2007 Summer Reading List

Okay, so summer’s almost here. And I’ve got some time(read:I’m taking public transportation every freckin’ where :fume:) so I’m interested in having a good list for the summer to read. Audiobooks would be good to be included.

Here’s my kick off:

The Namesake- By Jhumpa Lahiri

Smilla’s Sense of Snow - by Peter Hoeg
In hot summer, it good to read a mystery set in icy-cold northern land.

Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts.

Don’t miss your stop, though. It’s a real page turner.

The new Harry Potter.

‘Suite Francaise’ Irene Nemirovsky.

J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Children of Hurin.

My signture is also a good si-fi, it is written by Samuel R. Delany.

I just finished reading Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams.

A lot of fun!

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. I think it was an Oprah’s book club selection :wink:

Seriously, though - The Undercover Economist - great fun learning about why your Mocha costs so much.
The Professor and the Madman - a little long, but interesting true story of how the Oxford English dictionary was written (it’s more interesting than it sounds, I promise)
The Kite Runner, if you haven’t read it already.
The Life of Pi if you haven’t already read that one too.
Last Chance to See, by Douglas Adams. Its aged quite well, and the parts about China are great listening

ryu murakami

truth and reality
otto rank

Gitanjali, Rabindranath Tagore.
All the Paul Valery and Haruki Murakami I can get my hands on.

I have lots.

Sweeeet. :slight_smile: Bribe ya for some time with them?
I’ve got Norwegian Wood waiting for me, and just got through A Wild Sheep Chase, and After the Quake.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Sweeeet. :slight_smile: Bribe ya for some time with them?
I’ve got Norwegian Wood waiting for me, and just got through A Wild Sheep Chase, and After the Quake.[/quote]

Well, after WSC,you need to do Dance Dance Dance. :smiley:

[quote=“Jaboney”]Sweeeet. :slight_smile: Bribe ya for some time with them?
I’ve got Norwegian Wood waiting for me, and just got through A Wild Sheep Chase, and After the Quake.[/quote]

I listened to ‘Norwegian Wood’ audiobook and I was disturbed!

I couldn’t finished the book.

The story is good, but I can’t bear that I was drew into the characters world. So sad, so mad.

Long? It’s only about 250 pages.

I would recommend instead the substantially longer and more detailed work Caught in the Web of Words: James Murray and the Oxford English Dictionary, which captures the heartbreak and frustration of lonely, largely unappreciated scholarship better than any other book I’ve read. It’s a much better work than The Professor and the Madman, though both are worth reading.

I’m going back to the States in a couple of months and plan to pick up the new Pynchon then. God only knows how long it will take to get through that, though.

Long? It’s only about 250 pages.[/quote]

Sorry about that - I meant it was a little long-winded.

What’s the new Pynchon?

Mindboggling for sure.

I loved V and Vineland.

I need another crack at Gravity’s Rainbow.

Long? It’s only about 250 pages.[/quote]

Sorry about that - I meant it was a little long-winded.[/quote]
Yeah, it did seem that way a bit to me. Sort-of like a New Yorker article that had gotten stretched beyond its limits. Dava Sobel’s books (Longitude, Galileo’s Daughter) strike me much the same way. But I read them anyway because I like the topics. :idunno:

Against the Day

JD, yes, you should try Gravity’s Rainbow again. It’s terrific. Just don’t try to read it in a mass-market format; get a trade edition or you eyes could suffer from that many pages in tiny print.

Long? It’s only about 250 pages.

I would recommend instead the substantially longer and more detailed work Caught in the Web of Words: James Murray and the Oxford English Dictionary, which captures the heartbreak and frustration of lonely, largely unappreciated scholarship better than any other book I’ve read. It’s a much better work than The Professor and the Madman, though both are worth reading.[/quote]

Yes! I’m on the same page with you CLW.
Both books caused me to dig deep and get the complete OED (on CDROM). Best purchase I’ve ever made.

[quote=“kate.lin”]I just finished reading Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams.

A lot of fun![/quote]

I agree but I couldn’t, just couldn’t get into Long dark tea time of the soul. It’s the only thing Douglas published that I haven’t finished. I’ll read it when I am more mature.

Murakami, in my humble opinion, is yet to better ‘wind-up bird chronicles.’

Please please please for the love of everything read ‘The book of the dun cow,’ by Walter Wangerin. The sell it in eslite. It is fabulous in every way possible. Fabulous.

http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_wangerin_bookoftheduncow.html

If anyone has read it and wants to discuss it, please send me a pm.