20% off at page 1 on English titles

Just in case some of you are nerds and want to go on a shopping spree.Edit: Till the 30th.

Perfect.

I’ll be in Taipei on the 16th.

:frowning:

Woo-hoo! I just got paid.
Holiday bills? What bills??

Exactly what Ecaps said. I’ll be in Taipei on the 16th and I need some new books.

I just gave Page One a call, and the operator said that the 20% off all English books will go till June 30.

Page One Books, Taipei 101 Mall, tel: 8101-8282

Woo Hoo!

Bad news. Means they’re not selling well. Expect a lot fewer titles in the near future. Page 1: International bookstore with Taiwanese characteristics. Just as well bookshops don’t sell instant noodles and toilet paper.

I always wonder how they stay open. Rent must be huge. They don’t really sell many English learning materials. There just aren’t enough expats/English reedurs here to support it, surely?

I guess it will go the ways of Caves, Eslite, etc. A fair amount of stuff, but not much that isn’t ‘bestseller’-ish, so pretty boring to browse around.

I’ve never been there that I have not had to wait in line to purchase. They don’t seem to lack sales.

About a year ago I bought a couple of books and they offered me a VIP card. 20% off books not on sale all year round.

I am pretty sure if you ask for a card, they will give you one as long as you are buying 2-3 books at the time…and to get it renewed each year, you need to use it regularly.

If it runs like a bookstore in the west then they would buy books from the publishers. All books that go unsold after one calendar year can be returned to the publisher for a full refund. Then the store has the option of buying them back at remainder prices (a fraction of the original cost). Bookstores never have to worry about losing money that way.

The rent on the other hand…

Ecaps

:idunno: I’ve seen locals including Dragonbabe buying English books there. They seem to be selling, perhaps just not enough to cover their HUGE overhead.

I don’t go there much because they have a poor selection on Chinese etymology.

[quote=“Truant”]About a year ago I bought a couple of books and they offered me a VIP card. 20% off books not on sale all year round.

I am pretty sure if you ask for a card, they will give you one as long as you are buying 2-3 books at the time…and to get it renewed each year, you need to use it regularly.[/quote]

I went last night, bought 3 books and asked about the card, and they said they no longer offer them. :frowning:

The Chinese titles are all 10% off btw.

I’m just disappointed because every time I see this thread I think it says “20% off on titties.”

But books are good too. Maybe I’ll sneak over there this weekend, since the wife will be out of town, and spend some of our hard-earned cash.

[quote=“Incubus”][quote=“Truant”]About a year ago I bought a couple of books and they offered me a VIP card. 20% off books not on sale all year round.

I am pretty sure if you ask for a card, they will give you one as long as you are buying 2-3 books at the time…and to get it renewed each year, you need to use it regularly.[/quote]

I went last night, bought 3 books and asked about the card, and they said they no longer offer them. :frowning: [/quote]
That’s a bummer. I can’t see why they’d hold out on the card, it sure makes me tend to stick with Page1 and buy more books than I should.

My card is only 10% :frowning:

I’ve had a card with them for a year and a half and it, like all the other major bookstores in Taiwan, is only 10%.

You have to spend a huge amount, I think $2000 or $3000 in one day to get a card. You also have to spend another $1000 one time to get it renewed.

It’s better than Eslite who requires you to spend $5000 in one day to get their card. And their English selection is crap. Their “discount card” used to be a credit card. Still nothing but jumping hoops…

Caves for magazines and teaching materials, PageOne for books and non-fiction, and Eslite only if I crave a new book after 9:30pm.

I spent this afternoon in Page One.

I asked one serviceperson about the membership card.
She told me that now customers must spend NT$ 10,000 to earn a membership card.
(The total amount of receipts from Pageone within one month reaches NT$ 10,000.)

The effectivenes time of your car is one year.
When your card expires, you have to sepnd NT$1,000 within one month extend your membership for another one year.

Even though Pageone has 20% off event, the prices of their collection is still much higher than Eliste, Cave, Bookman or Lailai. But they have some books that other bookstores don’t import.
You can ask they to order books for you if their suppliers have the collection.
I had them ordering books for me few times. I found that would be cheapter than ordering books from Amazon.com sometimes.

I bought several books today.

Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
And the most important one: The Children of Hurin

I found The Children of Hurin is British edition.
Why on earth British edition is always expensive than American edition?

I messed out my budget and must live on brad and water for months.

[quote=“kate.lin”]I messed out my budget and must live on brad and water for months.[/quote]Brad’s a lucky guy. :wink:

Haha…misspelling!! :blush:

My English is moving backward to elementary level.

Thanks for everyone’s tolerance.