1500/NT hour

Hi, Everyone,

How did the infamous Kaohsiung David make NT 1500/hour, when every job I see pays 600-700?

Could an agent help me with that?

Schwaiguy

because the best jobs rarely advertise

Train in some aspect of higher lever teaching, then get good at it; get a reputation. Work will come to you.

Is that like on the trapeze?

Thanks, Guys,

Not making any long-term plans, but I’m weighing the US vs. Taiwan sitaution long-term. U’s in the US pay double the money and feature great pensions. Here there seems to be more opportunity for free enterprise. But, being new, I haven’t run across any.

Where I’m at now is a good place to be while I’m working on the higher level teaching credentials. In the US, I had four jobs. Had I not come here, I could realistically see the degree running out.

Schwaiguy

Stay in the US. Double the money sounds good to me, and benefits are not to be looked at lightly.

Yeah, this ain’t the place to make big money anymore. Stay where you’re at, or go to Dubai… but Taiwan, Korea, and Japan are mature markets. Give them a miss.

Yes, the UAE (Dubai or one of the other cities in the country) is by far the best place for teachers to make money these days. The salary and benefits far surpass anything in Taiwan, and the workday is much shorter.

Guys, Thanks,

I’m actually in Taiwan now. It’s quiet compared to the US. I’m making a lot more progress towards my degree. In the US, I freeway flew to 2 schools, 2 hours apart and worked security evenings and weekends. I’m actually buckling down here until either I finish the Ph.D. or the wife does and finds a full-time job in the US.

I was thinking of starting a post on Dave’s about the best country to teach English with a Ph.D. I actually wrote him suggesting a forum for higher education issues. Considerations such as workload, money, environment, cost of living, friendliness of hosts would play a role. But, each individual would be looking for different things. For example, how do you rate a Korean National University vs. a US Community college? Based on my experience, full-time at a US CC, you’ll work more: at the Korean National University, they’ll probably generally leave you alone because you’re foreign. But, there are pensions to consider, and, unless you are an ethnic Korean, they’ll push you out the door after 4-5 years. In Abu Dhabi, where I’d go see the world grappling championships, I probably wouldn’t be groped by Japanese women on the subway, or my sexually-charged female students wouldn’t eye me up like they were planning a gangrape.

In Taiwan, upon completion of our degrees, my wife and I could stay in the same city, open a gray-area group tutoring center, and work as educational agents–ie, free enterprise. But, consider I lived in Korea 18 months and had one private the whole time. In Taiwan, I haven’t run across anything like that (in my 1 month here, LOL). Don’t Taiwanese professors’s salaries plateau at US$32-$35K. Some of my professors in the state system back home brought in $90-$100K each year. Also, the pensions leave a lot to be desired. And, would my wife and I be able to find a job in the same city in the US?

Also, I talked to a doctor in the US. He told me to come back to the US by the time I’m 50 because of the medical infrastructure. I add the caveat, if I have a job that provides me benefits such as health insurance. However, a colleague suggested learning Mandarin and moving to Hong Kong. . . And don’t forget Shanghai . . .

Given my choice, I’d probably go back to one of the schools I taught in the US, but full-time. The best job I ever had was working at a nightclub. It literally made me high, with the booze, the cash, the women, and even, sometimes, the weapons. The only job that came anywhere near that was teaching Intercultural Communication: it never made me high, but it was life-changing. But, going back to the rather small town I grew up in, especially after having lived in the different places I have, I’d probably be bored and feel like a hick . . .

Anyone else have the same type of problems ? ? ?

Schwaiguy

My husband and I moved to the UAE in August and I think it’s a great place to teach at the moment if you teach at the university level. We both have our Masters, but there are plenty of people here with PhDs who are making gobs of money in the education sector.

To give you an idea of what the typical package is like here for those with a Masters in the field, we are each getting paid about US $45,000 a year tax free, free housing, flights home every year, full medical coverage, shipping and settling in allowances (totalling about US $10,000), a yearly bonus equalling one month’s pay for every year taught, and 3 months of paid holiday time. We teach about 16 hours a week (an “hour” is actually 45 to 50 minutes). Also, if we had kids, the university would pay for up to three children to attend an international school here, plus their flights home every year (as well as a spouse) and full medical and everything else for your family. A huge benefit!

