20% surcharge for foreigners at a 5-start hotel?

Really? Looks like I’m wrong then.

Well, it does happen in other countries, including NZ. There’s nothing racist about it.

Brian

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Bu Lai En”]Don’t you listen? Every country does this. Lower rates for residents.
Brian[/quote]Illegal in the USA.
I won’t say it has never been done there, but it is illegal. Hotels, motels and such are very closely monitored for things like this.
Rate discounts are part of the game and these are available in many different ways, i.e., AAA Cards (American Automobile Association), various credit card specials, Business association discounts, etc.

But charging someone a higher rate based on nationality is most def a big no-no.[/quote]

Universities sure as hell do it. International students pay tuitions that are an order of magnitude higher than local residents.

[quote=“Sam Vimes”][quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Bu Lai En”]Don’t you listen? Every country does this. Lower rates for residents.
Brian[/quote]Illegal in the USA.
I won’t say it has never been done there, but it is illegal. Hotels, motels and such are very closely monitored for things like this.
Rate discounts are part of the game and these are available in many different ways, i.e., AAA Cards (American Automobile Association), various credit card specials, Business association discounts, etc.

But charging someone a higher rate based on nationality is most def a big no-no.[/quote]Universities sure as hell do it. International students pay tuitions that are an order of magnitude higher than local residents.[/quote]
Yes they certainly do.
However this thread is referring to rate differences of the hospitality industry.

Tuition rates are determined by the Universities.
The tuition for out-of-state students is also higher than for in-state students.
Ex: A student from Nebraska pays more for the college in Montana than a Montana student pays for the Montana college.
This has been determined to be acceptable under federal statutes. This has been standard for international students.
I believe, could be wrong, that it comes down to a belief that the resident student, or their family, has contributed to the tax base of the college while the out-of-state student has not. This may be extrapolated in some manner to the foreign student.

But again, the thread is about hotel rates.
In Taiwan, I learned to always have the tai tai make the reservations.

I don’t know about that, Tainan Cowboy. I’ve come accross countless American travel and hotel websites that advertise specials open to US residents only. Same thing in my book.

I don’t have a problem with this idea, except for the fact that they usually make you go through the whole process of filing out information and only inform you that the specials are open to residents only on the very last page just when you think you’re done! :fume:

I’m surprised they do this in New Zealand. And how do they know if you are a resident or not? Surely not by accent?

5-start hotel ?

Why on earth would you want to stay in a hotel in Taipei? Surely given the standard of the service industry here they are almost bound to be crap?

[quote]Why on earth would you want to stay in a hotel in Taipei?
[/quote]

You can’t think of a reason?:loco:

[quote]
Surely given the standard of the service industry here they are almost bound to be crap? [/quote]

I’ve stayed in some really good ones.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote]Why on earth would you want to stay in a hotel in Taipei?
[/quote][/quote]

You can’t think of a reason?:loco:

Ah. Yes. Er, um, silly me. :blush:

Disneyland gives a discount to So-Cal residents. Is this discount something like this? Disneyland is the happiest place on earth, so they say.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Rate discounts are part of the game and these are available in many different ways, i.e., AAA Cards (American Automobile Association), various credit card specials, Business association discounts, etc.

But charging someone a higher rate based on nationality is most def a big no-no.[/quote] I agree it kind of sucks, but I am use to it, besides I have a Taiwan wife so we still get the local rates when we book with her name.

You can look at it like the membership is their Taiwan ID Card, because that is what they ask for the lower rate.

For what it is worth The Lalu Hotel at Sun Moon Lake, which is the most expensive in Taiwan and definitely qualifies as 5 Star, has the same super expensive price for their hotel suites for both foreigners and Taiwan people.

Paying over NT$10,000 to stay at a Taiwanese 5-start hotel? (Can someone fix the thread subject line? Or is it a joke?)

Rates here (asiatravel.com/taiwan/taiwan.html) seem a bit more reasonable. The Landis Corner Suite looks very nice, and asiahotels.com is quoting it at US$220 a night, which is not too bad for a full-on suite.

However, Singapore and Bangkok hotels are generally much cheaper. Why is that? Is it just that no-one comes to Taipei unless they have to, and usually a company is paying?

there have been articles in the english papers from time to time saying that the government is going to do something about the high prices of hotels here. it wouldn’t surprise me to find out that taiwan loses out on holding some major events because of this …

i think we had a discussion in a previous thread about how the “drive-in” motels are a much better option in many cities in taiwan. usually have a jacuzzi tub and a sauna. you can even get the “chair” if you want to :wink: . and the price usually is much more reasonable.

NT10000? 3-years ago a got the presidential suite at the Royal Hotel on Zhongshan N Rd for 9000 + 10%. It was fantastic. Listed rate was 90,000. You have to ask for those resident rates.

Brian

[quote=“twocs”]Disneyland gives a discount to So-Cal residents. Is this discount something like this? Disneyland is the happiest place on earth, so they say.[/quote]twocs -
I had forgotten about this. You are absolutely right!

It is a yearly promo based on your zip code. It runs for a few weeks during the “slow season”. Which is funny since Disney Land in Anaheim is never slow, especially since all of the new stuff was added.

Funny thing. I lived 10 minutes from the place for 12 years and never went. Did a few trade shows at the Disney Convention Center but never made it to MickeyLand.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on the zip code promo.

NT10000? 3-years ago a got the presidential suite at the Royal Hotel on Zhongshan N Rd for 9000 + 10%. It was fantastic. Listed rate was 90,000. You have to ask for those resident rates.

Brian[/quote]

Good man! I will, cheers. I think better rooms in cheaper hotels are the way to go, and that’s what I often try for abroad. Rather have a suite at a second-rate hotel than a broom cupboard at the Ritz.

I have long since given up staying in any hotels in Taiwan for this very reason. If I absolutely must stay over night somewhere in Taiwan it’s either a cheapo hole or the company booked.

For the same price of staying in a nice hotel in Taipei for the weekend I can stay in a better hotel in Thailand.

Hotels are far too expensive here for what you get in return (at least as compared to other countries in the region).

Booking hotels online will get you much lower rates than standing around in the lobby.

The following rates are “not applicable for Taiwanese”.

Shangri-la’s Far Eastern Plaza NT$5950 (weekend)
Agora Garden NT$5000
Dashi Resort NT$3350 (weekday)
The Landis Taipei Hotel NT$4700
Regent NT$5650

asiatravel.com

I once went for a weekend down to Kending without making a hotel reservation. Didn’t think it was necessary. It was kinda silly of me because the girlfriend and I arrived only to find all the hotels full. Eventually got offered the presidential suite at the Caesar Park. I nearly popped a coronary when the duty manager said, “Special price for you sir… only NT$23,000 per night … it includes breakfast and use of the fitness centre…” :noway: WTF?