2006.03.06 public shelter let dogs eat each other in taiwan!

[quote]According to the media reports, the caretaker confessed that because there are so many stray dogs at the shelter, they would inevitably eat each other if they were inadequately fed. The Environment Protection Department has been catching too many stray dogs recently, the caretaker complained.

The office further indicated that funds allocated to the shelter to feed the dogs and to put down animals when necessary are adequate, but noted that there were only three people on staff to take care of approximately 150 dogs.

The three caretakers have to feed 150 dogs and keep the shelter clean, which means that they are under a lot pressure, the office said.

[/quote]

WTF!

The people in charge there should be taken out and placed in a stockade.

How the fuck can the feeding of 150 dogs be too much work for three people.

When I was a kid I fed 150 pigs, 38 head of cattle, and 17 horses twice daily (every day) as well as a goat and numerous dogs and cats. That on top of cleaning stalls and the many other tasks that need done on any farm.

These people simply do not give a shit. I cannot believe that such incompetence exists. I can, however, believe that these three assholes had complete and total disregard for the welfare of the animals entrusted to their care.

:fume: :fume: :fume:

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote]According to the media reports, the caretaker confessed that because there are so many stray dogs at the shelter, they would inevitably eat each other if they were inadequately fed. The Environment Protection Department has been catching too many stray dogs recently, the caretaker complained.

The office further indicated that funds allocated to the shelter to feed the dogs and to put down animals when necessary are adequate, but noted that there were only three people on staff to take care of approximately 150 dogs.

The three caretakers have to feed 150 dogs and keep the shelter clean, which means that they are under a lot pressure, the office said.

[/quote]

WTF!

The people in charge there should be taken out and placed in a stockade.

How the fuck can the feeding of 150 dogs be too much work for three people.

When I was a kid I fed 150 pigs, 38 head of cattle, and 17 horses twice daily (every day) as well as a goat and numerous dogs and cats. That on top of cleaning stalls and the many other tasks that need done on any farm.

These people simply do not give a shit. I cannot believe that such incompetence exists. I can, however, believe that these three assholes had complete and total disregard for the welfare of the animals entrusted to their care.

:fume: :fume: :fume:[/quote]What he said, down to every punctuation.

bobepine

And another thing… maybe the government ought to make it a job qualifying requirement that the people they hire to place in charge of caring for these animals actually like animals.

[quote=“Tigerman”]And another thing… maybe the government ought to make it a job qualifying requirement that the people they hire to place in charge of caring for these animals actually like animals.[/quote]But is it their job to care for them, don’t they kill most of them anyway ? It would be hard for an animal lover. If someone wasn’t a cold heartless bastard when they started I think they would soon become one working there.

If the purpose of these place is to look after animals until the owners or new homes can be found for them you would be correct, but is that the purpose of these places ?

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Tigerman”]And another thing… maybe the government ought to make it a job qualifying requirement that the people they hire to place in charge of caring for these animals actually like animals.[/quote]But is it their job to care for them, don’t they kill most of them anyway ? It would be hard for an animal lover. If someone wasn’t a cold heartless bastard when they started I think they would soon become one working there.

If the purpose of these place is to look after animals until the owners or new homes can be found for them you would be correct, but is that the purpose of these places ?[/quote]

I don’t know what the purpose is, BFM… however, that shouldn’t matter. When I farmed, I took good care of our animals, even if they were going to end up on people’s dinner and breakfast tables eventually. The fact that the animals will be put down eventually is not reason or justification to allow them to exist in miserable and terrifying conditions while they are still living.

[quote=“Tigerman”]And another thing… maybe the government ought to make it a job qualifying requirement that the people they hire to place in charge of caring for these animals actually like animals.[/quote]You’re aiming high…but it would be great wouldn’t it.

I can see what BFM is saying too. I’ve seen videos of how animals are put to sleep here and that sure isn’t a job for an animal lover.

Requiring that the applicants simply own a heart should make sense.

bobepine

[posted on behalf of the photographer]

Dear Animal Friends and Lovers,

I am writing to you on behalf of the Alliance of Minority Life Rescue in Taiwan dedicated to the rights and welfare of stray dogs. They recently witnessed the treatment of stray dogs in the Taichung City Animal Pound, and we are urgently calling for international support and pressure to force not only the Taichung City government to change its relentless policy toward stray dogs but also the Taiwan central government to enhance its supervision of all public animal shelters and pounds.

On Sunday, March 5, 2006, the Alliance of Minority Life Rescue witnessed a horrific tragedy in the Taichung City Animal Pound that will not soon be forgotten. Over 20 puppies were confined in a large, stainless steel cage with no food or water. Several puppies were so hungry that they ate another puppy, which likely starved to death in the cage.

By the time the Alliance arrived, one puppy was eating a leg. Part of the skull remained on the cage floor. Outside the cage, several puppies were fighting over the rest of the carcass. Other dogs and puppies cowered, terrified, in a corner of the cage.

Meanwhile, nobody was in the shelter taking care of these dogs. Excrement was everywhere. A dead puppy had been left in a paper box on the ground. The air stank of rotten carcasses and animal waste.

Taichung City is notorious for its harsh policies toward stray dogs. In December 2005, Mayor Chi-Chiang

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Please send an e-mail voicing your dissent over the City

They are going to have a protest tomorrw (Thursday) in Taichung (Taizhong). I don’t know if anyone of you are with them as well?

Any information about when and where the protest will be?

I will defintely take time off work to attend…

:fume: :fume: :fume: :fume:

Get ready to do one in Puli as well – in an effort at damage control after the fiasco of the long-stay program for Japanese retirees and the complaints about the filthy conditions in Puli, one of the things they’ve promised is to “clean up” the stray dogs there. I don’t think they mean shampooing and nail-clipping.

straight from the horse’s (arse) mouth, the Taiwan “Government”… The Law pertaining to stray dog control states:

[quote]All animal keepers–including private pet owners, kennel owners, veterinarians, pet stores, pounds, shelters, and the like–must supply the animals in their care with sufficient quantities of food and water. Safe, sanitary and adequate living space with proper ventilation, lighting, and temperature must also be given. Animal keepers may not abuse, harass, torture, harm, or otherwise maltreat their animals.

Animal keepers must provide proper medical care to their animals in the event of injury or illness. Any treatment or operation performed must be carried out by a qualified, licensed veterinarian.

Pet owners who no longer desire the responsibility of caring for their pets are required to send them to a licensed shelter; they cannot simply abandon them.

Whenever animals are being transported, proper attention should be given to their food, water, excretion, environment, and safety. They should also be kept free from shock, pain, and harm during their journey.
The euthanasia of animals must be carried out in a humane fashion by a veterinarian or under a veterinarian’s supervision. Care should be taken to ensure that any pain felt by the animal is minimized. [/quote]

http://www.gio.gov.tw/info/98html/dogs.htm

that clearly means these sick f**ks who run the Taichung pound and the local government that oversees them are criminals… they should be arrested, charged and if it were up to me, locked up 20 to a cage with no food or water…

please can someone provide details of the planned protest in Taichung tomorrow 3/30… I would really like to attend that, but I can’t find any info…

“tomorrow” was March 16th, you’ve missed it.

oh… sigh

In my outrage I overlooked the post’s date… I may just make my way down to Mayor Hu’s office with a box of eggs and a headband tomorrow anyway…

thanks BFM…