2012 Democratic National Convention

How are the Demi-crats doing? Did they give the farm away? How many Arabs are in the audience?

[quote]GOP commentator Alex Castellanos said on CNN that Clinton’s speech may have sealed Obama’s reelection.
“Lock the doors, you don’t have to come back tomorrow. This convention is done. This will be the moment that probably reelected Barack Obama,” he said.[/quote]

Clinton demolished last week’s RNC convention and made the Republicans look selfish, silly, and sometimes just plain dumb. No one can do that like Clinton.

I don’t think it sealed the deal, though…I’m pretty sure Romney will seal it in the debates when he is in the same room with Obama. He’s gonna get schooled.

So far, a series of excellent speeches filled with truth and butt-kicking.

This includes Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick’s speech, in which he said, to resounding applause, “It is time for Democrats to grow a backbone.” Hell yeah! :bravo:

Yep, the Big Dog howled tonight.

Anybody else think it’s funny that in 2012 it’s the Republicans who are running on what a great president Bill Clinton was?

[quote=“MikeN”]Yep, the Big Dog howled tonight.

Anybody else think it’s funny that in 2012 it’s the Republicans who are running on what a great president Bill Clinton was?[/quote]
I don’t know if I would say funny…stupid, perhaps?

They have spent a lot of energy building up Clinton while he was doing commercials that support Obama in pretty strong terms, and that speech tonight was just about the strongest endorsement I’ve ever heard for any candidate. So they have essentially made a case…against themselves. It’s not like they can come back and say, “Yeah, but Clinton used to hate him.” How many videos are there of Gingrich calling Romney a liar, Huckabee ridiculing him, and Santorum saying he is the worst possible candidate…plus much more! They dug themselves deep.

[quote=“MikeN”]Yep, the Big Dog howled tonight.

Anybody else think it’s funny that in 2012 it’s the Republicans who are running on what a great president Bill Clinton was?[/quote]

but aren’t the Republican message that Clinton’s greatness comes after he was willing to compromise and follow the Republican congress?

Compromise? Republicans wouldn’t dare use that word! That is the worst word ever, ever, ever!!! (covers ears and stomps feet)

:whistle:

Compromise? Republicans wouldn’t dare use that word! That is the worst word ever, ever, ever!!! (covers ears and stomps feet)

:whistle:[/quote]

The knights who say “Ni”. “Ni!”

Obama’s speech is boring as hell. :unamused: Share hope and faith? Shit, isn’t that what people supposedly did four years ago? You didn’t perform :laughing:

How in your view could he have done better? Specifically, what mistakes do you think Obama made?

I thought it was pretty good, shared responsibility, that government isn’t the cause or solution of all problems, that parents much teach proper values, students rights to education and the value that has for a society. Everyone has fundamental rights that shouldn’t be taken away from them. Government should be there to protect the people from exploitation rather than removing legislation that allows corporations to get rich. A very clear set of moral values, that was contrasted strongly with the republican vision. Fair play for all, not just the elite few.

The debates will be interesting, comparing the two platforms, what the Republicans are offering seems much less attractive, more of the same ideas that led to two wars and a near total collapse of the economy, going into this election with the same recipe for disaster only more so, I don’t think will cut it.

Yeah, pretty so-so. Oddly disjointed, jumping around without much builing-up to a point.

Not one of his better speeches, and far below Clinton’s

Possibly deliberate. Clinton spelled out Obama’s accomplishments and sold him as well as anyone could. If O gave a spellbinding speech that would be forgotten.

Possibly deliberate. Clinton spelled out Obama’s accomplishments and sold him as well as anyone could. If O gave a spellbinding speech that would be forgotten.[/quote]

Do you realise how utterly demented that sounds?

