1978: some kind of nadir of Western civilization

Fuck me, on the shuttle bus into work this morning, the radio played The Gambler by Kenny fucking Rogers.
I totally threw up a little in my mouth.
What a ridiculous piece of shit that song is.
How the fuck does something like that happen?
For that matter, how the fuck does something like Kenny fucking Rogers happen?

The only good thing that ever happened because of Kenny fucking Rogers

1976 was the zenith, the year of release of Star Wars, Encounters of the Third Kind, and Herbie Rides again.

Kenny Rogers was invented so that Europeons and Asians can enjoy country western music.

No shooting men in Reno against mother’s advice or “transplanted flowers in a garden of sadness living in undying pain” Louvin Brothers madness for him. Mr. Plastic surgery eyes is way big in Finland too.

You have to get into Free-styling Casual Vomiting. Lord Lucan has told me it’s all the rage in Ireland as this years new sport.

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]Kenny Rogers was invented so that Europeons and Asians can enjoy country western music.

No shooting men in Reno against mother’s advice or “transplanted flowers in a garden of sadness living in undying pain” Louvin Brothers madness for him. Mr. Plastic surgery eyes is way big in Finland too.

You have to get into Free-styling Casual Vomiting. Lord Lucan has told me it’s all the rage in Ireland as this years new sport.[/quote]

Sheee-it, I hain’t had THAT much fun since the pigs ate my little brother…

Maybe the bus driver thought he was doing you a favour and tuned into ICRT.

Every Kenny Rogers song can be sung to the tune of the Gambler. How many artists can make that claim?

John Lee Hooker made a career out of one tune.

BTW I was born in '78. I guess that means something

Oh, come on Chief and all, The Gambler is reminds me of my childhood. I learned to speak English thanks to Sesame Street and The Muppets Show. Luv’d singing along to The Gambler.

Edit:
They had teh Muppets and Rogers on a train, singing along, so cute!!! :smiley:

Hello.
Mr Rogers is responsible for one the greatest psych songs ever.
Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
It was all kind of downhill after that.

[quote=“Funk500”]

BTW I was born in '78. I guess that means something[/quote]

I said Western. Uzbekistan doesn’t count.
Damn, boy, I was already 2 years out of High School then.
Hell, no wonder you come across as such a punkass bitch…

I ain’t buying that.
Yeah, and I learned my Spanish from La Bamba…

:discodance: Yo no soy marinero

Oh, and 'sefe?

[quote=“Josefus”]Hello.
Mr Rogers is responsible for one the greatest psych songs ever.
Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
It was all kind of downhill after that.[/quote]

There’s a big difference between psych (the ward on which HGC used to work), and psychedelic, you’ll want to be careful with that, I suggest next time you bite the bullet and pay for the whole word, much as I know you hate to…

Besides, Just Dropped In was penned by the immortal Mickey Newbury, Kenny fucking Roasters just sang it…

Kenny Roger’s early shit wasn’t that bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=_ZYcqlEZxGQ

He didn’t just sing it.
He immortalized it!

And there’s nothing wrong with referring to it as psych music.
Google it.
Over 20 million references.
And not a single one is talking about hospital music.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Kenny Roger’s early shit wasn’t that bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=_ZYcqlEZxGQ[/quote]
I like that one.

I sing a song that goes:
[color=#0000FF]And somewhere in the darkness
The frost on the pumpkin
Coward of the county
Don’t take your love to town
[/color]
To the tune of the Gambler. And repeat over and over until someone slaps me in the face.

But that was the year of Saturday Night Fever!

[quote=“the chief”]Fuck me, on the shuttle bus into work this morning, the radio played The Gambler by Kenny fucking Rogers.
I totally threw up a little in my mouth.
[/quote]
That’s a bit mean-spirited of you. The driver probably took one look at you and put it on special, like.

Bubba 2 Guns and the Chief,
You can suck my nipples! Bubba on the right one, the Chief on the left.
Kenny is okay - I’m not a fan but I have no prob with pop-style stuff being successful. It’s wankers like you two who gave me such a hard time years ago because I liked ABBA.
I don’t think Kenny Rogers is sitting at home and cryin’ in his beer 'cos he’s not an ESL teacher in Taiwan. Oh, you guys aren’t ESL teachers. Well, that means you’ve probably escaped from ESL but doing something equally crap (it would be like a POW breaking out of the camp but living with badgers in the nearby wood, foraging for roots during the day and…). where’s my beverage?

‘Coward of the County’ is deep :laughing:
and ‘Islands in the Stream’ is my shit :slight_smile:
and if you’ve ever eaten here:

you wouldn’t be so hard on him.

on a side note. Have you seen Kenny in the last couple of years?

Plastic surgery has fucked his shit up good:

kind of ironic for a man whose: ‘made a life, outta reading people’s faces.’

I just saw an article about plastic disasters, and Kenny Rogers was one of those they attacked.

Q: Does it matter how great you look once you’re in your 70s?!

I mean this from both sides; should Kenny bother with plastic surgery, and should people care what the man looks like when he’s in his 8th decade?

The first of those pictures in the “before and after” was probably taken 30 years ago. What are we gonna look like after 30 years?!