195kph Honda Dio

Ok so I’m shopping for a Dio today and told the guy that I want it fully modified to do 150kph. He pointed to a few and said they all could do 195kph. I said bullshit and next thing I know we’ve both got a betel nut in our mouths and doing 160 on two Dio 50’s. It had lots more but I just couldn’t see far enough ahead to go any faster.

It had a bunch of crap done to it but the one I was on wasn’t even watercooled. I guess they typically use NSR 150 guts but I don’t know just how much of them.

He wanted 50K NT but I think I can get one off him for 40. Good times.

[quote=“turkey_dinner”]Ok so I’m shopping for a Dio today and told the guy that I want it fully modified to do 150kph. He pointed to a few and said they all could do 195kph. I said bullshit and next thing I know we’ve both got a betel nut in our mouths and doing 160 on two Dio 50’s. It had lots more but I just couldn’t see far enough ahead to go any faster.

It had a bunch of crap done to it but the one I was on wasn’t even watercooled. I guess they typically use NSR 150 guts but I don’t know just how much of them.

He wanted 50K NT but I think I can get one off him for 40. Good times.[/quote]

if you do purchase one(or 2 - never know when if you’ll need a beater for rainy days) will you bring it out to the gokart track next time the forumosans are there? i’d be there just to see the dios fly around the parking lot.

How much do those things weigh? Like 40kg or so? Doing 160kph on a 50cc scoot must feel like about 260kph on a superbike… :astonished: They sound awesome but how many days (hours? minutes? seconds?) before the engine explodes? A 2 stroke that’s that highly modified can’t be too durable. What exact modifications are done in order to get a 50cc scoot to get to 195kph?

Tinkering with the speedo. :wink:

[quote=“trapjaw”]They sound awesome but how many days (hours? minutes? seconds?) before the engine explodes? A 2 stroke that’s that highly modified can’t be too durable. What exact modifications are done in order to get a 50cc scoot to get to 195kph?[/quote]Most the ones I’ve seen had special long stroke cranks and bigger cylinders to increase capacity to about 110cc. They also have wild port jobs, race-style single-ring pistons, huge reed blocks and large flat-slide carbs. All that makes a decent amount of power, but it’s all in the 9k to 12k range and the transmission has to be modified accordingly. Power delivery is like a light switch, all or nothing. As to longevity, well basically they need an overhaul every 10 to 20 hours of operation. Fun toy while it lasts, but a very high maintainance buzz-bomb nonetheless.

a mate of mine had one just like redwagon described above… he went to kick start it one afternoon here in Taichung and the bugger wouldn’t take, he kept kicking and kicking until the think eventually started, at which stage the semi flooded huge carb went “whoosh”, the engine screamed and the thing leapt forward somehow fouling the throttle cable, causing it to rev to high heaven, so the thing then wheelied off, flipped backward under the acceleration, hit a bench, half destroying it, went airborne and went spinning into a large shop front window upside down and at about chest height… my mate was still standing there next to where the scooter was, foot raised in mid kick… :noway: :roflmao:

and like redwagon says it was in the shop for 2 hours for very 1 hour of riding time, so er, not really a high scorer in the practical runabout category then…

[quote=“plasmatron”]a mate of mine had one just like redwagon described above… he went to kick start it one afternoon here in Taichung and the bugger wouldn’t take, he kept kicking and kicking until the think eventually started, at which stage the semi flooded huge carb went “whoosh”, the engine screamed and the thing leapt forward somehow fouling the throttle cable, causing it to rev to high heaven, so the thing then wheelied off, flipped backward under the acceleration, hit a bench, half destroying it, went airborne and went spinning into a large shop front window upside down and at about chest height… my mate was still standing there next to where the scooter was, foot raised in mid kick… :noway: :roflmao:

and like redwagon says it was in the shop for 2 hours for very 1 hour of riding time, so er, not really a high scorer in the practical runabout category then…[/quote]

Yep, this is one of my favorite stories indeed!.. :smiley:

Just run 'em on AV gas. Then you’ll have a nice door-stop after a bit.

er… I said it was fast. I didn’t say it was reliable. And that is an absolute worse case scenario. I don’t mind pulling it apart… it’s more of a hobby than a grocery getter. I already have a van, duke, and husky. I doubt you’ll see any of these Dio’s for rent at the bike farm. That would be a good gag though - seeing that carb hanging off the side of the bike like that… just prop a stick inside that holds it at wide open throttle. Grab a bag of chips, sit on a bench across the street, and wait for the owner to come outside and Kick… kick… kick… ZING!!!

I just thought people would be interested to know that Dio’s can go that fast, that’s all.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Just run 'em on AV gas. Then you’ll have a nice door-stop after a bit.[/quote]Hmmm…

[quote=“http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/rick/gas-tech_part1.html”]AVIATION GAS: MYTHS AND FACTS

Q: What about using AV, or aviation, gas?

A: There’s an old wives’ tale about AV gas out of World War II and I don’t know who started this, but it says that if you put AV gas in your car, you’ll burn the valves. There’s no doubt that aviation fuel can be used in any internal combustion engine that’s driven up and down the highway at cruising speeds.

It doesn’t make much sense to use it for that since it goes for something like $1.75 or $1.85 in this area, and is not easily obtainable.

A motorcycle and an airplane really live in two different environments. An airplane generally takes off, climbs to its altitude and the general outside temperature is at or below zero. Even in the summertime, it maxes out at 10 or 20 degrees above. And an air-plane does not turn high rpm. A typical prop job loafs along at two to three thousand rpm. Of course, there are some high perfor-mance exceptions. The engine just drones along at low power settings, except for take-offs.

