2/3rds of spam servers in Taiwan

When you look at the amount of actual physical crap that is tossed around the place here, it is hardly surprising there is little regard for 2/3rds of the cyber crap also.

What a way to gain global popularity in a push for independence - piss off virtually every email user, constantly.

it-observer.com/news/6432/sp … ed_taiwan/

[quote]Spam Servers Exploiting Zombies Are Located In Taiwan
Thursday, 8 June 2006 16:27 EST

CipherTrust has announced that its research concluded that 64 percent of all spam servers - the servers that are the source to relay spam and phishing e-mails through zombie PCs - are located in Taiwan. The United States is next on the spam server blacklist at 23 percent and China is third at three percent.

CipherTrust deploys a network of zombie-like machines across the world to gather intelligence on spamming operations. While these fake zombies do not relay spam or phishing attacks to end-users, they collect messages from spammers trying to exploit those machines and feed the information into the TrustedSource reputation system that protects more than 2,500 enterprise customers worldwide. By capturing these messages, CipherTrust is able to determine the location of the spam servers.

Dr. Paul Judge, Chief Technology Officer, CipherTrust, said: “Although CipherTrust has successfully used our reputation technology to determine the location of zombie machines, our latest research further identifies the location of the originating servers. Not only can we use our technology to monitor zombie activity and analyse how spammers and phishers benefit from those compromised machines, but also we are now able to examine their origins. This is important information for ISP’s and law enforcement authorities in determining where to focus their efforts to make a real difference in the fight against attackers.”

Additionally, researchers found that during the past month, there was a 21 percent increase in the number of new zombie computers and a 20 percent increase in overall unwanted e-mail traffic. According to the information found using a combination of the TrustedSource technology and Message Profiler™ technology, this significant jump may coincide with the sharp rise in the use of randomised image-based stock spam in which spammers use more challenging graphics-based messages to avert traditional anti-spam deployments.[/quote]

That is terrible. But, most of that crap actually originated in the US, didn’t it, and was only relayed through Taiwan?

yes, I’ll amend the title to more accurately reflect that.

[quote=“Truant”]What a way to gain global popularity in a push for independence - piss off virtually every email user, constantly.[/quote]Those pissed off users also push their ISPs to refuse mail connections from ISPs here. Very inconvenient if you rely on one of those. You did nothing wrong, yet your mail gets bounced or blackholed.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]That is terrible. But, most of that crap actually originated in the US, didn’t it, and was only relayed through Taiwan?[/quote]Yeah…I blame US President George W. Bush for this… :unamused:

you started it.

philip.greenspun.com/humor/bush-nigerian-spam

Wow, the three countries on the spam server blacklist are the three countries that I’ve lived in. Anyone see a connection here?

Wow, the three countries on the spam server blacklist are the three countries that I’ve lived in. Anyone see a connection here?[/quote]
I do. You need a penis enlargement.

Wow, the three countries on the spam server blacklist are the three countries that I’ve lived in. Anyone see a connection here?[/quote]
I do. You need a penis enlargement.[/quote]

Wrong. I AM the penis enlargement.

Wrong. I AM the penis enlargement.[/quote]
brilliant. I thought I was doing ok, but you just kicked my ass. :bravo: :notworthy: :bravo: :notworthy:

Whatever. :unamused: I’m just commenting on the fact that the US is the world’s leading source of spam. I love my country, but that’s just a fact. It’s also a fact that the US government was extremely slow passing a federal anti-spam law and when they finally did they passed one that most authorities acknowledge is crappy. But I didn’t mean my comment as criticism of teh US govt at all. Admittedly, it’s extremely difficult to track down spammers and try to diminish the problem and perhaps no laws could make a dent in the problem. But that wasn’t my point. I was just commenting that Taiwan may lead in relaying spam, but most of it actually originates in the US.

Wrong. I AM the penis enlargement.[/quote]

:blush: :banana: :blush: