2008 USA Democratic Party Convention in Denver, Colorado

Hillary speaking tonight. Going to watch this one. This is her chance to send a message to her supporters to not let McCain sow dissension between them and Obama.

It must be a difficult spot for her to be in. On the one hand thinking “Please, PLEASE let my supporters vote for McCain…”, while at the same time knowing that if she betrays too much of that sentiment in any public word or manner or facial expression … the very slim chance that she may retain of winning on an I-Told-You-So message in 2012 will become vanishingly small. She’s got to walk the razor’s edge. I think her skills behind a podium have improved dramatically over the last year or so, though. I have a feeling she will pull it off.

It must be a difficult spot for her to be in. On the one hand thinking “Please, PLEASE let my supporters vote for McCain…”, while at the same time knowing that if she betrays too much of that sentiment in any public word or manner or facial expression … the very slim chance that she may retain of winning on an I-Told-You-So message in 2012 will become vanishingly small. She’s got to walk the razor’s edge. I think her skills behind a podium have improved dramatically over the last year or so, though. I have a feeling she will pull it off.[/quote]
Hobbes, I just can’t believe that fairy tale. I know that Republicans really really really wish it were true. It usually works for them to just keep pretending it is true until everyone starts believing it. I hope Hill puts on a good show and lays these fantasies to rest, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

2008 Democratic National Convention: Remarks as prepared for delivery by Jim Leach, Former Republican Member of the U.S. House of Representatives, 1st District, Iowa

[quote]As a Republican, I stand before you with deep respect for the history and traditions of my political party. But it is clear to all Americans that something is out of kilter in our great republic. In less than a decade America’s political and economic standing in the world has been diminished. . . .

The party that once emphasized individual rights has gravitated in recent years toward regulating values. The party of military responsibility has taken us to war with a country that did not attack us. The party that formerly led the world in arms control has moved to undercut treaties crucial to the defense of the earth. The party that prides itself on conservation has abdicated its responsibilities in the face of global warming. And the party historically anchored in fiscal restraint has nearly doubled the national debt, squandering our precious resources in an undisciplined and unprecedented effort to finance a war with tax cuts. . . .[/quote]

The Neoconservative Party, the party of lies, war-mongering and institutionalized hate, deserves an unprincipled camp follower like Hillary Clinton. Let her leave. There are plenty of principled people crossing in the other direction to take her place.

[quote] Denver is abuzz this week with die-hard Clinton supporters planning protests, rallies, and celebrations that will culminate with a march on Tuesday, the 88th anniversary of the day the 19th Amendment granted women voting rights.

Abuzz? Just how abuzz is it?

At a restaurant on the outskirts of Denver Sunday night, some 60 women gathered at a PUMA PAC-sponsored screening of a documentary called "The Audacity of Democracy." In interviews beforehand, many said they would defy Clinton’s calls for party unity.

[/quote]

Meanwhile, Chris Matthews is raving hysterically about being at “Ground Zero” at a demo with about a hundred PUMAs.

Entirely media-generated wank- then tune into the Repub. Convention and watch them totally ignore thousands of Ron Paul supporters.

That midget Kucinich just reminded we why Democrats are insane… Here’s a list of what he wants “guaranteed” to all Americans: free health care, retirement benefits, home ownership, maximum wages, free college education, free childcare for stupid teenage mothers, free this, free that…

In other words, no one should have to work for anything. A free ride through life should be guaranteed to all. Rather than learn why hard work is important, rather than learn how to guarantee you’re own security in life, rather than learn to be responsible with your own spending… go do whatever you want and the government will guarantee that you never need anything.

Comfort… that’s what life is all about.

Geezus god… A man who never put on a uniform is telling people that the government that has protected him and other Americans for two centuries owes him and the other people who’ve never served the country more, more, more…

Excuse me while I go stop the blood that’s running out of my ears right now.

[quote=“the_average_white_man”]That midget Kucinich just reminded we why Democrats are insane… Here’s a list of what he wants “guaranteed” to all Americans: free health care, retirement benefits, home ownership, maximum wages, free college education, free childcare for stupid teenage mothers, free this, free that…

In other words, no one should have to work for anything. A free ride through life should be guaranteed to all. Rather than learn why hard work is important, rather than learn how to guarantee you’re own security in life, rather than learn to be responsible with your own spending… go do whatever you want and the government will guarantee that you never need anything.

Geezus god… A man who never put on a uniform is telling people that the government that has protected him and other Americans for two centuries owes him and the other people who’ve never served the country more, more, more…

Excuse me while I go stop the blood that’s running out of my ears right now.[/quote]
First you make up stuff about what the guy stands for, and then complain about it 'til your ears bleed. But it feels good I guess, or else people wouldn’t do it so much.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“the_average_white_man”]That midget Kucinich just reminded we why Democrats are insane… Here’s a list of what he wants “guaranteed” to all Americans: free health care, retirement benefits, home ownership, maximum wages, free college education, free childcare for stupid teenage mothers, free this, free that…

Excuse me while I go stop the blood that’s running out of my ears right now.[/quote]
First you make up stuff about what the guy stands for, and then complain about it 'til your ears bleed. But it feels good I guess, or else people wouldn’t do it so much.[/quote]

Make it up? I think that’s a pretty fair representation of what that loudmouth was shouting as he exited stage left… He would have gone on had he not gotten the hook.

