20 percent of the staff do 80 percent of the work

“A sharper manager than [Jones] would have realized that what he was really observing was the [Workplace Principle]: 20 percent of employees do 80 percent of the work at almost every institution. …It’s an immutable law of the workplace.”

I read this today. Does it seem true where you work, here in Taiwan or overseas as well?

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes…

My wife and I share the housework. I do the laundry. She sweeps. Everything else gets left. Can’t say fairer than that.

In the workplace, in Taiwan anyway, I’d say that 90% of people do as little as they can get away with. Only 10% work hard, either to impress the boss, impress themselves, or because they’re too stupid to realize that no one else is pulling their weight. That’s been my experience anyway.

It’s often said that 20% of your customers take up 80% of your time, and that 20% of your customers provide 80% of your income.

I’ve found this rule of thumb to be fairly reliable. I’ve never heard it applied to work place productivity.

[quote=“Fox”]It’s often said that 20% of your customers take up 80% of your time, and that 20% of your customers provide 80% of your income.

I’ve found this rule of thumb to be fairly reliable. I’ve never heard it applied to work place productivity.[/quote]

Ha! What do you think you’re waiting on now, Fox?
If “the one you’re dealing with” can squeak ONE letter out a day, that’s something. It’s painful to observe.
It’s no wonder myself and the other consultant get paid three times what they do per hour. We accomplish ten times the amount in less than half the time. At least. Just venting, but it’s soooo true.
Then there are the endless meetings where they rehash and never reach consensus until the next phase ensues. Endless rubbish meetings.
Oh, and when the big bosses step in, everything changes once again, and it’s all back to square one. It’s only when they’re put under pressure by the big bosses after they’ve changed their minds five times and after months of babbling that suddenly THEY come and squeeze US, which I tend to resent more and more lately.

But that’s only injected more drive into me to work on my own. Which is a good thing, and quite feasibly more profitable in the long run.

:wink:

10% of your co-workers work hard? 1 in 10? Got any job openings? I would love to work at a place that productive. I was once told by a co-worker “Slow down, you’re making us look bad.” Oops.

Now I spend my office time fairly evenly divided between MSN Messenger and forumosa. The longest Messenger chats I have with Taiwan friends is during office hours. And it took me a long time to figure out that the majority of all those people outside all day long are “working.” Check out all the suits at Warner Village on any given weekday. The hardest-working person back at the office is usually the poor “gongdu sheng,” standing in front of the photocopier half the day. But she makes a great cup of Lipton, and I’m no longer irritated when she says bye-bye-yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

The rubbish with that it’s 20% of the staff earning 80% of the money to the company was used as a scare tactic by the boss of a financial sweatshop I used to work for.

However, he never too the consequence of it and fired the rest of us.

If a company is filled completely with the 20% that actually do the work in a normal company then nothing gets done because everyone wants to do things their way… you will have chaos, and then 80% of the people will quit citing “inability to grow personally.” Then the vacant positions are filled with clueless people or people who don’t care, a.k.a. the “normal” employees who let the 20% do whatever they want, and then all is peaceful and the company meets projected EPS…

You need leaders and then you need followers who’s willing to be led.

try Pareto analysis in your workplace…

It may give some results

“You need leaders and then you need followers who’s willing to be led.”

I hope you don’t confuse leadership with position… two different things