18 Months For Cat Torturer

18 month sentence for this grad student. He bears watching because often people who murder others were fond of killing animals in their younger days.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003469388

we’ll have to wait and see whether the cats life are worth more than the mail delivery boys live then

[quote=“tommy525”]18 month sentence for this grad student. He bears watching because often people who murder others are fond of killing animals in their younger days.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003469388[/quote]

Oh, the infamy. He must have connections. At least he had to hightail it out of Taiwan for a while.

More about this case here: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=76945&hilit=Taida

Wait until he starts skinning people…
:fume: :raspberry: :fume: :loco: :bluemad:

[quote=“tommy525”]18 month sentence for this grad student. He bears watching because often people who murder others are fond of killing animals in their younger days.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003469388[/quote]

It seems to me people who torture animals in this way are worse than those who kill; animals or humans. Sometimes killing an animal is understandable, necessary, or even beneficial (as in the case of my pork chop this evening). Sometimes people are so thoroughly bad that battering them to death is also understandable, however there is never any valid reason to torture an animal. This guy either completely insane, the very embodiment of evil, or both, and in any case will end up on the front of the Apple Daily some day. Yuk.

Well put, Lord Lucan.

His sentencing is great news.

It’s shocking that - if the Taipei Times has reported this correctly (and let me know if they haven’t) - this “ruling was the first time in Taiwan a person has been found guilty of torturing animals”.

Let’s hope more cruelty is brought to justice in the future.

Yea, that was an interesting statement. Of course, knowing Taiwan news, it may be completely false. . . or perhaps partially false (maybe it’s the first time someone was sentenced to jail for animal torture in Taiwan). But I don’t find it shocking at all. After all, to achieve that result requires strong action from (a) witnesses, (b) police, (c) prosecutor and (d) judge. What are the odds you would get ALL of those persons to agree that animal torture is a crime in this society where all sorts of animals are regularly tortured for food or “medicine” etc and even torturing of women and children is barely illegal. It’s a nascent nation where the laws and legal system are only in their early stage of development, along with people’s exposure to and familiarity with western notions of morality, etc. It will all take time, but this conviction and sentence are definitely a step in the right direction. Sick bastard. Tommy’s right, though, that he bears watching, because I doubt he’ll be “cured” in prison.

Evidence. It’s hard to prove.

There’s another one in the news right now. Some Chinese chef working for Holiday Inns was doing a media PR stunt for the hotel – a demonstration of preparing chicken – and tossed it into a pot of boiling water prior to plucking, as you do. Except he didn’t kill it first. All in front of the cameras.
The chef is utterly and completely befuddled and simply cannot understand what the fuss is about. As far as he’s concerned, that’s how you kill a chicken.

Of course that begs the question: how is throwing a live chicken into a pot of boiling water different from throwing in a live lobster?

You need a bigger pot?

The other animal cruelty related news that is doing the rounds is a video on TV of a #@^*&*&^ [i]hijo de su madre[/i] who purposedly ran over a black dog in Taichung. As the &@%&* ran off, they are showing the video in hopes that someone spotted the car/can identify that beast.

Is a pot of boiling water torture? It seems to me that it would be over in a flash. Similarly, I don’t imagine jumping into an erupting volcano would be that painful. Is beheading a chicken less painful? I’ve seen them run around after their heads were cut off. How are the cows who make up your hamburger killed? Just because it’s not done in front of the press doesn’t mean that worse things aren’t being done as common practice.

It seems to me that we first have to decide a few things - is the killing of animals for food ok? Are all animals equal? Do lobsters and chickens have different rights? What about fish and oysters? Sheep and cats?

If we agree that it’s ok to kill animals for food, what constitutes a reasonable death? Beheading? Stun gun? Flash immersion in boiling water? A bullet to the head? A wrung neck? Is time a factor or is it just methodology that counts?

I guess in a nutshell. Animals that are raised to be eaten by humans should be raised in a humane manner and killed in a humane manner as well. Meaning kept as comfortable as possible and slaughtered as painlessly as possible.

Causing prolonged pain and undue distress on any animal would be considered animal cruelty.

