195kph Honda Dio

[quote=“turkey_dinner”]Back in Vancouver. I have a 1973 Mazda Rx3 with a streetported 13b rotary engine, Holley 650, fat headers, aluminum flywheel, 4.68 gears. I built it for years.

I’ve also owned 2 Rx3 wagons, 2 rx2’s, a rotary pickup, and a couple rx7s. I love the little fuckers.

Here’s a shot of it on the way to the tire shop for a new set of shoes.

youtube.com/watch?v=P_hdPWQeVYE[/quote]
My gawd, and here we were sitting at the same table last night talking about…er…well, I can’t even remember!!! :fume:

There has be be a cut off point at where high speed goes from being exhillerating to terrifying, and I think a short wheel base Dio at that speed would scare the living crap out of me. I guess I’m just a coward.

Once you pick it up, lets compare speedos somewhere and see if the Dio can actually do 160kph. Admit to having a tad bit of curiosity to see it fly. :smiley:

[quote=“joesax”]So really the olfactory equivalent of go-faster stripes.

But how come speedway bikes still smell a bit like that? (And they have four-stroke engines don’t they?)[/quote]I think the speedway guys still use Castrol R. Typical speedway engines are total-loss oiled, so all the engine oil eventually goes out the exhaust, though not as much as in a 2-stroke. They also run on methanol for fuel, which smells a little different. It’s been a few years since I looked at these devices, so things may have changed.

Castor oil is still the prime choice for 2 stroke engines of all types including racing engines. The difference is in the mixture ratio and the addition of synthetic oils. Alcohol or methanol are used for fuel not because of their explosive power but for their ability to stave off pre-detonation (the so called pinging) that can blow apart an engine. In 2.5cc 2 stroke engines that are used in 1/8th scale remote control cars, a mix of methanol, nitromethane, castor oil, and synthetic oil is used. Those engines rev up to 55,000 rpm and can make up to 3 HP if properly modified. In races, up to 50% nitromethane is used in the fuel mixture.

Oh yeah, and I’d love to see that Dio! Bring it out to the kart track! :smiley:

[quote=“Nonsequitur”]Castor oil is still the prime choice for 2 stroke engines of all types including racing engines. The difference is in the mixture ratio and the addition of synthetic oils. [/quote]You’re right in that castor oils can be run at lower mix ratios than synthetics, but a modern synthetic oil has far better film strength at really high loads and temps. Not to mention that they can be made with higher calorific values than veggie oils, which offsets the larger amounts that are used.

[quote=“Nonsequitur”]Alcohol or methanol are used for fuel not because of their explosive power but for their ability to stave off pre-detonation (the so called pinging) that can blow apart an engine.[/quote]Yes. Methanol has a lower calorific value by volume than gasoline, so the air/fuel ratios for stoichiometric combustion are much lower (more fuel needed to burn the same amount of air). But, offsetting that is far higher octane rating which allows compression ratios far in excess of what even the best race gas can tolerate.

One of the reasons those model engines can make so much power is that the useful limit to port area is inversely proportional to cylinder displacement. IOW, the smaller the cylinder the higher the ratio of port area to volume that is possible. That, and the lack of reciprocating mass, is what allows the sky-high rev ceilings, and that is where the power is. If you look at the actual BMEP such an engine is capable of it’s not as high as you would imagine, even burning nitro.

OK…the old rumor was that Castrol was actually made with castor bean oil. I used it in my motocycles and cars from the mid '60’s to the '70’s when I was told it was then just another petroleum lubricant. A good one, but no longer made from the bean.
Anyone know the true story?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]OK…the old rumor was that Castrol was actually made with castor bean oil. I used it in my motocycles and cars from the mid '60’s to the '70’s when I was told it was then just another petroleum lubricant. A good one, but no longer made from the bean.
Anyone know the true story?[/quote]Castrol made their very first oil in 1909 and it was indeed made from refined castor oil. Since then of course they have gone on to make motor oils from a variety of base stocks. Castrol R is still made from the bean.

I have a car…it’s ummm, blue…and uhhh…maybe 4 cylinders? And uhhh…it’s blue. (I thought that now I have a car again I could partake in your technical discussion…it doesn’t seem to be working.)

