15 years ago, this site was a whole lot better.

You asked! Since you’re an admin, maybe you could just delete my account and get me off here? This place is awful and a waste of life.

1 Like

That’s fine …or :more desirable, satisfactory, or effective.
or: improve on or surpass (an existing or previous level or achievement).

:grinning:

1 Like

Awww.

That’s not what I mean at all. Not sure if you’re being intentionally obtuse here, but of course your experience, like mine, is anecdotal and limited by small sample size. Your experience growing up was much different than mine because we, uh, grew up in different places. America is, after all, a big country.

Black people hating Asians is an extremely common thing in California. I’m surprised you’ve never heard of it, but if you’re interested in learning, just look up the 1992 Los Angeles riots.

1 Like

Hey C, Chill. Any Forum will have views that we disagree with and find questionable, but the Mods ( except the authoratarian Tempogain) keep it pretty fair. It’s good to see new posters. Just take the banter with a pinch of salt, as we do that , not to offend , but to smile together. Sorry if it feels like poking with a stick but you also generalized a bit and showed your opinions early on. Some have supported those views, some have not. Oops am I rambling again? Anyway stay strong. Wait…:wink:

5 Likes

Thank you. Unfortunately, all it takes is a few rotten eggs to ruin the bunch. This forum is not what a forum for expats in Taiwan ought to be, and has been of almost no use to me since I signed up. And for some odd reason, I see the same people posting on every post going years back. Not really the community I am looking for. If I wanted to join an echo chamber, I would join one that I actually agree with. I’m not trying to make a statement by having my account deleted, I just don’t want to waste my time becoming a keyboard warrior and legitimately want out.

2 Likes

There’s nothing stopping you from leaving (except for the addictive nature of the Discourse interface and the personal magnetism of our God-Emperor, Discobot).

Alternatively, you can ignore the political threads. :slight_smile: :rainbow:

3 Likes

Our mods are working on this as we speak.

7 Likes

There …fixed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLCoYrmZwk

As in most things, you get out of it as much as you put into it. If you need information on practical matters related to living in Taiwan, I have no doubt you’ll be able to find it in the appropriate threads.

But if you’re not interested in lively political discussion, it may be a good idea not to express political opinions on controversial subjects. As the old saying goes: If you can’t take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Again, if you have any questions on practical matters, don’t hesitate to ask.

1 Like

When did you guys start discussing racial problems in Japan and US?

Mods, should I use off topic flags?

im a bit interested in what kind of forum is for expats in Taiwan ought to be. whether this forum is no use depends on what you want from this forum. what is better is not universal too.

3 Likes

Web forums are by nature an echo chamber. Reddit is another great example where one is afraid to comment something that the hive mind disagrees with because you’ll be down voted to infinity.

At least here we can all agree to disagree without our posts being buried.

1 Like

Why not try contributing to other threads that interest you, before leaving. I’ve been here for 11 years and the people have certainly rotated. I don’t think that is either for the better or for the worse, but what I observe has happened since the forum moved across to discourse is the reduction in the length of posts and serious discussion. I suspect this has a lot to do with folks now accessing the forum from their smartphones, and using phones is just not conducive to banging out 500 words of constructive input. So it veers more towards the banal and the frivolous, these days. My 2 cents.

5 Likes

I think Nuit just nailed it about the shorter posts and less serious discussion.

My observation is we now have tons more threads, fewer lengthy posts, more off-the-cuff remarks (for better or worse), less in-depth engagement.

You folks heard of the slow food movement? Maybe we need a slow forumosa movement–slow things down, do some writing, do some thinking. No guarantees that this would be “better” but I am confident it would be more useful to our community.

Guy

the truth has been spoken. Typing on smart phones is a pain. I avoid writing long replies or threads when I’m on the go because the painful typing plus the unhelpful autocorrect make for a miserable combination.

I lived in Taiwan over 30 years ago and left around 20 years ago when my wife died. The palpable relief and freedom to leave Taiwan for a better life was a great joy to behold. We had a great marriage and no kids but she was stuck in living in Taiwan as everything was convenient for her, not so much me.

I travel back frequently and can see a lot of the new infrastructure and the cites like Kaohsiung are really nice now. I just spent a few days there down by the harbor. The LRT and MRT make getting around really nice. Took a nice cruise.

Thing is a lot of bitter expats live in Taiwan because of a wife or children and they feel tethered down and lack the guts to make a choice to leave. Then they get into a rut of poor employment choices. Some expats seem tho thrive by doing business but Taiwan is still 5th rate.

There were a lot of smart people on this forum 15 years ago and I assume many moved on to better things. Also FB where they can just relate with people they actually have as friends rather than just hanging out with their own kind because they in reality don’t like Taiwanese people very much. You can see a lot of that on the threads.

my 2 cents. Just checked into to fly back home to the US for awhile and the airline staff ask me what is my favorite place in Taiwan. They look a bit queer when I reply the international airport as I leave.

I wish I had 2 passports.

Thank you for sharing your interesting perspective. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you mean there are not so many smart people on this forum now?