2007 Summer Reading List

[quote=“TomHill”]
Please please please for the love of everything read ‘The book of the dun cow,’ by Walter Wangerin. The sell it in eslite. It is fabulous in every way possible. Fabulous.
http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_wangerin_bookoftheduncow.html
If anyone has read it and wants to discuss it, please send me a pm.[/quote]

People should never judge a book by its cover.
Last year, I browsed it in Page One, I checked it cover.
mh…a really big yellow rooster, looks funny, feels like Animal Farm
I put it back because I had massed out my book-shopping budget.
It seems the book is so good that I shouldn’t give it up.

I am reading Stefan Zweig’s ‘The World of Yesterday’, but I haven’t had a clear thought or feeling to introduce it to here, yet.

Even over Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World? :smiley:

Personally I liked South of the Border, West of the Sun quite a lot. Heart wrenching malaise on a scale not seen since Norwegian Wood (which had me in tears and BEGGING the author to have something happy occur in the main character’s life. Now THAT’S a novel!) but smoother.

I just read Kafka on the Shore. Back to weirdness. It was ok.

Even over Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World? :smiley:

Personally I liked South of the Border, West of the Sun quite a lot. Heart wrenching malaise on a scale not seen since Norwegian Wood (which had me in tears and BEGGING the author to have something happy occur in the main character’s life. Now THAT’S a novel!) but smoother.

I just read Kafka on the Shore. Back to weirdness. It was ok.[/quote]

Ironically you should have read ‘The Castle,’ instead which I believe eclipses Hard Boiled Wonderland.

Norwegian Wood reminds me of Rebecca. All mouth, no trousers.

I hope those are better. There is nothing worse than reading a lesser book by an author you have begun to respect. It is like anything after Atonement by Ian McEwan.
One can understand why Hemmingway pulled the trigger.

Just finished 69 by ryu murakami…VERY nicely done.

I’m now reading ‘teacher man,’ by Frank McCourt.
He wrote Angela’s ashes.