14,000 NTD for a room in Da'An?

That I would never consider… Gotta have AC in the summer.

If the rent is cheap enough you can buy one.

I guess so, a floor standing portable AC unit is around 10-15k.

How good are they are making the whole room cold though?

That’s why you want a window. You can buy a window ac for around that (less if used), and they will work better than standing portable ones.

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t expect so many replies. Thanks a lot!

In the apartment, there are 3 rooms in total (and the landlord lives in one of them) + 1 bathroom. Other than that, it has a kitchen, elevator, and security.
I thought the price was pretty average considering the location. I saw a plenty of rooms on that FB “Looking for roommates in Taipei” page and on MyRoomAbroad and all of them were around the price of 12,000-16,000 NTD/month.
Regarding the landlord, he seems pretty honest. Last week we spent 50 minutes talking on the phone, he explained everything to me, yesterday we spoke for around 40 minutes. Then, he sent me the contract to look at it beforehand.
The apartment should be fairly newly reconstructed.

So, you guys are saying it’s better to come to Taipei and check out the rooms in person. I will have around 14 days to do that before the school starts - is it realistic? Kinda stressed out about this.
And what’s the deal about Shida lol? :smiley:

That was the way it used to be.

How about Yilan? Fo Guang University.

Or Tainan? Better weather, great food. SYS University.

Yes. Check it out. Smell it. Breathe in and out. Jump on that wood floor. Picture living months in it.

Looks nice though. Shared bathroom it is. Any pics of that?

But no matter how honest the landlord is, bring witnesses. Check the fine print.

Ask about the rules of the household. Who has keys. Etc.

1 Like

Not good. And they spend a lot of power so $$$$ bye bye.

Doesn’t sound like you have many competitors…

1 Like

FB_IMG_1563337834280
This is the photo of the bathroom. And actually, the landlord has his own one.

As I’m reading through the contract, the only rules are that we shouldn’t smoke there, shower after midnight, bring a ton of people there, put nails in the walls, lock the door (so it means everyone has their own key).

1 Like

He told me that he apparently has some people who are interested in this room as well and that he tries to spend a lot of time with everyone. But idk how believable that is lol, considering he works full-time.

Sounds reasonable. Much better deal than what we got. I’d take it. Anyways, you have to be here to sign the paperwork and give the deposit money.

Is your tuition covered? I think you have to pay your NHI national insurance out of the scholarship money.

He actually wants me to send one half of the deposit over to his bank, so that the room is reserved for me. And then I’d pay him the other half in cash once I’m in Taipei.

Nope, the tuition is not covered. I will be paying for that from my savings. And I think that I can’t even have the NHI insurance because I won’t have ARC. But I read that I will have to pay for the insurance which the school provides, that one is like 300 NTD/month. Not too bad I guess.

Regarding the room - he told me that at the beginning, I’ll have to pay 1000 NTD for the water filter. It’s a one time payment. That’s quite nice I think because it will save me a lot of money each month - around 1500 NTD according to my calculations. Otherwise, I’d have to pay for my own water from the supermarket. What do you guys think about this? How much is one bottle of water, around 25 NTD?

I hate to say it but that kind of furnishing isn’t worth 14,000 a month.

Also don’t live with the landlord. They’ll be like a helicopter parent to you!

For that much I expect much better furnishing, like REAL (not fake) wooden floor, or polished stone floor, soft lighting, much better bathrooms than that.

That kind of furnishing is only worth 5000 a month, maybe because it’s Daan it’s worth more but seriously you can live in New Taipei City, be reasonably close to MRT, and a 30 day pass is only 1280nt a month.

I’ve seen much nicer places in Danshui go for less than that. 14,000 and you can rent an entire flat, and then split it with other people.

2 Likes

If you are on a scholarship and eventually staying a full year, you will have to pay NHI 4 months down the line. The school´s insurance is separate.

We often get sick in the first months and a vist to the doctor without NHI is about 650 NTD mroe or less, with it 150 NTD. And it is compulsory.

Tuition is like 10K a month, books like 2 or 3k. Meals are 200 average in Shida now, then there are snacks, driks, outings, etc.

You really need to sit down and figure out the money or bring extra cash.

A bottle, or rather, a gallon of water can be anywhere from 45 NTD to 80 NTD, depending on where you buy it -supermarket to convenience store comparison. Now, hauling that ain´t fun. 1000 for teh filter? Any restrictions in use. Yes, it would be a saving in convenience and costs, as everyone carries a bottle of water -and an umbrella’ to school, it gets pretty humid and stuffy in summer and humid in winter and you need to hydrate a lot.

One more time: have you talked about deposit? How many months?

I wouldn´t go all the way to Tamsui -that´s a daily one hour commute- but 20 minutes out might be workable. Again, it depends on the individual. It is nice to be clos eto school to study togetehr and do homework and in case of emergency/accidents/whatever.

Believe me when I tell you that place is a palace compared to otehrs around Shida, including those I lived in. Heck, all the tiles in the bathroom match, which is not the case in my home. But we put up with it because we needed to be close to the unievrsity, post 911 and all that. And new arrivals doing one hour commutes will get depressed pretty quickly.

That said, it may not be a good option given that OP has a 25k scholarship and has to get room, board, tuition and assorted expenses out of that.

I think OP has to sit down and do a recount of his expenses to see if he really can afford this. Or if his parents will have to fiannce his room, at least for a year.

Yep, living with a landlord is something I’m a bit hesistant on as well. It’s nice that he will make sure the place stays calm so that we could study without some party happening in the next room. BUT I’m a bit worried he would watch my every move lol.

Considering that most Americans spend an hour commuting BY CAR each way, I don’t think it’s that bad.

Doesn’t have to be Danshui either, Sanchong isn’t that far from Taipei (cross a bridge in Ximen and you’re in Sanchong) with buses that will get you there faster than the MRT. But in a few months a section of the circular MRT will open up and it will save a lot of going around on the MRT so keep that in mind. Rent in Xinjhuan for example is about the same as Danshui.

Most of these kids are barely out of highschool/college and have not yet experienced that. Nor all of them are Americans.

From Shida, best options are Linchuang, Dingxi, Wanglong. Something in a single strait line to MRT Guting -and from there a 10 minute walk/bike to the MTC.

Sure, but how much are you paying every month for @Gain to be your houseboy??

Not everyone can afford the same lavish lifestyle as you, you know.