154 dead after crush during Halloween festivities in Itaewon, South Korea

Actually at least 26 foreign nationals died, from at least 14 different countries. Most were in their late teens and early twenties.

2 Likes

They did, and then the bars got full. When people started dying in the streets, the bars shut the doors to keep curious patrons from going outside, and they were trapped in there for hours. By the time some of the bars reopened, emergency workers had already started carrying away the bodies.

True although drugs are a big problem in the district.

Two days before tens of thousands of partygoers gathered for the wildly popular Halloween celebrations in Itaewon, the surrounding Yongsan district unveiled its safety countermeasures for the expected celebrations. They addressed coronavirus prevention, street cleanliness, restaurant safety inspections and crackdowns on potential use of drugs.
Halloween crowd crush shows gaps in Korea safety rules, experts say - The Washington Post

This type of study has been done many times before. The research is there. Look at the crowd management at large festivals.

They have the crowd sectioned off from each other. Effectively making the crowd into many smaller crowds which are easier to manage.

Also. It once again shocks me how easily people are distracted from the real issue. Throw a few populist idealist politicised words and boom. Easier to control the messaging. Far out. Use your brain.

26 foreigners among the dead.

That Reuters article was really off in saying two then.

Maybe a useful Twitter thread in how to avoid, and respond to, such situations.

I took first aid training decades ago, but boy do I need to review that material.

6 Likes

South Korea’s interior ministry has been giving an update on the casualty figures.

They confirm that 154 people died. Of these, 98 were women and 56 were men.

The victims were overwhelmingly young - more than a hundred of them were aged in their 20s. Eleven teenagers died and thirty people aged in their thirties.

There were 26 foreigners among those who died - five Iranians, four Chinese, four Russians, two Americans, two Japanese, and one from each of France, Australia, Norway, Austria, Vietnam, Thailand, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Sri Lanka.

More than 130 people were hurt including 37 with serious injuries.

source:
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-63442399?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=635f274349d9ef23494b8a36%26Many%20more%20women%20died%20than%20men%262022-10-31T01%3A41%3A30.054Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:3af27051-4915-4cde-9ea9-05cca5699aa8&pinned_post_asset_id=635f274349d9ef23494b8a36&pinned_post_type=share

4 Likes

7 Likes

link?
I can’t find video of anything but the aftermath, and news stories.

Found this

Crazy. Like they’re wedged in there??

In the first video, has someone added some cattle or other live stock sound? O_o

Either that or it’s a slowed down video, but it doesn’t look that it’s as slow as for transforming human voice into cattle voice…

Someone added sound

And the idiots on the news outlet didn’t check it or noticed it before using it? if relatives ever run into that video, they aren’t going to be exactly happy.

The name of the outlet is “Nextapple” which tells me it’s a tabloid. The last thing they care about is upsetting the grieving families of the dead.

Yeah super crazy. It’s like they are interlocked - you can see the police found it incredibly difficult to pull people out - they look astonished and confused. There must be some study into best techniques for removing people from an interlocked crush like this.

I’m thinking the fastest way to release the pressure would be from the sides, bring in some emergency construction jacks that can expand across the alley and essentially knock down sections of the walls - some of the links above mentioned that people at the walls were more likely to be pinned - so someway to quickly break and push walls out of the way might be key. A special drilling team even just going into other building and breaking down holes in the wall to pull people out from the sides. Speed is of the essence, so I think a falling brick injury wouldn’t be as critical as getting lifesaving oxygen to people. Some people said it took over an hour to pull everyone out - some form of construction equipment to quickly take out sections of walls might have reduced that time.

Another idea would be to get oxygen canisters to people in the crush somehow. If emergency response has like a store of 500 mini bottles of Oxygen to force oxygen into people’s lungs, that could also maybe help.

Also maybe they could fashion a harness system using a fire hose to get it wrapped under people’s arms for more grip, then multiple people could help carefully pull on the hose - carefully balancing the force to make sure they don’t injure people even more.

Lastly if a helicopter overhead used similar to water rescue techniques to lift people from above or further back in the crowd to relieve pressure on those at the front.

I think the issue is people are so crammed that their lungs cannot expand in order to breathe. So getting oxygen to them may not help.
Tho maybe it is mostly that people are just being suffocated?

I expect (and hope) there will be some better crowd control for NYE this year. It’s coming up.

Informative.

2 Likes

Not very similar, although in a crowd it might be difficult to tell.

退 túi, and 推 tui are certainly much more similar in Mandarin. Although in reality 退後, and 向前推 would probably be used.

Lee Jihan, K-Pop Singer, Dead at 24 After Crowd Tragedy in Seoul, South Korea (msn.com)

1 Like