2010 National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in Taiwan

It’s time again for National Novel Writing Month. Yea! I’ve been the region’s moderator for a few years now, and this year we’re going to start having official events and going to offer more support to writers in Taiwan. Hopefully we’ll also have some swag and offers on discounted printing. Our first event is scheduled for October 31 in Taipei and in Taichung, but the details are not confirmed.

If anyone is interested in doing NaNoWriMo, feel free to PM me.

This year I’m in a bit of a cupcake mood, so I think I’ll have cupcakes be a central theme. Maybe vampires, too. :+)

Divea and those who also participated last year, will you be doing it this year as well?

Don’t know what NaNoWriMo is? The idea is to write a 50,000-word work of fiction during the month of November. (Writing non-fiction is an option, but it’s a near impossible feat due to research and write in the span of a month.) You can write in English, German, Chinese, or whatever other language you want. http://www.nanowrimo.org/

I always want to do NaNoWriMo but I am such a bad writer that I give up within a day :raspberry: Haven’t got any good ideas or way to express them! Though last week I DID have a brilliant idea and brilliant plot, I thought of it shortly before falling asleep so I do not remember it at all :frowning: Just remember I was excited about it

Come to the kick off party and the other get-togethers and we’ll call it even. The first year can be your practice year. Next year you can attempt the novel. Or, you could write about a person who had no great story ideas and just walked around the city doing nothing.

I entered one of these in Vancouver 20 years back but my application was disqualified for some technical reason. Have always wanted to do another but not this year me thinks. I just finished writing 50,000 words a month - for each of the past 5 months. :laughing:

You’ll never be disqualified from NaNo, MM!

Haha. Totally understand. Though, for NaNo you can write whatever you want – not what your editor wants! :+)

Just a quick update: NaNo Taiwan is getting into full swing. There are about 280 registered writers for Taiwan, which is more than double from last year. In the last month alone, participants have donated USD$125 – this doesn’t sound like much, but many areas around the world haven’t donated anything to the project. UP Taiwan!

My Taiwanese co-leader and I are putting together a blog with a Chinese translation of the details so we can recruit Taiwanese writers. If you have any local friends or family members who are aspiring writers, point them in my direction!

Also, I’m on the look out for Taiwan-based designers and photographers to work on a small book cover project. Amateurs welcome!

This is going to be a great NaNo Taiwan year; I can feel it already!

I’m just giddy: In just the past two hours, twenty more people have signed up. If you are registering, please make your way to the forum. Introduce yourself and let me know if you can come to one of the Oct 31 events.

:+)

Also, the NaNo Taiwan website is up! You can find it at “http://nano-taiwan.blogspot.com”. It is a work in progress, and the Chinese will be posted over the next few days and throughout the month.

How many pages is 50000 words, about?

I do not like big ones, so for me it is not so many.

I do not have much to say, so I will just make a pam phlet.:neutral:

About 175 US letter-sized pages. It’s doable.

About 175 US letter-sized pages. It’s doable.[/quote]

Wow! I couldn’t write 175 pages in a year.

To divea and others who have done this. . . :notworthy:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]

Wow! I couldn’t write 175 pages in a year.

To divea and others who have done this. . . :notworthy:[/quote]
Yeah, it’s a heck of a thing to do in one month. RESPECT! :bow:

I’d give it a go, but I’m burned out from a hectic schedule this month.

Signing up now- stoked! I did it in 2007 and BARELY scraped by on the last day. The writing sucked though :wink:
Stoked to meet some other writers in taiwan.

Where do I click on the site to find out where the meetings are?

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]Signing up now- stoked! I did it in 2007 and BARELY scraped by on the last day. The writing sucked though :wink:
Stoked to meet some other writers in Taiwan.
[/quote]

Can’t wait to meet you!
-jenny