2010 weiya thread

Woohoo! Sitting here now w 1800 colleagues for 4.5 hours of fun. :wink:

My adult student who works as a surgeon by day was telling me about how he is looking forward to this years weiya. Apparently, every year the hospital gets a bunch of “spicy girls” (his words) and has them dress up as nurses.

Doesn’t sound too bad like. I can think of worse weiya events.

Men dressed as women here. Sexy though. Of course it’s all in Chinese, too and I have no idea what they’re saying.

[quote=“Funk500”]My adult student who works as a surgeon by day was telling me about how he is looking forward to this years weiya. Apparently, every year the hospital gets a bunch of “spicy girls” (his words) and has them dress up as nurses.

Doesn’t sound too bad like. I can think of worse weiya events.[/quote]

My English boss once dressed up in kilt and sang ‘Donald, where’s yer troosers?’ while the local staff bayed and took photos and the the furriners wept quietly in their shame. I won a heater in the raffle that caused 20 000Nt’s worth of electrical damage to my apartment. There was a ‘western and Asian buffet’. That was the last time. I didn’t care if it was impolitic.

Foul, absolutely foul. Weiya, egg yolk mooncakes, and chicken testicles account for 90% of my bad memories of the 'wan!

We had to sing a KTV song in order to get our red envelope ( :frowning: )

Hawaii 5-0 was on the list. Signed up for that one. Awesome! No lyrics. Just pretended to be surfing waves for the full duration of the song. Only them foreigner folks at the drinking table thought it was funny.

thank goodness it wasn’t the Lil’ Wayne version of hawaii 5.0 …I can marry bad bch with tha psy wanna f***k em’ How can you like rap and try to defend lyrics like that

warning: Parental advisory: Explicit lyrics. Not suitable for weiya functions

Lil’ Wayne hawaii 5.0 youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8T2UTg9Qo

people actually LIKE modern rap? :vomit:

best prize i never got at a weiya was a VW Polo.

[quote=“urodacus”]people actually LIKE modern rap? :vomit:

best prize i never got at a weiya was a VW Polo.[/quote]

You never listen to Dr. Octagon? Or is that no longer modern?

We’ve always had our Wei Ya at some resort hotel. Always seemed like the Christmas party Taiwanese style.

I once won a business class ticket to Europe, but never used it since I’d have to buy the other 4 tickets. Any time I won any sums of money I had to donate it…plus more money out of my pocket…:aiyo:

At the first weiya when I joined my present company they raffled off two Toyota Wishs, a few big screen tvs, a whole bunch of notebook computers and other cool stuff, and myriad cell phones and the like.

Now, they keep it simple. NT300K for first prize, NT200K for second, and NT100K to 20 people. Seems like good enough odds, but not when you peer out over the vast hall full of people. I kept repeating my name over and over in my head as they pulled the tickets, figuring somehow that would send a message for them to pull my ticket, but apparently it failed because they gave them to other people. I did get, along with everyone else, a 7/11 iCash card worth NT600 and an LED wand that I’ll give to my daughter. And of course there’s the wine. Fortunately, most Taiwanren don’t drink more than a token sip, so us foreigners are able to polish off most of the bottles on our table, which helps (I saw irishstu over at his table doing the same).

Gawd, a mate of mine, now also in HK and I worked for one of Taiwan’s biggest brokerages. The wei ya for employees north of Hsinchu meant there were thousands of us crammed into some decaying long past it’s hey day hotel function room. On each table for 8 people was one bottle of Hsiaohsing wine, some dried salty plums and one bottle of Taiwan Beer.

We did our best with the meagre provisions, managing to steal more of that crap Hsiaohsing wine junk (you have to add the salty plums and even then it’s not really drinkable) and getting something approximating a buzz. Halfway through the night a friend called from the TSMC wei ya, where they were handing out top of the line cars, and we back at our do we were breathlessly offered gaoji tushiji (top line toasters)! That’s become a running joke for us both since, so I guess it wasn’t all bad.

Last year’s office Chrissie party I won a weekend for two to Singapore. Mind you, I sort of complained about that too. I mean of all the places in the region, if you’re living in HK, do you really want to go to bloody Singapore?

HG

I can’t really complain about the nine or so wei-yas I have been to, all with my current employer. SOP on the alcoholic beverages side is drink-as-much-as-you-can Taiwan Pie Jiu, and a bottle of Johnny Walker and an Australian red and white per table. Not bad.

Who cares about the prizes (RT Mart vouchers, color printers, coffee machines, and the likes) if you can get thoroughly sloshed with the CEO? It’s all about networking. :smiley:

Oh, and the food? We-ya food is wei-ya food. No surprises there.

Not the company I work for. My company always chooses good buffet-style restaurants, so we can choose what we want to eat instead of suffering through sea cucumber stew followed by fatty pick knuckle followed by other courses of gawdawful, MSG-laden crap.

2 years ago we went to Shin Yeh Japanese buffet. Before that it was the international buffet at the Sheraton. This year it’ll be the Thai buffet on 6th floor of Eslite.

No song-and-dance, no endless speeches, no prize drawings for gift vouchers, no other boring on-the-side programs. Just food and conversation.

Ours was cancelled. TG. :banana: :yay: :dance: :nyah:

Geez, I’ve got a hangover. Who’s idea was it to have our Weiya on a Sunday evening anyway?

The guy sitting beside me won NT$100,000. Good for him.

There’s still a chance to win a prize today, as our company has a raffle with smaller prizes and just posts the winners’ list. No need to go up on stage and embarrass yourself.

So did you help a few other tables polish off their booze, eh, Stu?

One of the advantages of my current working arrangement is that I’m no longer called on to attend any weiya (so don’t need to come up with the excuses that I usually used to absent myself from them in the past).