2007 Rock Hall Inductees

WOW! I am getting old…

this years inductees into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame were prominent in my tape/record/CD player at one time or another.

R.E.M. (still my all-time favorite band. they couldn’t miss with their first 5 albums, prior to becoming a “pop sensation”. Document was their last great record, 1986, I think.)

Van Halen (anyone alive during the 80’s cranked these guys…1984 is an incredible album)

Patti Smith (her lyrics are haunting…she has had her music covered by countless bands)

Grandmaster Flash (ok ok, I have to admit, I was a nerdy white kid living in suburbia, walking around in parachute pants and doing my best to not break my neck while attempting to break dance…lol)

The Ronnettes were also inducted…this is the only group I can’t claim to know a lot about. They were a favorite of Phil Spector.

It’s kinda scary when you realize the stuff you were into when you were a kid is now considered classic… :astonished:

The Hall of Lame (just kidding…well, sort of)

I know of Patty Smith. Nothing comes to mind except punk rock. Wasn’t there also a Patti Smythe or something? Same person? Switch the “y” and"i"?

Grandmaster what? I think I’ve heard of that. Hmm. Breakdancing? Rock and roll?

Aren’t the Ronnettes some sort of Motown thing?

Van Halen. Dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee dee doo doo. Dada da dade Da Da Da.

R.E.M.? I must be old, too.

Grandmaster Flash? Gee, I didn’t know they had lowered the bar that much…

Sorry Hondu Grease, I know REM is huge, lots of fans and record sales, but personally, I found them to be one of the most overrated ‘super groups’ of the 80’s and 90’s.

super group?

check out what they did prior to 1987…they were underground/college radio pioneers, not record company tools. they gained success the right way, through hard work. Their first album, Murmur, came out in 1981 and IRS Records (their record company) was so skeptical of its success that they sold it at a cheaper price than the going rate…it ended up being the album of the year, according to Rolling Stone magazine.

if you go back and listen to Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, or Life’s Rich Pageant, you’ll hear a some great music driven by heart, not a record contract.

i’ll admit that their past 5 or 6 albums are a bit silly…they have evolved into a very different band than the early days, not to my liking.

i’m not sure what you mean by super group??

Not the same person. Patti Smith, I could write pages introducing Patti Smith and Lenny Kaye. ‘Radio Ethiopia’ is my favourite album, although ‘Horses’ is a close second. ‘Easter’ is possibly more accessible and poppy. Try and get hold of their first single ‘Piss Factory’, which isn’t on any album. Her new stuff is much more lyrical and darker, not as '70s rock, obviously.

Wonderful wonderful stuff.

super group?

check out what they did prior to 1987…they were underground/college radio pioneers, not record company tools. they gained success the right way, through hard work. Their first album, Murmur, came out in 1981 and IRS Records (their record company) was so skeptical of its success that they sold it at a cheaper price than the going rate…it ended up being the album of the year, according to Rolling Stone magazine.

if you go back and listen to Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, or Life’s Rich Pageant, you’ll hear a some great music driven by heart, not a record contract.

i’ll admit that their past 5 or 6 albums are a bit silly…they have evolved into a very different band than the early days, not to my liking.

i’m not sure what you mean by super group??[/quote]

I guess ‘super group’ isn’t exactly the right term…REM is one of the last big rock groups to stay together long enough to put out many albums, to have fairly a extensive catalog of albums to their name. They are a dying breed. That’s all I was talking about.

I did a bit of a net search and discovered that ‘supergroup’ has an entirely different meaning.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergroup

I am pretty familiar with REM’s music, but it’s perhaps just a bit too mainstream for my tastes, even their earliest stuff.

I know lots of people would disagree, but I would attach the same ‘very overrated’ label to a band like U2 as well. Except for a few songs after the Under A Blood Red Sky album, they kind of suck, IMO. Some of their latest stuff is downright terrible. Again, I guess it’s all subjective.

I thought this bit on the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame from Wikipedia was kind of interesting.

Anyone looking at the complete list of inductees is going to be able to pick out more than a few names they think are not nearly deserving of being there. Of course, we’ll all want to put a few of our own choices in there too.

[quote]Criticism

The main criticism is that the induction process is controlled by a few individuals, such as founder Jann Wenner, former foundation director Suzan Evans, and writer Dave Marsh, reflecting their tastes rather than the views of the rock world as a whole. A former member of the nominations board once said:

At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist ... I saw how certain pioneering artists of the 50s and early 60s were shunned because there needed to be more name power on the list, resulting in 70s superstars getting in before the people who made it possible for them. Some of those pioneers still aren't in today — but Queen is.[1]

Petitions with tens of thousands of signatures were also being ignored and some groups that were signed with certain labels or companies or were affiliated with various committee members have even been put up for nomination with no discussion at all.[1]

There are also very few progressive rock, hard rock or heavy metal bands in the hall. To date, the only progressive rock artists inducted have been Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Traffic, and Frank Zappa; the only hard rock bands that have been inducted are Led Zeppelin in 1995, Aerosmith and Queen in 2001, AC/DC in 2003, Black Sabbath in 2006, and Van Halen in 2007.

After the 2007 nominations were announced, it was immediately noticed that there were only 9 nominees. Up until that year, the fewest nominees there had ever been in one year was 13. The Rock Hall also officially announced that 5 of those 9 would be inducted. This has led to the belief that the low number of nominees is due to the nominations committee trying to muscle the voters into inducting a few certain candidates.[/quote]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductees_ … ll_of_Fame

Next, they’ll be inducting this guy: