2012: It's London!

Right on! Congrats to Great Britain and to the beautiful people who call it home. :uk: :happybiker:

Here is something from espn that you might find funny.

sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st … ple/050706

Oh, and France, Paris, and Chirac, I got something in my pocket for you. Here let me pull it out and show you…

:upyours: …yeah, you like that, don’t you.

The UK’s Sun newspaper always likes poking fun at the French. So, here’s todays offerings

See Chirac’s 2012 reaction

Web jokes are on Chirac

I guess I’d better show some patriotism…
:uk: :uk: :uk:

You do know that Great Britain doesn’t include Northern Ireland, don’t you? I mean… I’m just sayin’.

… not that I really care, come to think of it.

Carry on, everyone.

Hey guys, you Englishers have the ‘naked chef’ … he can cook something up … cheap and healthy olympic food :laughing:

Strange that some people seem to still be living in the 50s and 60s. :wink: Of the 50 best restaurants in the world as of this May, 14 are in Britain.
http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/29/pf/goodlife/restaurants/
As for the prices, though, you’re probably right, although I’m not sure how they compare to, say, France.

[quote=“irishstu”]
You do know that Great Britain doesn’t include Northern Ireland, don’t you? [/quote]

Yes, I know. I do appreciate your skill at stating the obvious.

If you don’t know that makes two of us. :s

And I, even less.

Yes, actually I do know what I’m talking about.

Food in the UK is lightyears, lightyears ahead of what it was even 5-10 years ago - and yes, the curries are good - but &^%& everything is so %^&^& expensive in London.

[quote=“Durins Bane”][quote=“irishstu”]
You do know that Great Britain doesn’t include Northern Ireland, don’t you? [/quote]

Yes, I know. I do appreciate your skill at stating the obvious.[/quote]

I wouldn’t say it’s obvious. Lots of people don’t know the difference between Great Britain and the United Kingdom. It can be just a bit annoying when your country/nation/whatever is ignored.

Thought I’d bring it up in case some people didn’t know. You know, like still saying “Checkoslovakia” or mis-using “Russia”.

Anyway, thanks for your lovely reply… :s

[quote=“Elegua”]Yes, actually I do know what I’m talking about.

Food in the UK is lightyears, lightyears ahead of what it was even 5-10 years ago - and yes, the curries are good - but &^%& everything is so %^&^& expensive in London.[/quote]

I’d totally agree. The food is OK but as a far as value for money…HA! It’s bloody ridiculous.

I still crave a Turkey Club Bagel from Oi Bagel in Bond St station on Oxford. Hardly gourmet, but fantastic.

Does anyone else feel a touch of, er, jealousy when other nationalities try and get in on the anti-French thing?

I mean, they’re our best enemies and I feel this should be a monogamous love-hate relationship. We’ve been at it for 700 years or so and don’t need anyone else muscling in on it.

So the one thing most likely to make me feel European is an anti French comment from George Bush.

The thing about the English is that we’ve never felt the need to stop eating French food, drinking their wine, or visiting the country - it’s not them that we have a problem with! It’s purely personal! So the whole “Freedom Fries” thing seemed quite funny to us.

I propose a toast to best enemies everywhere- long may they continue as such. (Surely no one takes this stuff seriously?)

So it’s Rule Britannia, and good ol’ John Bull - bless his jingoistic cotton socks - sees off Johnny Foreigner once again. Pardon me for not giving a monkeys. Am I the only one?

So, the corporate circus is going traipse into London, with a bit of sport on the side.

[quote=“highwave”]So it’s Rule Britannia, and good ol’ John Bull - bless his jingoistic cotton socks - sees off Johnny Foreigner once again. Pardon me for not giving a monkeys. Am I the only one?

So, the corporate circus is going traipse into London, with a bit of sport on the side.[/quote]
That’s your card marked, Highwave. You’re no Sun reader. :laughing:

France was pretty until they started this Euro thing - then all the prices went up 15% - 20% overnight

How’s 17 Euros for a salad, bread, soup, main course, dessert & coffee plus all you can drink table wine? If you can afford the 2hr it takes to get through the “menu express” & actually get the bill, it’s a deal.

[quote=“sandman”]Of the 50 best restaurants in the world as of this May, 14 are in Britain.
http://money.CNN.com/2005/04/29/pf/goodlife/restaurants/
[/quote]

Wow, a British magazine finds that a disproportinately high number of the best restaurants in the world happen to be in Britain!

The rest of the article talks about how wacky these restaurants are. The Fat Duck, supposedly the best restaurant in the world, serves items like sardine-flavored sorbet, snail porridge, or a puree of mango and Douglas fir.

If that’s the best cuisine in the world, you can take it.

/would chop off one of my fingers for some decent cannoli and Italian sausage.