I have no transport at all :frowning:

The family Im living with have 3 or 4 scooters but I dont have a license, so no-go…

No chance driving one of their 4 cars either…

Walked home from an LE last night and got accosted by 3 drunk scooter riding morons. I put my fists up and they bailed… Still dont know what they were shouting at me, but i recognised ‘Meigworen’ in there…

Im dying to see the crazy Dio as well and a bunch of friends back home are begging me to show them some proof

Saw a scooter mods magazine at 7/11 last night! :laughing:

[quote=“Mordeth”]I have a car…it’s ummm, blue…and uhhh…maybe 4 cylinders? And uhhh…it’s blue. (I thought that now I have a car again I could partake in your technical discussion…it doesn’t seem to be working.)[/quote] :laughing: That’s what I feel like here! Interesting discussion though. And I think I’m finally beginning to understand this octane stuff.

I know how light my hornet feels at 170kph… wouldn’t wanna imagine how the dio would feel at that… :astonished: it’s definately not something I’d wanna be doing 170 on that’s for sure…

And I guess the fun part comes if you need to slow down from 170 km/h as fast as possible or are there modifications for the breaks and that stuff as well? (maybe a kind of parachute which they used on older fighter airplanes :laughing: )

I wonder… if you attached some kind of wing arrangement (lightweight)… would that make the 195kph dio able to fly?? :o no more traffic problems :smiley:

I often wonder what this place would be like if people had personal aircraft and helicopters like in other parts of the world. :noway:

[quote=“redwagon”]Castrol made their very first oil in 1909 and it was indeed made from refined castor oil. Since then of course they have gone on to make motor oils from a variety of base stocks. Castrol R is still made from the bean.[/quote]Thanks Redwagon.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]OK…the old rumor was that Castrol was actually made with castor bean oil. I used it in my motocycles and cars from the mid '60’s to the '70’s when I was told it was then just another petroleum lubricant. A good one, but no longer made from the bean.
Anyone know the true story?[/quote]Castrol made their very first oil in 1909 and it was indeed made from refined castor oil. Since then of course they have gone on to make motor oils from a variety of base stocks. Castrol R is still made from the bean.[/quote]

if you look at the name, it actually means castor oil…

funny stuff those beans. the oil is yummy enough to eat, they feed it to cattle these days among other things, but the left over pulp is what you make ricin from… just about the most deadly protein poison in the galaxy. (don’t know much about other galaxies, sorry). remember the malarky last year in Britain about ricin manufacture and terrorism?

don’t let your kids eat castor beans. bye bye kids…

oh, and big ups to turkey dinner for his (i’m guessing its a him) hot RX3. 13B in an Rx was the first time i ever broke 200kmh. my, was that scary… not me driving, just strapped into the second seat and white-knuckled along the freeway at 3am. ah, the good old days.

Actually the Dio was pretty stable up there and I didn’t feel freeky at all. I didn’t have a speedo that went that high but he did. Let me tell you one thing though… we were blowin by cars FAST! My duke is quite modified and does high 130’s. I was going much faster than my duke has ever gone… and I was letting off. It just kept climbing… I just didn’t have a safe enough stretch and was wearing an 80nt helmet.

I’m going to go back to the shop right now with my vidcam and talk to the guy. The one I was riding was brought over from another shop because the one I want needs to be 15years old or older so it won’t be there. He’s a got a few there that seemed faster than mine anyway. I’ll see if I can get a ride on one ore at least get a good vid of it running.

Yeah. I love my rx3. I had almost all those cars at the same time at one point… until I walked out into my backyard oneday and said “I can’t have them all.” It didn’t take long to get rid of them… the old Rx’s sell like mad.

Yes they are hard to come by in good condition these days…

Would love to see the vids you plan to film! I have a soft spot for ridiculous engineering projects like this :smiley:

why does the dio need to be so old??

Well. I went to the shop this weekend but there was a big race at the track so my buddy was there racing. He’s got a bunch of trophies and the one guy at the shop says he’s quite a legend around these parts.

Anyway… The Dio needs to be old because there’s a rule in N. America that requires any vehicle that wasn’t produced for that market is inadmissible unless it’s 15 years or older.

I’ve decided to just find a dead 1992 Dio and build it from scratch. Then I know what’s inside and I can buy extra parts to send home with it. I told him that my friend only wants to go 150 and he laughed and said “piece of cake”. I love this guy.