200 dogs without caregiver

Seems a woman who was taking care of stray animals -she went on the news last year with a street petition to Guo Tai-ming to finance more stray dog shelters- fell and is now in a coma. The dogs have not received care since, and are locked, without roof, wet, dirty, no food, sick and healthy alike in a shelter in Sanzhi -apparently, allegedly.

If anyone knows more about this case, please post.

Why do bad things always happen to people who seem to be doing a lot for others? Nature sure does seem to be a completely random thing. You never know when you’re going to get hit.

The lady wasn’t so young, and to tell you the truth, from the video of her fall -after visiting a temple- I could venture he was having a stroke because she seemed to walk rather erratically, missed a step, and … catastrophe.

What I can’t imagine is that there isn’t some kind of backup, I mean, no one can take care of 200 dogs by themselves. I guess it is because it is New Year and all.

Any more news about this?

Nope, can’t find it in Chinese newspapers, just on TV.

Latest news - Professor Gia Xian Huo - caregiver to the dogs, died.

The number to call if you want to help these dogs is (02)2670-7126, but seeing as it’s been splashed all over the news, they’ve probably got some help already.

Here are a couple of news articles in Chinese:
http://udn.com/NEWS/SOCIETY/SOC5/5430219.shtml

http://news.chinatimes.com/2007Cti/2007Cti-News/2007Cti-News-Content/0,4521,130503+132010022100579,00.html

I think the existence of this dog storage facility is pointless and all the dogs should be turned over to the government authorities where 95% of them will be put down eventually. The puppies they will be able to give away, if there are any, but from the pictures it looks like yet another one-person dog hording facility. Please spend your time, energy, and money helping to educate potential or existing pet owners instead of giving in to pity and enabling people like this to keep dogs in dismal conditions without any real means to rehome them.

An abandoned dog may be “poor”, but that really doesn’t mean he should be scooped up and stuffed in a pen with 100 other dogs for the next ten years of his life. That seems crueler than just killing him outright.

And that was the part I was trying to make sense of. sigh

I am a furriner of limited language skills and I can find someone to spay/neuter animals for free or minimal fee. How come they say she couldn’t and that is why the dogs were reproding still like rabbits?

Two thirds of the animals in the facility have skin diseases, as helathy and sick dogs are held together. In the video you can see the dogs escaping the grounds under the fence…

sigh

Anyway, peace to her now, and to her family. And to work for the doggies.

Is it really the reproducing that is the problem which caused her to accumulate 200 dogs, or is it the willingness to respect life (i.e. make irresponsible pet owners’ problems go away by keeping these dogs alive in these facilities)?

In an indoor facility it seems like it would be easy to solve the reproduction problem by just erecting two enclosures and sticking dogs of either sex in respective enclosures. If she lacked even the presence of mind to do that, seems like another reason not to support this.

Donate the money to an educational program. If all the money that went into sustaining the lives of these animals being kept in inhuman conditions (which this lady claimed ran around NT$200,000 plus NT$30,000 rent a month, so NT$2.76 million a year for this place alone) instead was used to purchase prime time slots for TV ads to indoctrinate people about not abandoning their pets and the horrible things which happen to these pets, this would solve the source of the problem. Scare and brainwash the children into growing up to be responsible pet owners. There’s very little point in the greater scheme of things to keep unwanted animals alive. The resources available should be really used more effectively, as donations for animal welfare are usually fairly limited. Animal storage facilities like these still exist everywhere in Taiwan though, costing tens of millions to operate each year. Imagine if that support was used in a more effective way.

Oh, jeez, I know this woman and that place. It’s near Bai Xia Wan, as I remember–a good drive away. She offered to take in a feral dog who’s pack had been poisoned, but, on seeing the place, we turned away and never went back. Like most ai xin mamas and hoarders, she’s a kind person who is putting quantity of animals before quality of life, and has no safety net in place should she find herself unable to care for them. The dogs did not look well cared for.

Poor lady, though. Hope she recovers soon.

lupillus, the animal-welfare world is made up of people with very differing opinions on what’s the best way to go about things, and they all have their own priorities. As much as I agree with you that dedicating resources to the root of the problem is the only way to fix it, I can’t condemn people for wanting to save individuals.