Possibly deliberate. Clinton spelled out Obama’s accomplishments and sold him as well as anyone could. If O gave a spellbinding speech that would be forgotten.[/quote]

Do you realise how utterly demented that sounds?[/quote]

:laughing: Why? Clinton nailed it. Everyone would have known that beforehand. These events are exceptionally well run and organized and we know O is a powerful speaker when he wants to be.

But I appreciate your candid judgment. :laughing:

Do you realise how utterly demented that sounds?[/quote]

:laughing: Why? Clinton nailed it. Everyone would have known that beforehand. These events are exceptionally well run and organized and we know O is a powerful speaker when he wants to be.

But I appreciate your candid judgment. :laughing:[/quote]

Obama is the one running for re-election so surely his speech is of much greater importance than those given by Lewinsky’s former boyfriend or any other speakers. Wouldn’t a top-notch Obama speech rev up the troops more? When the Democrat volunteers are out on the streets, making calls and such, they’ll be doing it for the O, not the lecherous charmer from Little Rock.
I was listening to some NPR political commentary pre-Clinton speech, and one of the possible dangers they highlighted was that Clinton’s speech would eclipse Obama’s.

[quote=“almas john”]…Obama is the one running for re-election so surely his speech is of much greater importance than those given by Lewinsky’s former boyfriend or any other speakers. Wouldn’t a top-notch Obama speech rev up the troops more? When the Democrat volunteers are out on the streets, making calls and such, they’ll be doing it for the O, not the lecherous charmer from Little Rock.
I was listening to some NPR political commentary pre-Clinton speech, and one of the possible dangers they highlighted was that Clinton’s speech would eclipse Obama’s.[/quote]

Clinton is immensely popular in the US and also has a record of job creation and debt reduction that demands he be taken seriously. If you’ve watched him speak over the past 3 years you’ll also know that he has been able to make the case for what Obama is doing much better than Obama. This has been noted many times, even by Obama who has admitted he has done a poor job of explaining what he has done to regular people.

Clinton is a master at making policy understandable to people and at creating compelling narratives around that policy. Obama is not.

So what is needed at this point? Obama to stir up the base with first rate rhetoric or someone with credibility with the people to explain just what he has done in a way that is understandable and even stirring. Clinton did that. His endorsement meant more than a good speech by O who will have plenty of opportunity to talk.

I admit I am completely freebasing on conjecture here.

Plus, it’s more effective to have a beloved elder statesman underscore Obama’s accomplishments than for Obama himself to do it. “He accomplished this; he accomplished that” has more weight than “I accomplished this; I accomplished that.” The former is an endorsement; the latter is more like bragging.

I still find it telling how the Dems had Clinton feature prominently in their convention, while the Repubs didn’t even invite Bush, and barely even mentioned him.

[quote=“Chris”]Plus, it’s more effective to have a beloved elder statesman underscore Obama’s accomplishments than for Obama himself to do it. “He accomplished this; he accomplished that” has more weight than “I accomplished this; I accomplished that.” The former is an endorsement; the latter is more like bragging.

I still find it telling how the Dems had Clinton feature prominently in their convention, while the Repubs didn’t even invite Bush, and barely even mentioned him.[/quote]
Chris,
Very good point. Hadn’t thought of it. Seems obvious now you mention it but it hadn’t crossed my mind.

Oh Chew Pup, always the nay sayer. :slight_smile: At least Obama is the same as he was 4 years ago, unlike your pal Mitt who not that long ago was an abortion loving Mormon preaching the values of Mass-of-two-shits public healthcare. And you and the like used to drone on about John Kerry flip flopping, fawking hell! Mitt Romney could be the fawkin CEO of Havianas for crisesakes. I wonder if Bain Capital ever fucked with that Brazilian sandal maker? :ponder:

Face it Chew Pup, Bubba is 100X the politician anyone is today and our favorite Kenyan takes a massive dump all over Hairdo and his magic underoos. Bill Clinton is great, even the RWBH have a soft spot for him, how can you not, the guy is the embodiment of Hulk Hogan’s entrance song.