Woe is me. Woe is us. Help me, help me, help me… And that’s another fair interpretation of his message, and the message of the people poisoning the air of a fine city like Denver.

Pity Denver…

I have to agree with TAWM here. When Democrats let their hair down and start talking nuts and bolts I tend to hear the same arguments: ‘We need to take sixty percent of your income so Jerry Springer’s audience doesn’t have to worry about food, health care, education and having a home to go back to after the show’s over.’

Maybe I’m hearing things too but there you go. Chalk it up to bad experiences with Democrats in power.

I admit that the Republican nuts and bolts arguments isn’t much better: ‘We need you to work a double shift at WalMart – without adequate health care coverage, of course – because Upper Carpathia looked cross-eyed at us last week and we need lots more bombs now to bomb them back into the Stone Age.’

Maybe these two dinosaurs need to be put out to pasture at this point, allowing us to reset our socio-political thinking and come up with some fresh, creative approaches for solving these fundamental societal problems.

I’m hoping that’s what Barack Obama is bringing to the table but that’s probably wishful thinking.

[quote=“spook”]I have to agree with TAWM here. When Democrats let their hair down and start talking nuts and bolts I tend to hear the same arguments: ‘We need to take sixty percent of your income so Jerry Springer’s audience doesn’t have to worry about food, health care, education and having a home to go back to after the show’s over.’

Maybe I’m hearing things too but there you go. Chalk it up to bad experiences with Democrats in power.

I admit that the Republican nuts and bolts arguments isn’t much better: ‘We need you to work a double shift at WalMart – without adequate health care coverage, of course – because Upper Carpathia looked cross-eyed at us last week and we need lots more bombs now to bomb them back into the Stone Age.’

Maybe these two dinosaurs need to be put out to pasture at this point, allowing us to reset our socio-political thinking and come up with some fresh, creative approaches for solving these fundamental societal problems.

I’m hoping that’s what Barack Obama is bringing to the table but that’s probably wishful thinking.[/quote]

I would never hold up the Republican Party as a bastion of all that is good and pure, but the bottom line is the essential ethic at the core of the party. For the Republicans that is personal reponsibility and working to secure your own future. For the Democrats that is collective responsibility and government assurances that cover for people’s personal shortcomings.

The actors on the stage might not always play their parts to the best of their abilities, but in the end it comes down not to the people elected (because like all other people they eventually dry up and fade away, or get voted out of office) but to the core of what you as an indivdual believe in.

I hear Kucinich and those others in Denver, and I realize that no matter how many mistakes one wants to chalk up to the Bush Administration, that’s just one chapter in the book. Nations have survived worse. Christ, if the Germans can rebound from Hitler, then the U.S. can overcome anything, even Jimmy Carter. (I’m a Bush guy, so don’t go accusing me of drawing personal parallels between Bush and Hitler. I’m using an extreme to make a point.)

I’m down with spook’s thoughts on this one…

Where did you get that from? The Obama files? I swear the way you bash and follow Obama I would think you have a secret love-crush on him and going to vote for him.

Go on Cowboy, getty up and vote for da Brotha :laughing:

Is it Bill Clinton’s baby…? I’d say the odds were even money…

[quote=“spook”]

I’m hoping that’s what Barack Obama is bringing to the table but that’s probably wishful thinking.[/quote]

Oh very much so. Obama has never really taken a strong stance on any type of issue, look at his record.

As for Hillary, I’ve been watching CNN for hours and any other coverage on the DNC. Never in my life have I followed an election like this one, unless you count Regan VS Carter, and I was too young to understand the nuances.

People, it’s gonna get nasty, and it’s going to boil down to the Superdelegates, who don’t declare until they have roll call at the DNC. And remember many of these politicians are up for election next year in their states…Ohhh wee, ohhh wee, is it gonna get nasty at the DNC. :astonished:

ALERT

Hillary Clinton is about to go on 9:15 pm CST. Get to your computers or TV…

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Did Michelle announce that she is pregnant?[/quote]Where did you get that from? The Obama files? I swear the way you bash and follow Obama I would think you have a secret love-crush on him and going to vote for him.
Go on Cowboy, getty up and vote for da Brotha :laughing:[/quote]
Well Michelle dissed all feminism with her speech so thats a plus for her.

Hey…I thought she looked a bit padded in the underbelly. Those long bus rides on the campaign trail can get lonely. Back of the bus…long rides…a little sumthin sumthin to make the time go bye…could be.

