2009 Ig Nobel awards

Ig Nobels are awarded annually for unlikely and off-beat science, and are sponsored by the Annals of Improbable Research

here’s one example for this year:

[quote]Donald Unger, an allergist in Thousand Oaks, California, earned the medicine prize for addressing another timeless question: does cracking knuckles really cause arthritis, as his mother warned him it would? As a child, he naturally thought his mother omniscient, but as a teenager he learned about science and started questioning received wisdom of this kind.

To resolve the issue Unger embarked on a long-term controlled experiment, and began cracking the knuckles on his left hand twice a day, but not those on his right (Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol 41, p 949). He has done so for more than 60 years, and never suffered arthritis in either hand. “Mother, you were wrong,” he says, looking heavenwards. What he now wants to know is: “Was it really necessary for me to eat my broccoli?”[/quote]

for more such gems, read this New Scientist piece

Wonderful… My mother still warns me of this impeding doom I will experience due to my Knuckle-cracking habits. haha