We used to save decent money in Taiwan, but we really had to work for it. We were working double the amount of hours as we are now for less pay, and we didn’t have any perks like flights home or housing. By the way, housing here costs a fortune, so that’s a big benefit…we live in a smallish city an hour from Dubai and the housing prices are similar to Taipei, and we were given a new 3 bedroom villa.

I have been researching places to live and teach for years…ever since I arrived in Taiwan :smiley:. I came to the conclusion that for the cost of living, quality of life, and salary/benefits packages, the UAE is a great place for teachers who have qualifications in the field.

There are a few downsides, though…if you go to Dubai, the construction and craziness of the place may do your head in after a while. If you go to one of the smaller cities, you may get bored senseless. We are already missing the excitement of Asia and the interesting expats we met in Taiwan over the years, not to mention close friends we have left. It’s very quiet here, and family-oriented, and there is very little interaction between Westerners and Emeritis. However, it’s very diverse with a huge international population, and the quality of life is very high. It’s also cheaper than Taiwan (except for housing).

Anyway, with a PhD you would get paid much more than I am, and I think that when you factor in taxes at home (everything is tax free here) and the higher living expenses, not to mention nice free housing here, you would probably do much better financially in the UAE. There are many American professors here for that reason, and for the experience of living in the Middle East.

Of course, another negative is living through Ramadan… :s It’s hard work this month!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Er…the UAE is in Asia.

Indiana,

Thanks for the tip. I heard through the ESL grapevine that teaching in Saudi Arabia was pretty crazy: living in a compund, a guy’s wife getting fined for smoking in public, etc. I’m guessing that the UAE is a lot more laid back than that.

What you’re saying sounds great. But, my wife is Taiwanese, finishing her degree in the US right now. I’d like to go to a place where we can live comfortably in the same city and save money. Preferably, I’d like to stash away $20-$30K or more per year for retirement. How would she fare in the UAE vs. Taiwan? Would they even want her? And,what’s the deal with Ramadan? Everyody’s angry because they’re fasting?

As screwed up as Korea and Taiwan were/are, I tend to fit in smoothly with these East Asian cultures. I’d be scared the Middle East would seem foreign to me. And, after my first year in Asia, I base my job search on proximity to a Costco.

Does anyone have a link in English to the Taiwanese MOE’s professors’ salary charts? I hear it’s pretty much the same across the board. Also, what’s the deal with a China/Taiwan war? I saw it on Michael Turton’s page, but the link was dead.

Finally, does anyone know what teaching and living are like in HK these days? Especially, how well is Mandarin filtering in?

Thanks,

Schwaiguy

Er…the UAE is in Asia.[/quote]

:laughing: should have been more specific…we are missing the excitement of north and southeast asia… :laughing:

Indiana,

Thanks for the tip. I heard through the ESL grapevine that teaching in Saudi Arabia was pretty crazy: living in a compund, a guy’s wife getting fined for smoking in public, etc. I’m guessing that the UAE is a lot more laid back than that.

What you’re saying sounds great. But, my wife is Taiwanese, finishing her degree in the US right now. I’d like to go to a place where we can live comfortably in the same city and save money. Preferably, I’d like to stash away $20-$30K or more per year for retirement. How would she fare in the UAE vs. Taiwan? Would they even want her? And,what’s the deal with Ramadan? Everyody’s angry because they’re fasting?

As screwed up as Korea and Taiwan were/are, I tend to fit in smoothly with these East Asian cultures. I’d be scared the Middle East would seem foreign to me. And, after my first year in Asia, I base my job search on proximity to a Costco.

Does anyone have a link in English to the Taiwanese MOE’s professors’ salary charts? I hear it’s pretty much the same across the board. Also, what’s the deal with a China/Taiwan war? I saw it on Michael Turton’s page, but the link was dead.

Finally, does anyone know what teaching and living are like in HK these days? Especially, how well is Mandarin filtering in?