They still come across as elitists. The populace sees that.
Look at their circle of friends…people don’t like what they are seeing. (people = the average American. Which most on here look down on and consider base and low)
But Michelle looked good and behaved herself. Shes’ been toned down for the big show. She did just give a ‘Martha Stewarts America’ speech though. Bland & blaah.

[quote=“Namahottie”]ALERT

Hillary Clinton is about to go on 9:15 pm CST. Get to your computers or TV…[/quote]

Why? Is she about to one-up Jesus with a new Sermon on the Mount? It’s the most hyped non-event of the political season. She’s done, over, through… and she’s taking her husband with her.

Finally.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Did Michelle announce that she is pregnant?[/quote]Where did you get that from? The Obama files? I swear the way you bash and follow Obama I would think you have a secret love-crush on him and going to vote for him.
Go on Cowboy, getty up and vote for da Brotha :laughing:[/quote]
Well Michelle dissed all feminism with her speech so thats a plus for her.

Hey…I thought she looked a bit padded in the underbelly. Those long bus rides on the campaign trail can get lonely. Back of the bus…long rides…a little sumthin sumthin to make the time go bye…could be.

They still come across as elitists. The populace sees that.
Look at their circle of friends…people don’t like what they are seeing. (people = the average American. Which most on here look down on and consider base and low)
But Michelle looked good and behaved herself. Shes’ been toned down for the big show. She did just give a ‘Martha Stewarts America’ speech though. Bland & blaah.[/quote]

Oh course they are elite. Are you familar with the “Talented Ten” therory? Hell, I’m bourgeoisie, :laughing: but being that they are from Chicago and from the area they are from, they are capital “B” bourgeoisie.

Here’s a great article to “get” it : Valerie Jarrett: Obama’s right hand woman

[quote]Everybody is learning that she has the ear of the man who, according to recent polls, has a better-than-even shot at becoming the most powerful person in the world. Perhaps that’s why it is hard to find anyone willing to publicly make even a constructive criticism of Jarrett. The closest on-the-record critique came from the typically independent Toni Preckwinkle, alderman of the 4th Ward. "We’ve had our differences of opinion,’’ Preckwinkle told me, carefully choosing her words. "She’s intensely loyal to the mayor. I don’t think anyone would describe me in that way.’’

Still, even Preckwinkle couched her remarks about Jarrett in the kind of glowing language used by everyone from Rev. Jesse Jackson and low-income housing advocate and lawyer Richard Wheelock to longtime civil rights activist and scholar Timuel Black and one of Jarrett’s best friends, Linda Johnson Rice, publisher of Ebony magazine: "loyal,’’ "smart,’’ "savvy,’’ "special.’’

But one Chicago businessman-"strictly off the record’’-told me he would add "snooty’’ to that list.

"She’s personally difficult to approach,’’ he said. "She’s a business person who travels in rarefied circles. She’s very selective about who she will even talk to. She’s one of those people who wear their snootiness like a badge of honor.’’[/quote]

I would never, unless I had something to offer, be able to gain audience with the Obama’s or any of their circle. The funny thing is, IMO, is that quiet a few African-Americans, middle-class, and especially low-class are so happy for him, and the viable chance to put an African-American in office, but I can guarantee, that lower class, blacks will not benefit at all from him being in office, in fact, there could be more damage.

Oh god, the songs used for Hillary’s video :unamused:

They are really trying to have a rally, aren’t they…

[quote=“Dennis the Midget”]“Every day we get the color orange while the oil companies, the insurance companies, the speculators, the war contractors get the color green. Wake up, America.

“This is not a call for you to take a new direction from right to left; this is a call for you to go from down to up.

“Up with peace!” Kucinich yelled to approving roars. “Up with prosperity! Up with education! Up with Democrats![/quote]
I haven’t got to see it yet, but it sounds great.

Why is it that Bill Clinton was president during years of peace and prosperity? (Credit to Newt?) More people had jobs, and the budget was balanced? (Credit to Ronnie?) Then Bush took over and everything went in the shitter? (Blame it on Bill?)

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“Dennis the Midget”]“Every day we get the color orange while the oil companies, the insurance companies, the speculators, the war contractors get the color green. Wake up, America.

“This is not a call for you to take a new direction from right to left; this is a call for you to go from down to up.

“Up with peace!” Kucinich yelled to approving roars. “Up with prosperity! Up with education! Up with Democrats![/quote]
I haven’t got to see it yet, but it sounds great.

Why is it that Bill Clinton was president during years of peace and prosperity? (Credit to Newt?) More people had jobs, and the budget was balanced? (Credit to Ronnie?) Then Bush took over and everything went in the shitter? (Blame it on Bill?)[/quote]

Some people don’t have it in them to take over the reigns. Look a Bush’s track record, from his dealings in oil, to his state government, he just didn’t have it. His father on the other hand wasn’t all that bad, at least cheese didn’t cost $5.00 and we got out a war as fast as a trick gets out of a ho…