1st case of Dual nationality thru Naturalisation (by Brit)

The reason most people don’t want to get ROC ID is because you have to renounce your original citizenship (unless you have Chinese DNA). But it seems commonwealth countries allow you to get your citizenship back after renouncing - but one time only.

Far as I can tell, yesterday I became the 1st (non-Chinese) person to naturalise in Taiwan and get back my British citizenship via having the renunciation overturned.

'Course they don’t tell you that in the brochure.

Pity US citizens can’t do this - probably some kind of Uncle Sam position like “either you’re with us or against us”. Time to lobby your congressmen, guys.

However, many other countires do allow you to get back citizenship after renouncing if remain stateless for more than 6 months. A protracted period of being stateless is a dead certainty if you want to become Taiwanese, thus it may be possible for citizens of many other countries (other than commonwealth) to acquire dual nationality thru naturalisation.

Go for it, all you would-be dual citizens!

I believe that hexuan has mentioned the availability of this procedure before.

On forumosa.com, he is something of a resident expert on UK laws and customs.

But … congratulations to you.

Congratulations govt-attache!

Not an expert on anything at all really except Yogic Flying due to my recent conversion to Falun Gong Sa Xiao. But yes, the British Nationality Act 1981 does allow for Brits to resume citizenship after remouncing it specifically in order to get around stupid nonsense like the ROC naturalisation law. If you don’t get another citizenship within six months the renunciation lapses and you’re British again.

AFAIK, it is quite cheap to renounce British citizenship, but it costs

excellent… I do hope more people post information about this… especially about other commonwealth countries… like canada. you see, if would be great if i could renounce my citizenship to acquire Taiwanese and then get it back later while still holding onto the TWN citizemship.
I also hold US citizenship… that would mean I’d be a citizen of 3 countries. that would be grand!

It now costs GBP 189 to get your UK nationality back. A small price to pay, perhaps, for a wonderful convenience. Becoming taiwanese is far more expensive - just in all the admin costs alone. And as for the palarver with the police certificates (I had to produce a total of 5 because they kept expiring due to taiwan’s cosmically imbecilic immigration law).

Fortunately, and as a direct result of the humungously deranged logic of this law, taiwan has created a loophole which defeats its xenophobic objectives in the first place. Namely the forfeit of one’s original nationality… …for the supreme honour of becoming a member of the great master race (in fact I don’t know a law which could be more blatantly racist - but that’s another story).

Upon renouncing original citizenship, one does not aquire I.D., rather one is awarded “Person with Overseas Chinese Status of No fixed abode living Somewhere in Taiwan”. Period. I’m not joking either.

Checking with immigration experts, this does NOT amount to citizenship. Hence one completely accords with the definition of being STATELESS. This condition, from renouncing one’s original citizenship must continue for at least one year, in reality around 18 months, before it is practically feasible to apply for the Taiwan I.D., and hence citizenship (If you leave the country just once during this period, add another year).

Ergo, by forcing “would be naturalizers” to become stateless, the laws of most original countries kick-in, and you can get your original citizenship back. Dur taiwan, wanna think that one through again?

To get your Aussie citizenship back, you need to live in Australia for a full year, after which time you can reclaim your citizenship.

Not so. If you have renounced Australian Citizenship you can re-obtain it from overseas without having set one foot inside Australia.

It is not a requirement to have lived in Australia for one year first. How could you if your not a citizen or resident. :loco: :loco:

i would love to get a citizenship in Taiwan but I already have Canada + France and they are both citizenships I dont wanna risk loosing. Any more info would be awesome! :smiley:

[quote=“govt-attache”]Pity US citizens can’t do this - probably some kind of Uncle Sam position like “either you’re with us or against us”. Time to lobby your congressmen, guys.[/quote]govt-attache -
Well…Congratulations on reclaiming your British citizenship. Perhaps this will inspire others to do the same.