Each to their own, and we all make a positive difference in our own way. As much as I know where all my time and money should be directed, I also feel it’s my duty to help those individual animals who cross my path, and so I do some of both. The latter does a lot to raise awareness and funds for the former.

Having said that, I agree with you that the professor was a hoarder and was falling very short of caring adequately for the animals she took in.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Oh, jeez, I know this woman and that place. It’s near Bai Xia Wan, as I remember–a good drive away. She offered to take in a feral dog who’s pack had been poisoned, but, on seeing the place, we turned away and never went back. Like most ai xin mamas and hoarders, she’s a kind person who is putting quantity of animals before quality of life, and has no safety net in place should she find herself unable to care for them. The dogs did not look well cared for.

Poor lady, though. Hope she recovers soon.[/quote]

Stray, she died yesterday. :frowning:

I was reading just yesterday about one of these women in the UK. When the authorities finally broke into her home it was the usual story – hundreds of cats all over the house, half-eaten, rotten food and excrement everywhere, dead animals, the lot. The usual.
At least that woman actually got jail time. Usually they just get banned from keeping animals. :s

Good grief! Now it doesn’t seem like she was doing a good deed at all. She probably was a bit mental and seriously thought that she was “rescuing” these poor abused animals. How does somebody get to keep so many animals in dismal conditions without anybody reporting them?

twonavels, this is the norm here; we’ve seen worse at animal-welfare places. Most of the ai xin mamas are running places that are worse than this one. I know a few good ones, but they are the exception.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Oh, jeez, I know this woman and that place. It’s near Bai Xia Wan, as I remember–a good drive away. She offered to take in a feral dog who’s pack had been poisoned, but, on seeing the place, we turned away and never went back. Like most ai xin mamas and hoarders, she’s a kind person who is putting quantity of animals before quality of life, and has no safety net in place should she find herself unable to care for them. The dogs did not look well cared for.[/quote]Stray Dog. I think you’re talking about Ms. Wang (王) and her husband who live near Baishawan and have hoarded over 600 dogs at their place near the beach.

The lady that died, Ms. Jia (賈), has a place up on the mountain between Danshui and San-Zhi and she only has 200 dogs. She use to keep her dogs at 淡水頂寮村 and she moved to 三芝鄉番子崙(mountain side). Here are some more news articles and a blog regarding what she was trying to accomplish.

Yahoo Article 1

Yahoo Article 2

Blog

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“Stray Dog”]Oh, jeez, I know this woman and that place. It’s near Bai Xia Wan, as I remember–a good drive away. She offered to take in a feral dog who’s pack had been poisoned, but, on seeing the place, we turned away and never went back. Like most ai xin mamas and hoarders, she’s a kind person who is putting quantity of animals before quality of life, and has no safety net in place should she find herself unable to care for them. The dogs did not look well cared for.[/quote]Stray Dog. I think you’re talking about Ms. Wang (王) and her husband who live near Baishawan and have hoarded over 600 dogs at their place near the beach.

The lady that died, Ms. Jia (賈), has a place up on the mountain between Danshui and San-Zhi and she only has 200 dogs. She use to keep her dogs at 淡水頂寮村 and she moved to 三芝鄉番子崙(mountain side). Here are some more news articles and a blog regarding what she was trying to accomplish.

Yahoo Article 1

Yahoo Article 2

Blog[/quote]

Northcoast Surfer - Not sure what you’re trying to say. That this woman was not another animal hoarding person with good intentions? If you read the articles, you would see a dialog with a volunteer who had been on the scene:

Volunteer Bai Yi-hua: “All the female dogs were not spayed and she just let them have puppies.”
Reporter: “How about their skin disease?”
Bai: “More than two-thirds suffer from skin disease, almost every dog has skin disease, apart from the newborn pups.”

照生協會義工白宜華:「母狗都沒結紮,都讓牠生。」
記者:「皮膚病的部分?」
白宜華:「皮膚病有2/3以上,幾乎每一隻都有,除非是剛出生的小狗。」

Skin disease really only proliferates like that when the living conditions are somewhat confined and foul. Normal animals are supposed to be able to battle off skin disease somewhat if they are healthy, but it’s hard not to get skin disease when you’re caked in a layer of feces and piss for months or years.

