1988 Datsun/Nissan Sunny 1200 RWD

Saw one advertised. Might look at it this weekend if its still unsold.

Anyone know anything about spares availability for these?

Of course they are very old, but there are still a few in the driving schools.

[quote=“Ducked”]Saw one advertised. Might look at it this weekend if its still unsold.

Anyone know anything about spares availability for these?

Of course they are very old, but there are still a few in the driving schools.[/quote]

I dont know much about them, but I used to have a friend that had a nice restored one. He said they had problems like any old car does, but parts were still around and they were pretty cheap to fix. There are still a lot of them on the roads here, so you know parts shoudnt be that hard to source out. One of these days Im going to buy the pickup version, restore it and have it be my track whore pickup for my race bikes. I am sure there are sunny car clubs around, especially in Tpe that you could find. If you end up buying it post a picture, I would love to see it. Honestly, I would love to hear about the pros and cons if you ended up buying it. They are sweet rides. Good luck!

Aren’t those the ones that would blow up if you rear-ended them?

Into drifting?

[quote=“rk1951”]
One of these days Im going to buy the pickup version, restore it and have it be my track whore pickup for my race bikes.[/quote]

Its difficult for a foreigner to register a truck. There have been a few threads on it. IIRC you need to be (a) Taiwanese, and (b) have a legally registered company, or be part of a legally registered"cooperative". There are allegedly ways around it, (apart from the obvious proxy registration) but IIRC I’ve never seen them explicitly stated.

[quote=“rk1951”]
If you end up buying it post a picture, I would love to see it. Honestly, I would love to hear about the pros and cons if you ended up buying it. They are sweet rides. Good luck![/quote]

Well, if I got very obviously ripped off (which is probably the way to bet) I might be tempted to keep quiet about it. Thanks for the good wishes though.

Only accidentally.

Not heard that one, though I suppose it could happen.

Someone mentioned the Ford Pinto (the US car, not the engine) on here fairly recently, and I think it was alleged to be especially vulnerable to that, though apparently the stats don’t support the allegation.

Could be a useful deterrent?

EDIT : The Pinto apparently also burst into flames if you dropped it from a great height. Unsafe at any altitude?

http://www.cookieboystoys.com/mizar/10%20mizar.htm

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=84720&key=0&print=1

Oh I know, thanks though for the info. I got that covered. I can get around it, maybe someday I will try.

Did you end up buying it? LOVE those!!!

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Ducked”]
Its difficult for a foreigner to register a truck. There have been a few threads on it. IIRC you need to be (a) Taiwanese, and (b) have a legally registered company, or be part of a legally registered"cooperative". There are allegedly ways around it, (apart from the obvious proxy registration) but IIRC I’ve never seen them explicitly stated.
[/quote]

Oh I know, thanks though for the info. I got that covered. I can get around it, maybe someday I will try.[/quote]

I’d be VERY interested to know how. PM me if its too dodgy for open description.

The obvious way is to be married to a Taiwanese who has a business, or farm. That’s not currently an option for me, though my girlfriend thought she might be able to “arrange” something, which I thought made it worth enquiring, once we’d got through the obligatory recursive “why do you need one of those, anyway?” discussions.

She phoned up about it Saturday morning. Truck was sold, as I expected. Guy said he’d sold it to someone who wanted it to move his motorcycles (see above). For information, I asked her to ask him if we’d have been able to register it as a non-commercial vehice, and, (once we’d got through the obligatory recursive “why do you need one of those, anyway?” discussions with the bloody SALESMAN!) he apparently said “Sure, no problem”. I suspect this is untrue, though.

I don’t really understand this “Why do you need one of those, anyway?” knee-jerk. A car-based truck like this quite obviously does/has everything the car does/has, except the extra passenger capacity (which I never use) and secure stowage space (which is easy to arrange) and it has the extra trucking capabilities too, but one has to explain this over and over again, usually in the face of baffled incomprehension :ponder: .

Anyway, academic at the moment, and likely to remain so. Light pickup trucks were hard enough to find in the UK, and there weren’t any legal obstacles to registration there.

Funny thing though. After the phonecall, we were driving around Tainan and must have seen about a dozen 1200 Sunny pickups (normally pretty rare) in the course of the day.

Please buy it so I have something to take the piss out of on those boring afternoon stretches :pray:

There is no mystery to it and you don’t have to be Taiwanese… commercial vehicles are supposed to be registered under a company name and any foreigner can register a company in Taiwan. I already helped a bunch of people through it.

There is no mystery to it and you don’t have to be Taiwanese… commercial vehicles are supposed to be registered under a company name and any foreigner can register a company in Taiwan. I already helped a bunch of people through it.[/quote]

That’s very interesting, thanks.

I’d guess setting up a “dummy” (non-trading, inactive) company would be fairly expensive, though the lower rate of tax for commercial vehicles might partially compensate.