As to your comment re:US citizens. I think its not so much the “with us or against us” thing as it is one of simply thinking that such an action of denouncing ones US citizenship is not something to be whimsically entered into. Thus, if one goes to all of the trouble and thought of doing, its a decision they will have to live with. Things to be considered before hand and all that.
Having said that, I really don’t know what the actual facts of the matter for reclaiming denounced US citizenship. If its like most things, assuming one hasn’t pissed too much in the legal waters, a friendly Senator or home-town member of Congress could probably start a favorable ball rolling for something like this.

At least thats my take on it. This and NT$59 will get you a 600ml Taiwan beer @ 7-11.

A couple of questions:

How long do you need to wait to get an ROC ID?
Can you get an ROC ID without any relationship to a ROC citizen? (i.e. married to a local)
Does an ROC ID entitle you to all the good stuff like a local visa card, mortgage from the bank, ability to purchase land?

[quote=“Truant”]A couple of questions:

How long do you need to wait to get an ROC ID?
Can you get an ROC ID without any relationship to a ROC citizen? (i.e. married to a local)
Does an ROC ID entitle you to all the good stuff like a local visa card, mortgage from the bank, ability to purchase land?[/quote]

You do not need to have any relationship to an ROC national to become an ROC citizen. both myself and Gov Attache were single.

However now that both the British and Australian government know that you canot acquire citizenship within the required legal statutes governing renunciation both governments may now refuse to let you renounce your original citizenships… So we may be the only ones from our countries to have done it.

Yep you get to have your own loans property businesses and whatever else… ahhhhh freedom :smiley: :smiley:

I’m a US citizen but I was born in the UK. I wonder if I can claim British citizenship? Then I can renounce it and get ROC citizenship. Then I can reclaim my British citizenship and have triple citizenship! There would then be no country I could not visit!

Does anyone know what the cut-off age for military service is?

35 I think (someone will correct me if I’m wrong)

I don’t think that’s the case, at least not for the UK. The route that govt. attache took is still open to other Brits, I’m fairly certain of that (as long as you have British parents - if not it gets a little more complicated).

I don’t think that’s the case, at least not for the UK. The route that govt. attache took is still open to other Brits, I’m fairly certain of that (as long as you have British parents - if not it gets a little more complicated).[/quote]

You won’t know until the next Brit tries to renounce his nationality for ROC nationality. :sunglasses:

Taffy - in theory HM Govt should not allow you to renouce because they now know that the Taiwanese declaration of “yes, said person will get citizenship if he renounces” document (which you have to submit before they let you renounce) is now a mis-truth (i.e. a blatant lie).

However, I’m willing to bet they will still let you do it.

Satellite TV is correct - you won’t know until you try - however, the advantage of trying is that the BTCO here will review your documents, submit photocopies of them to their legal boys in the home office - and they’ll either give you the green light or otherwise - BEFORE YOU ACTUALLY GO AHEAD & RENOUNCE YOUR CITIZENSHIP.

so you dont burn any bridges by trying. Go ahead and try. My gut feeling is that the window is still open. Also, you could talk to the head of the consular section (Steve Taylor) who could probably give you a definitve yes or no on the spot.

They actually encourage you to get your passport back y’know (i’ve got that in writing!).

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“govt-attache”]Pity US citizens can’t do this - probably some kind of Uncle Sam position like “either you’re with us or against us”. Time to lobby your congressmen, guys.[/quote]govt-attache -
Well…Congratulations on reclaiming your British citizenship. Perhaps this will inspire others to do the same.

As to your comment re:US citizens. I think its not so much the “with us or against us” thing as it is one of simply thinking that such an action of denouncing ones US citizenship is not something to be whimsically entered into. Thus, if one goes to all of the trouble and thought of doing, its a decision they will have to live with. [/quote]

Here’s some info on renouncing U.S. citizenship if anyone cares to dig into it.

Finally, those contemplating a renunciation of U.S. citizenship should understand that the act is irrevocable, except as provided in section 351 of the INA…
travel.state.gov/law/citizenship … p_776.html

govt-attache, did you have to do the language/culture test? I’m trying to figure out at what stage in the process that has to be done.

Brian

I didn’t have to do the language test - I think it will still take some time before it becomes “administratively implemented” - even though it may be law right now.