$200 ATMs

Not really. I’ve probably spent about over $500k in $200 bills over the past decade. The times I’ve been refused add up to around ten. I can list most of these incidents from memory because they’re so rare and I get combative and always try to convince the person to take it. Funny thing is every time someone refuses the bill they insist no one else will take it.

Using $200 for a $180 purchase beats taking out a $500 and having to get a wad of dirty $100 in return. It’s convenient for everything except machine payments, as is the $2000 bill for money laundering / carrying around large amounts of cash.

1 Like

Never been refused here either. I only give it over when it’s too late, such as after I’m holding or eating the food. They take it or don’t get paid. Other than a few stares everyone took it

I can understand the reluctance to take 2000 notes (they really exist ?) just like our USA stores often won’t break a fifty and even harder to break a hundski

But 200nt should be widely accepted
It’s not that much money

1 Like

I never had a $200 refused. In fact, barely anyone raises an eyebrow. Just get flustered trying to find somewhere to put it in their cash register.

It’s legal tender, they can’t refuse it.

But cashiers hate them because it’s awkward, like 2 dollar bills in the US (those exist too).

You have A-bian ones?

The most counterfeited bill is the 20 USD bill, go figure.

Most common large Bill I guess
Who wants to counterfeit the single right ?

Not sure, what is that version?

Funny thing is, in all the years I worked retail in Taiwan I have yet to run into counterfeit bills (they happen but it’s so rare you’d win the lottery if you ran into it during your shift).

When I worked at Walmart I run into them every other month. And they’re pretty damned obvious too. Off center prints (meaning the print on the bill is off center), lack of watermarks, color changing thingie don’t change color, etc… Had one guy wanting to buy like close to 1000 dollars worth of gardening equipment, and gave bills that looked off (they are always the older bills, there’s a reason why banks here won’t take them). I call for a manager when I see this and 9 times out of 10 they are in a huge hurry to leave (they know the bill is fake).

Sometimes those pen don’t always work because there are ways to defeat them. For example coating them with elmer’s glue.

Uh, good luck with that. Pretty sure Taiwan has no such law. I’ve had $1NTD coins refused before. Are you really going to tell the street vendor guy that it’s “legal tender” and they therefore can’t refuse it?

I had this weird looking 500 NT$ bill many years ago and so I went to the BOT to exchange it. The guy behind the counter said that it was a fake one and that I was out of luck, didn’t get a new bill.

This is the law (article 13):
https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=G0410001

If someone refuses, the Central Bank has a number to call and they will try to promote acceptance of that unit of currency. However, there is no statutory penalty for violations of article 13 so it’s essentially toothless.

1 Like

Some vendors will just give you a 1nt discount and not accept the coin, they rather eat the cost than deal with all the 1s

That just says currency issued by the bank is legal tender, it doesn’t say you can’t refuse it.

Got some at First Bank ATM here in KHH

1 Like