2 Canadians face year in jail for desecrating USA flag in US

What they did was pretty bad, but I think a year in jail is too much.

[quote]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100423/flag_case_100423/20100423?hub=World Police in California say two Canadians will be charged after they buried a U.S. flag flown to honour 9/11 victims and replaced it with a Canadian one following Sidney Crosby’s golden goal at the Olympics.

The district attorney’s office in Riverside, Calif., says 25-year-old Ryan Smith of Bermuda Dunes, Calif., and 26-year-old Matt Seifert of Palm Desert, Calif., will be charged with misdemeanour vandalism and flag desecration.

Both men are Canadian citizens.

The U.S. flag was placed on a La Quinta, Calif., mountaintop shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Investigators say the men replaced it Feb. 28 after Canada beat the U.S. to win the men’s hockey gold medal at the Vancouver Games.

It is not known if the men have hired an attorney. If convicted, they could face up to a year in jail.[/quote]

I can understand that after their Olympic exuberance they got drunk and went a little bit too far, but according to the original report, the tore up the US flag and buried it under a pile of rocks. And, it wasn’t their flag.

[quote]http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Canadians+accused+pulling+down+flag+facing+charges/2926510/story.html
LA QUINTA, Calif. — Police are recommending charges against two men who lowered an American flag in California and replaced it with a Canadian flag after the Canadian men’s hockey team won the gold medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics.

The police department in La Quinta, Calif., has requested that the district attorney lay charges of flag desecration and vandalism against Ryan Smith, 25, and Matt Siefert, 26, according to a statement issued Monday.

The flag in question had been displayed on a mountain top in La Quinta, a resort town about halfway between Los Angeles and the Nevada border which is popular with Canadian snowbirds. The flag had been "maintained by a private citizen in honour of the September 11, 2001 victims," the release said.

After Sidney Crosby scored the gold medal-winning goal against U.S. goaltender Ryan Miller on the afternoon of Feb. 28, police allege Smith and Siefert, who had watched the game at a nearby bar, trekked up to the top of what locals call Mount Happy and replaced the Stars and Stripes with the Maple Leaf.

Police said that the flag was “damaged” when they found it.

Smith, who lives in Bermuda Dunes, Calif., and Siefert, who lives in Palm Desert, Calif., are both Canadian citizens.

The flag’s keeper, Mayte Sterling, 58, said recently she couldn’t believe it when a neighbour alerted her to the prank.

“I was surprised, shocked,” said Sterling, a bartender at a private club. “It’s a special place.”

Her son, Robert Sterling Jr., climbed up the mountain in early March to replace the Canadian flag with a new American one. He said he found the old one torn apart and buried underneath a pile of rocks.
[/quote]

UGH. This story blows. Canadians should know better to act like that when visiting other countries. I’m cringing imagining how I would feel if a Canadian did this in Taiwan.
But a year in jail is too much. I think hey should just be made to issue a public apology and do some community service or something. :cry:

this is what happens in Obama’s America.

What does that mean? :ponder:

What does that mean? :ponder:[/quote]

freedom isn’t free Jimi
it costs folks like you and me
and if we don’t chip in we’ll never pay that bill

freedom isn’t free
no its a hefty fuckin fee
and if you don’t throw in your buck-o-five who will?

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]

freedom isn’t free Jimi
it costs folks like you and me
and if we don’t chip in we’ll never pay that bill

freedom isn’t free
no its a hefty fuckin fee
and if you don’t throw in your buck-o-five who will?[/quote]
Well, that’s one dandy fucken pome alright, but still don’t make no sense to meee.

We’ll have to see how it turns out, but of course a year in jail is harsh.

Love for one’s country is healthy, but I never quite understood the need to get too worked up about the descration of emblems or icons. Nobody got hurt. It’s a flag.

It’s not illegal to desecrate the flag (Texas v. Johnson), but it is illegal to damage other people’s property.

I’m gonna go against the grain here.

I think a year in prison is just about right . . .

if they spend that year in prison sewing American flags onto backpacks. :stuck_out_tongue:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Come off it. :doh: People have been desecrating the flag under all presidents. I recall seeing a college classmate who did it when Bush I was in office.

As punishment (in lieu of one year in jail) I propose that a large american flag be tattooed on one bum cheek per perp as reminder of their crime. Of course they can always claim they are sitting on the flag, but thats ok.

I say send their ass back to Canada, don’t come back for 10 years and be done with it. Why put them in jail? More of my taxes going down the drain, someway somehow… :unamused:

Just another American - Canadian thread, with the sole aim to shoot at eachother.
Just waht Forumosa needs again. What a juvenile behavior I encounter here… :frowning:

chinapost.com.tw/internation … -urges.htm

happens in France too

Really?
I’ve seen not a few heads smacked outside of the U.S. embassey in T.O. They tried the same, or worse.

Wait and see how long they really get. A year is the maximum charge and they haven’t been convicted yet. If they get the maximum charge we’ll have something to complain about.

I was a little amped when I posted the story, let’s hope the judge is young or remembers what it’s like to knock back a few in his younger days. It’s not like they hurt a person.

Really?
I’ve seen not a few heads smacked outside of the U.S. embassey in T.O. They tried the same, or worse.[/quote]

heads smacked by who? What exactly happened?

God! Colonials! Time to send the redcoats back to establish some kind of order among the heathens. honest to god! You go out of your way to bring them the word! And what do you get? A bunch of pissed off Polaks, Armenians and goddamned WEEDGIES! Calling the odds and getting their knickers bent out of shape.
Yankland. For SURE, the most foreign of all the foreigners. These guys are on a different fucking PLANET, I shit you not!
And I just BET they’d be lining up in the streets to tell you how that kind of nonsensicality is in no way related to Muslims getting pissed off by infidels mocking the prophet.
Fucking clowns.

Make their sentence in “Canadian time”…then they’ll get out in only 9 months…:smiley:

Sandman wrote: [quote]God! Colonials! blah blah blah blah Fucking clowns.[/quote]

Well, people vote with their feet.
For every Scottish immigrant to the US, The Great White North, Marsupial Land or NZ, I wonder how many have moved to Scotland.
:laughing: :laughing:

Zender wrote: [quote]
I think a year in prison is just about right . . .

if they spend that year in prison sewing American flags onto backpacks. :p[/quote]

:roflmao: Nice work zender. Brilliant.