Thanks,

Schwaiguy[/quote]

Yes, Saudi is pretty crazy from what I’ve heard…I have met a good number of teachers here in the UAE who taught there previously, usually lasting for just a year. The UAE is completely different, and is the most laid-back, lively place in the Gulf (especially Dubai).

What will your wife’s degree be in? A lot depends on that. There are people living and working here from all over Asia, and there should be no problem with her getting work as long as she is in a demanded field. If her degree is in TEFL or something related, though, she would have a tough time getting teaching jobs…they want native speakers.

No, people are not angry during Ramadan…it’s just a pain because everything is closed during the day and we can’t eat or drink in public. It’s tough during the teaching day, and you really have to plan your day around eating times…you can’t go out on a day trip and just pop into a little restaurant for a bite to eat, and we can’t drink water in class when teaching. Also, the students are up late at night eating and spending time with their families, and then they are up again at around 4:00 a.m. to pray and eat before the sun rises. So, you can imagine how alert they are in class this month… :sleepy:

Yes, it’s obviously very different here from Taiwan. There are a lot of teachers here who have previously taught in Korea and Japan, and a few I have met who have taught in Taiwan…they all tend to agree that it’s more pleasant living here and there is more money to be earned, but that it can be a bit boring unless you live in Dubai. It takes some getting used to after having the nonstop, 24 hour excitement of Taiwan.

We don’t have Costco here, but we have supermarkets that are more like they are at home, along with some great international foods. I have been able to find everything I need here, even though I live outside of Dubai. We even have a (normal) Carrefour!!!

Indiana, do you know if the pay is better for new teachers in Dubai as well? It seems that you are talking about jobs for professional teachers and those teaching at the university level.

Indiana, do you know if the pay is better for new teachers in Dubai as well? It seems that you are talking about jobs for professional teachers and those teaching at the university level.

It depends, Persephone…what are your qualifications?

I’m curious what people with non-education related bachelors are getting paid? No masters or education degree etc.

I’m curious what people with non-education related bachelors are getting paid? No masters or education degree etc.[/quote]

I think that without a related degree, teaching qualification, or some sort of certification (i.e. CELTA or TEFL cert), it would be nearly impossible to get teaching work here. Not to say that it can’t happen…but I think that the MOE hs requirements for work permits. I magine those who are working without qualifications might be working for dodgy schools under the table (i.e. here on their spouse’s visa, or something like that).

If you want to come here, you would need to at least get a CELTA or something similar (I don’t think it would matter much what your bachelors was in if you had a CELTA and some years of experience). Salaries might be somewhere in the arena of US$20,000 to $25,000 a year (I think) through a language school, and probably housing or a housing allowance thrown in. If I’m not mistaken, the British Council may hire teachers with a CELTA and 5 or more years of experience. It would also help to try and get some exam prep teaching experience if you are interested in teaching adults (IELTS or TOEFL).

I’m curious what people with non-education related bachelors are getting paid? No masters or education degree etc.[/quote]

I think that without a related degree, teaching qualification, or some sort of certification (i.e. CELTA or TEFL cert), it would be nearly impossible to get teaching work here. Not to say that it can’t happen…but I think that the MOE hs requirements for work permits. I magine those who are working without qualifications might be working for dodgy schools under the table (i.e. here on their spouse’s visa, or something like that).

If you want to come here, you would need to at least get a CELTA or something similar (I don’t think it would matter much what your bachelors was in if you had a CELTA and some years of experience). Salaries might be somewhere in the arena of US$20,000 to $25,000 a year (I think) through a language school, and probably housing or a housing allowance thrown in. If I’m not mistaken, the British Council may hire teachers with a CELTA and 5 or more years of experience. It would also help to try and get some exam prep teaching experience if you are interested in teaching adults (IELTS or TOEFL).[/quote]

Thanks, Creztor. That was the question I meant to ask. I had looked at some ads online, and I got the impression that people with no qualifications could get a job, but the pay was the same as Taiwan. So, I was looking for some confirmation. Indiana, thanks for your response.