16 yrs old trip to Iraq to 'get it'

I can’t believe no one is talking about this.

Ah duh!

[quote]Maybe it was the time the taxi dumped him at the Iraq-Kuwait border, leaving him alone in the middle of the desert. Or the moment a Kuwaiti cab driver almost punched him in the face when he balked at the US$100 fare.

But at some point, Farris Hassan, a 16-year-old from Florida, realized that traveling to Iraq by himself was not the safest thing he could have done with his Christmas vacation. And he didn’t even tell his parents.

Hassan’s dangerous adventure wound down on Wednesday with the 101st Airborne delivering the Florida teen to the US embassy in Baghdad, which has promised to see him back to the US this weekend.

It began with a high school class on “immersion journalism.” As a high-school student at Pine Crest School, a prep academy of about 700 students in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Hassan read The New Journalism, an introduction to immersion journalism featuring the work of journalists like John McPhee, a writer who lives the life of his subject in order to better understand it.

Diving headfirst into an assignment, Hassan, whose parents were born in Iraq but have lived in the US for about 35 years, hung out at a local mosque. The teen, who says he has no religious affiliation, spent an entire night until 6am talking politics with a group of Muslim men.

The next trimester, his class was assigned to choose an international topic and write editorials about it. Hassan said he chose the Iraq war and decided to practice immersion journalism there, too.

Using money his parents had given him at one point, he bought a US$900 plane ticket and left the country on Dec. 11, one week before the start of his school Christmas break. His destination: Baghdad.[/quote]

[quote] It was mid-afternoon Tuesday, after his second night in Baghdad, that he sought out editors at The Associated Press and announced he was in Iraq to do research and humanitarian work.

“I would have been less surprised if little green men had walked in,” editor Patrick Quinn said.

The AP quickly called the US embassy.

Embassy officials had been on the lookout for Hassan, at the request of his parents, who still weren’t sure exactly where he was.

Most of Hassan’s wild tale could not be corroborated, but his larger story arc was in line with details provided by friends and family members back home. [/quote]

Now that there kid has balls. :loco: :bravo:

well, if any kid could, it would be someone of Iraqui descent…imagine Opie type tring to pull this off.

Chou.

It was STUPID.

He must have fallen for all that propaganda that things are a lot better in Iraq than the news media is portraying.

The fact is that the life expectancy of a U.S. passport holder outside a fortified compound is about fifteen minutes in most of Iraq.

Such ingratitude. You’d think after all the stories the Bush administration has paid to plant in the Iraqi news media that we’d get at least thirty minutes head start. :slight_smile:

Namahottie said[quote]Now that there kid has balls.[/quote]

And he’s damned lucky he came back with them still attached. :loco:

I like how the press treated this–a minor who splits the country without telling anyone–as a cute little story about a kid who just wanted to learn immersion journalism.

Exactly, CNN just reported it as “Travelling Teen.” :unamused:

Just one more example why the U.S. public is notoriously misinformed about the situation in Iraq. :slight_smile:

"AP writer Patrick Quinn said the teen was “blissfully ignorant of his surroundings and where he was.”

“Farris walked into the most dangerous city on this planet, especially if you are an unaccompanied American, let alone a teenager who doesn’t speak any Arabic.” . . .

Atiya told CNN that her son (wanted) “to see it firsthand how are things transpiring in Iraq. He wanted to see how the people [feel] about democracy and the war in Iraq.” . . .

CNN

He should read more blogs from Iraq if he really wants to know what the situation there is. :slight_smile:

They’ll probably make a movie out of this: “Farris Hassan’s Day Off” or “Clueless in Baghdad – How the MSM Misrepresented the Situation There.”

[quote=“spook”]
They’ll probably make a movie out of this: [color=darkred]“Farris Hassan’s Day Off”[/color] or “Clueless in Baghdad – How the MSM Misrepresented the Situation There.”[/quote] :notworthy: :notworthy:

Or he’s got one heck of a college entrance essay.

He’ll probably be on the CIA watch list for the next 20 years. :laughing:

[quote=“Shin-Gua”]He’ll probably be on the CIA watch list for the next 20 years. :laughing:[/quote]Shin-Gua -
Tut tut…the lad shows potential. Check out his lingo abilities and get him on the right track to the farm. Prolly has a built-in familial net. Vet 'em and tag 'em.

Any pictures of him? Is he hot? I’ve always liked Arab boys … knew a cute Palestinian gay boy back in college … but he was a chauvinist pig … :rainbow:

Is this hot enough for you? :lovestruck: He’s SIXTEEN for God’s sake

And gays always wonder why people think they are also pedophiles :noway: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :rainbow:

Nope … not my type :s

But the latest word is that his father helped him to get a visa to Iraq! :astonished:

Be happy, follwing the Koran, he could lock you up in a room and beat you up, if you don’t behave…

… um … never mind

Be happy, follwing the Koran, he could lock you up in a room and beat you up, if you don’t behave…

… um … never mind[/quote]
Hmm, that’s not in the Koran…you should read it, you’ll learn a lot from it.

… um … never mind[/quote]
Hmm, that’s not in the Koran…you should read it, you’ll learn a lot from it.[/quote]

I did read it. Well, not all. But if I remember correctly there is a part where Mohammed lectures about the treatment of women, only up to 4 plus slaves, confine them to quarters and beat them a bit if they do not behave, but no real cruelty.

That was a very modern concept those days and meant as women protection!

So get out your Koran, read again. And lecture someone else :wink:

I like the part about melons.
Melons are good.

4 melons are better than 4 wifes, that is for sure. No, wait… 8 … um … never mind.