bridgestone’s or Dunlop’s, which has less grip than a new born baby. There are plenty of aftermarket parts for these bikes about 15 years ago. You can still find parts for them, but it is getting harder and harder unless you have a hookup. If you want to make the suspension, brakes, and engine better these bikes require a lot more customization than your average scooter or newer motorcycle. Also the RZX was never that popular in Taiwan, so they are extremely rare nowadays, and if you are looking for replacement parts or performance parts…well good luck. In the 4 years I have been here, I have just reccently found a mechanic that can find parts, customize, tune, and fix these old 2-strokes.

Not sure how old these pics are but this guy seems to have a source to RZR/RZX factory parts:

http://www.wretch.cc/album/modelgiro

Some pretty amazing transformations.