A fast and as painless as possible death for FOOD animals may be condoned, unless we all went vegetarian.

Even us meat eaters will do well to eat less meat. Better for our health.

Personally I try to eat smaller animals like chickens and less meat from bigger animals like cattle, pigs. Theory (just theory) being that chickens are PERHAPS dummer then cattle and pigs.

Most societies dont eat cats or dogs and therefore eating those would be considered as abnormal for societies that dont eat them, but normal for those that do.

The guy who got sentenced for killing cats was torturing them. He wasnt out to kill them as painlessly as possible and eat them by necessity.

p.s. throwing a chicken into a big pot of boiling water probably kills it very quickly and as such shouldnt be considered inhumane. After all that chicken was intended to be eaten and as long as it was , thats that then.

Chickens are an exception, but plenty of birds actually exhibit high levels of intelligence. They may be smaller, but have a larger brain:mass ratio or something.
Pigs…Well we all know how smart they can be.

I have no objection. Its just a chicken. Its in the news, though, and the hotel, the hotel manager and the chef are facing animal abuse charges.
I dunno how quick a death you get from boiling water. Usually they at least stun them first before putting them in. You occasionally see articles about abattoir workers in the UK up on abuse charges for doing stuff like this, so it seems the consensus is that its a no-no.

I disagree. I think it must be a particularly hideous way to die. Especially if you instinctually keep coming up for air instead of surrendering to the far less painful fate of drowning. The Inquisition didn’t use immersion in boiling water for it’s humane qualities. :2cents:

Perhaps I’m wrong, but the way I read it, the bloke plucked the chicken BEFORE chucking it in the boiling water alive. That must tickle a bit.

I’m an avid angler. When I land 'em, I decide whether I want to eat 'em. If I don’t, I release 'em. If they are keepers, I kill 'em immediately. Bought a fish from a market the other day. They were all swimming around in their confined space, happy to be alive. The nice gentleman took my selected fishy, and to my horror, scaled and de-finned the chap while it was still alive. What possible purpose could that serve? Kill it and then clean it. :loco:

I disagree. I think it must be a particularly hideous way to die. Especially if you instinctually keep coming up for air instead of surrendering to the far less painful fate of drowning. The Inquisition didn’t use immersion in boiling water for it’s humane qualities.[/quote]
From what I’ve just googled, they didn’t immerse victims in boiling water, they placed them in cauldrons of cold water and slowly boiled them alive. That would probably be less pleasant. Head-first immersion in boiling water would kill you instantly. There would be no “coming up for air”. Ask urodacus.

I doubt that. It’s very difficult to remove the feathers from a chicken that hasn’t been scalded. From a practical standpoint, I doubt that’s what happened.

Do you think it’s a kind of torture to put a hook into an animals mouth and pull it out of the water so that its entire bodyweight is being supported by the skin caught on the hook? I mean, if it were for food, ok, but for sport?

(BTW, I have no problem with it - I’m just pointing out the pain/torture problem is more complicated than we think. And I haven’t even begun to discuss the fate of the lowly earthworm being used as bait!)

I don’t believe that immersion of your head in boiling water would kill you instantly. You’d probably go into shock from the heat, but it would still take x number of seconds/minutes to boils the skin away and get to your brainy goodness. I bet there’d be pain and it’d be excruciating for the few seconds/minutes it lasted.

[quote=“Maoman”]Do you think it’s a kind of torture to put a hook into an animals mouth and pull it out of the water so that its entire bodyweight is being supported by the skin caught on the hook?
[/quote]

As for the fish - is it an urban legend or the truth that fish don’t have sensation in their Mick Jagger lips?

Once I been to a shrimping pond in TAipei. I loved eating them suckers (the 3 we three people managed to catch after an hour…thats only one a piece). But i didnt really enjoy putting the skewer thru the live prawn nor watching it squirm as half of its body cooked while the other was very much alive on the BBQ. Kinda put me off going again.

Went fishing before at wanli. Mostly small fish were caught, and i was able to set them free, but once or twice the fish swallowed the hook so there no was saving it.

Didnt go back fishing again either.