16 May 1966

40 years ago today…the “Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution”

what an evil mess that was!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4984924.stm

I was in Taiwan at the time. :noway: :sunglasses:

Yes I really was.

Rode a Honda CS90 with a straight pipe :laughing:

I am guessing that you were very young…but do you remember any of the news coming out of China? Did the KMT play it up a bit?

In terms of economic development, those were the ten years by which mainland China is behind Taiwan by.

There was also a copycat version at the same time in Japan

I was 22.
I used to watch the ROC F-86 Sabre jets take off loaded with bombs , rockets, and missiles and head west. After a while they would be back, unloaded. Occasionly one would do victory rolls over the Air Base. Scary when you think about it. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figger it out.
There wasn’t much news but there was a lot of propaganda. Those were the days of rock solid martial law, and the newspapers published what they were told to publish.

There was one English language daily that used to feature all the disasters in China on page 2. Everything was about bus crashes, floods, droughts, fires, you name it. Ah thank God the good ole days are long gone!

There was one English language daily that used to feature all the disasters in China on page 2. Everything was about bus crashes, floods, droughts, fires, you name it. Ah thank God the good ole days are long gone![/quote]
Whoa…is this an age hint? Are you in your sixties, Fred?