To be continued…[/quote]

I’m curious though. What fuel do some people put in their souped-up scooters that makes them smell like speedway bikes? And do they get a real performance increase out of that or is it just the fueling equivalent of blue anodised bolts and fake HID bulbs?

(Sorry to hijack your thread, Turkey Dinner. If you feel strongly about it I’ll split this bit off).

It’s the 2-stroke oil. I’d say that’s where the science is. There’s alcohol in it.

Airplanes have got to squeeze a lot of power out of a small engine (I’d imagine) for weight purposes. One good way to do that is using a very high compression engine. The high compression engines are more prone to preignition/detonation/knocking. Extra heat in the comustion chamber actually lights the fuel without a spark. AV fuel has the highest octane because high octane relates to the temperature required to ignite the fuel.

Whew. Man do I ever think I’m smart.

Go easy on me.

I used to have access to avgas on a daily basis and even had the green light to do whatever I wanted with the stuff I needed to drain out of aircraft as part of the daily moisture check.
Some guys put in their cars, but to be honest it’s hardly a noticable performance booster, it was more just way to save on gas at the pump :sunglasses:

One thing of more interest was water methanol injection.
At the time, their was one guy who modified his mazda rotary to run on the stuff. Now THAT is interesting.

I accidentaly put Jet-B (helicopter fuel) in a truck once. It didn’t run very well at all, unless you drove with the pedal on the floor pan.

From what I understand, it’s practically kerosene.

[quote=“Truant”]One thing of more interest was water methanol injection.
At the time, their was one guy who modified his mazda rotary to run on the stuff. Now THAT is interesting.[/quote]

Mmmmmm…Rotary engine… :homer:

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]I accidentaly put Jet-B (helicopter fuel) in a truck once. It didn’t run very well at all, unless you drove with the pedal on the floor pan.

From what I understand, it’s practically kerosene.[/quote]
You are right. In Aviation, there is basically 2 types of fuel.

Avgas - for piston engines.
Avtur, JetA1 etc - for gas turbines.

The two don’t mix at all, although some gas turbines are designed to be very versatile in the type of fuel they can use. Eg, Gas Turbines on Navy Ships can often run on any combustable liquid, within limits. Meaning engine oil, cooking oil, etc etc. Quite remarkable if you think about it.

[quote=“pubba”][quote=“Truant”]One thing of more interest was water methanol injection.
At the time, their was one guy who modified his mazda rotary to run on the stuff. Now THAT is interesting.[/quote]

Mmmmmm…Rotary engine… :homer:[/quote]
Oh don’t get me started man…we’ll need a new thread for that. I have owned 2 Rotary powered cars and gave one of my 12A Rotarys quite the tickle up on the workbench. :sunglasses:

In the 70s and 80s, they were definitely ahead of their time. Mazda, I mean.

I love em :wink: You can wind those babies out sooo far. What a rush :slight_smile:

Would love to see one of these crazy high powered scooters that the OP described. Sounds hilarious! :laughing:

I miss my last project - 200 HP 3 cylinder turbo daihatsu charade (GTti)

It weighed about 800 kgs and did 0 to 100 km/h in about 6 seconds. Crazy little beastie, but had to sell it when I lost all but one of my license points :frowning:

Back in Vancouver. I have a 1973 Mazda Rx3 with a streetported 13b rotary engine, Holley 650, fat headers, aluminum flywheel, 4.68 gears. I built it for years.

I’ve also owned 2 Rx3 wagons, 2 rx2’s, a rotary pickup, and a couple rx7s. I love the little fuckers.

Here’s a shot of it on the way to the tire shop for a new set of shoes.

youtube.com/watch?v=P_hdPWQeVYE

[quote=“joesax, before this turned into the rotary thread”]
I’m curious though. What fuel do some people put in their souped-up scooters that makes them smell like speedway bikes? And do they get a real performance increase out of that or is it just the fueling equivalent of blue anodised bolts and fake HID bulbs?[/quote]It’s the 2-stroke oil. Many of the kiddies use oldskool vegetable based oil for the smell. Back in the 60’s and 70’s refined castor oil was the choice in competition since the film strength was much better than the mineral oils available at the time. It has the property of maintaining a film of oil on metal surfaces, even under very high temperatures and pressures. One downside is that it does not burn cleanly at all, and turns into a nasty carbon residue in the combustion chamber, behind the rings, and in the exhaust port. Another is that it separates from gas if left standing, so it’s best mixed in a can and used up in one session. If you leave in the tank you have shut the tap off and shake the hell out of it before opening the tap and starting the engine to avoid a carb full of thick gooey oil and no gas… Not a problem on a real race bike.
Of course everything changed in the late 70’s when synthetics came along. Anyone using it now is just going for the smell.
Oh, now I think about it, I have seen small bottles of perfume additives sold at scooterpunk boutiques. Get the Castrol R smell without the headaches. :unamused:

[quote=“redwagon”]Of course everything changed in the late 70’s when synthetics came along. Anyone using it now is just going for the smell.
Oh, now I think about it, I have seen small bottles of perfume additives sold at scooterpunk boutiques. Get the Castrol R smell without the headaches. :unamused:[/quote] :laughing: So really the olfactory equivalent of go-faster stripes.

But how come speedway bikes still smell a bit like that? (And they have four-stroke engines don’t they?)