2013 Big Scooter debate

Dear All

I looked around the forum and it seems that a lot of “classic” bigger engine Scooters are no longer manufactured, or at least this year.

If you had to buy a big scooter (180cc and up) over the next couple of months, which one would it be?

In what way is it superior to other popular choices?

I’m leaning towards the Aeon Elite 300Fi, mostly because of looks and the seat looks like it could accomodate the 4 of us (Two young kids of 4 and 6) at a pinch for short distances. Unlike the drivers back rest set up of the SYM RV250 Evo for instance.

Thanks in advance for your informed opinions

a car will cost you as low as 50K TWD…

Really? What kind of car?

The seat on the Aeon is probably not that convenient for carrying the kids, it’s quite broad so unless you can jam them in well between yourself and the missus they be sliding around a bit and probably complaining. If the 4 yo is small enough it might be possible to have him/her sit on the raised running board which would save 1 problem.

Try this page: http://www.8891.com.tw/index.php. If you plan to take your kids on a scooter, I’d suggest to plan and think again. Car seems like a much safer solution to me…

Thank you for your answer.

We went to an Aeon dealer and gave it a try. My 4 year old sat in front without problems and the 6 year old in the back but he did indeed have his feet dangling due to the width of the seat. I expect that any child his age on any scooter would have the problem to a varying degree, I’m not sure how avoidable this is.

Faced with the same 4 on a scooter choice, I don’t think any of the big scooters are suitable because they are so bloody heavy. A 250kg scooter with four people on, you’re looking at trying to balance 400kg. Not my idea of fun at the traffic lights.

I measured up a few seats and decided that when I do get another scooter it will be a racing 150. Unless the mp3 style trikes become legal.

Since the OP asked about which scooter would be best, and not for opinions about the safety of four on a scooter, all said posts about the safety of four on a scooter should be removed for being off topic. Including this one.

Jaame,

If you haven’t already, I suggest you you try both the Racing 150 and the Racing King 180. I find the 180 much more comfortable as it allows you to stretch your legs out a little on longer drives, especially if you have the seat trimmed flat.

I think the flat floor area is a few cm smaller though on the 180 so carrying things might not be as convenient.

[quote=“jaame”]Faced with the same 4 on a scooter choice, I don’t think any of the big scooters are suitable because they are so bloody heavy. A 250kg scooter with four people on, you’re looking at trying to balance 400kg. Not my idea of fun at the traffic lights.

I measured up a few seats and decided that when I do get another scooter it will be a racing 150. Unless the mp3 style trikes become legal.

Since the OP asked about which scooter would be best, and not for opinions about the safety of four on a scooter, all said posts about the safety of four on a scooter should be removed for being off topic. Including this one.[/quote]

Thank you Jaame for at least earnestly trying to be helpful, I will have a look racing 150cc

My thinking regarding the 250cc is that it would have more torque, but yes at 400Kg is a fair amount of weight, no way around it.

Really? What kind of car?[/quote]
I bought a manual VW Polo for 60k. Good car nothing wrong with it. Lasted quite a while then sold it to my roommate.

[quote=“PeiZong”]
I’m leaning towards the Aeon Elite 300Fi, mostly because of looks and the seat looks like it could accomodate the 4 of us (Two young kids of 4 and 6) at a pinch for short distances. Unlike the drivers back rest set up of the SYM RV250 Evo for instance.

Thanks in advance for your informed opinions[/quote]

You can add a backrest onto any scooter. The larger scooters are quite expensive and as some have stated have a too wide seat. The Aeon 150 is a great scoot which should handle the weight no problem for short distances. If a 125 can handle two fat people. Then a 150 can handle two normal people plus kids.

I use my car when it rains. But for good weather I always use the scooter to take my son to school (he’s 4).

[color=#008000]Moderator’s note: Thread split as requested. Please feel free to continue the off-topic discussion about ‘children on scooters’ in: https://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=120394 [/color]