She was the one that knelt in front of Terry Gou of Honghai Precision, asking him to help the stray dogs. This is her actual blog, on a letter mainly accusing an NTU professor (who is a licensed veterinarian) of not knowing how to sterilize animals or do chip implants. Because Gou put this professor in charge of implementing his donation, and the professor supports some culling of stray dogs to control numbers (instead of the government collecting and keeping all stray animals alive and providing wonderful food, medical care, etc. until they all live out their natural lifespans. Imagine that - perhaps we could re-appropriate half of Taipei City as dog paradise and double everyone’s taxes to pay for this.)

She also made other shaky accusations such as the government making female dogs have puppies so they can fulfill a kill count. And that the government dog catchers will catch dogs with owners on purpose in order to fulfill this kill count also. However, if you are a responsible dog owner and your dog is chipped, walked on a leash and only let off the leash when in supervised, safe areas, how can the big bad dogcatchers snatch your pup? Are they breaking down people’s doors to murder their dogs like in the Cultural Revolution??? Even if your dog is lost and caught, government pounds are required to contact the owner stated on the chip.

Also, her blog only seems to have a certificate providing the legality of her “association” and a bank account number for donations + scan of the bankbook cover. There is no information about how to adopt the 200 dogs she has, any information about specific dogs, or any statement asking people to adopt them from her.
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/jai-dogs/article?mid=2&prev=4&l=a&fid=1

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“Stray Dog”]Oh, jeez, I know this woman and that place. It’s near Bai Xia Wan, as I remember–a good drive away. She offered to take in a feral dog who’s pack had been poisoned, but, on seeing the place, we turned away and never went back. Like most ai xin mamas and hoarders, she’s a kind person who is putting quantity of animals before quality of life, and has no safety net in place should she find herself unable to care for them. The dogs did not look well cared for.[/quote]Stray Dog. I think you’re talking about Ms. Wang (王) and her husband who live near Baishawan and have hoarded over 600 dogs at their place near the beach.

Yahoo Article 1

Yahoo Article 2

Blog[/quote]

Thanks for that info, but this is the woman whose place we visited. It may not be fair to say this of someone who’s just died, but I think that she had a different reality to the rest of us–let’s just put it that way–as most hoarders do.

So where are the dogs now?

[quote=“lupillus”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“Stray Dog”]Oh, jeez, I know this woman and that place. It’s near Bai Xia Wan, as I remember–a good drive away. She offered to take in a feral dog who’s pack had been poisoned, but, on seeing the place, we turned away and never went back. Like most ai xin mamas and hoarders, she’s a kind person who is putting quantity of animals before quality of life, and has no safety net in place should she find herself unable to care for them. The dogs did not look well cared for.[/quote]Stray Dog. I think you’re talking about Ms. Wang (王) and her husband who live near Baishawan and have hoarded over 600 dogs at their place near the beach.

Yahoo Article 1

Yahoo Article 2

Blog[/quote]Northcoast Surfer - [color=#FF0000]Not sure what you’re trying to say.[/color] That this woman was not another animal hoarding person with good intentions? If you read the articles, you would see a dialog with a volunteer who had been on the scene:[/quote]I was trying to tell Stray Dog that I thought he was mistaken as to which person died because Ms. Jia is in the mountains and Ms. Wang and her husband’s shelter is located on an another beach just down the road from Baishawan Beach. He mentioned Ms. Jia being near Baishawan Beach and I thought he was mixing Ms. Wang up with Ms. Jia because Ms. Jia is in the mountains not the beach. That’s all.

I live here in San-Zhi, I’ve known both Ms. Jia and Ms. Wang personally for a number of years. In fact, I’ve worked with Ms. Wang and her husband on many occasions in the past regarding rescues and adoptions. However, I now run my own private stray dog rescue organization up here on the north coast and my current interaction with them is infrequent.

Ms Jia’s place is only a few minutes from the beach, up a road towards the mountains, next to a baseball stadium.