2020 Cycling Goals

I think you are due for a bike upgrade once you do decide to return. :wink:

Ride on!

That’s the only acceptable excuse to not ride. I would even accept being 30 minutes late for a ride bc you couldn’t decide on which bike haha

Thanks for the kind words! A goal is a goal, having one gives you the motivation to get out. Without it, you’d just be the retired guy, not the retired guy who did 1,500km for the year :wink:

1 Like

OK @ranlee challenge accepted.

2019 was a big disappointment for me. I moved to Hong Kong and didn’t get into riding here, I switched to hiking and yoga. In total for the year I only put in 1000km, all of which was over 10 days on a bike tour in the States.

For 2020 I’ll be in Taiwan for at least 5 months, mostly in Yilan, so my goal is to get back on the bike and do a lot of riding. In 5 months I reckon I can fully explore all the rides around Yilan and total up maybe 6000km. That’s ambitious but there it is, shoot for the moon right? I’ll be on paternity leave so I’ll either have plenty of time to ride or no time, I really have no idea how kids work so we’ll have to see how that ends up going.

2 Likes

Well, your post motivated …
I added 40.000 elevated meters to the goal, next to the 5k in distance … pretty much my 2018 results.
Age is my one to beat, so I will be more than happy if I can keep this for the next 5 yrs … we will see … :wink:

1 Like

If experience, amongst cycling friends, is true. You won’t have time, but you set your goal. I’m sure you’ll make time.

Honestly, any riding, is better than no riding. I think about 100km out of 8000km was via Youbike.

Thanks @ranlee for the shout-out.

Did surpass 6000km by a couple hundred klicks in 2019, which was more than double that of previous year. Elevation a couple 1000m over 40,000m.

For 2020, I’d be satisfied to do 6000 again, as January has started off somewhat slow; glad to break 7000; and would be extremely happy (or dumb-founded) at anything over 8000.

Keep :bike: y’all

1 Like

Hit the first 1.000km at 7 weeks.
Not bad, and an above average start of the year for a change.
Must say that setting a clear target motivates largely, thx to this thread.

3 Likes

Well, I’ll be first to admit to writing off 2020 with an asterisk in terms of being far behind in distance traveled so far.
I won’t get near 2019’s total due to all kinds of situations appearing out of nowhere, notwithstanding C-19.
Kudos to those who have maintained their goals or who have just started biking.
The positive take is that things will only get better from here.

1 Like

You need to get some Taiwanese co-workers who’re comfortable enough to tell you how fat you are. It worked for me and I notched 350+km’s so far this month. Hoping to break the 4 bills mark on Sunday if the rain doesn’t spoil it.

You can do it, yes you can. If you put your mind to it, you know you can! - Hal Johnson

1 Like

My 2020 targets are not set in stone, but I should say that it helps a lot.
Either to throw in some kilometres right at the beginning of the week, or to get out in the weekend to fulfill that weekly distance.

End of May, I passed my halfway distance target with a month to go, plus I am above my elevation target.

It helps, it really does.

3 Likes

How’s everyone doing on their 2020 goals?

Looks like I am incapable of completing my first goal of riding abroad. However, I have ridden in a few new roads/climbs in Taiwan. Not sure if that counts.

Unless it rains for a full month in November and December, I need to average roughly 133km per week to reach my km goal. Which, I hope is doable. I also have big trips planned for October and December, which should make up for my laziness as of late.

2 Likes

My goal is to buy a bike. They built a super crit circuit five minutes from my house. How can I say no?

3 Likes

Won’t arrive near the yearly goal.
Some things came up during the year that sidetracked the effort.
Not worried. Still enjoy what cycling I can do.
:bike: :bike: :bike:

3 Likes

That circuit was one of the best things to happen to the domestic cycling scene as of late.

Not sure how often events will be held, but the first one was quite successful with all the big names showing up. I’ve seen pics of some photographer/cycling friends took and with 101 in the back drop and the occasional plane landing/taking off from Song Shan Airport, the location is pretty fantastic.

Life happens and our cycling goals get sidetracked. No big deal. As long as you are enjoying the ride when you go out, that’s key!

1 Like

I wonder how it’ll work out. If there’s no event organized then in theory anyone can ride on it. Which is a worry because, well, idiots. Hopefully it’ll be self-policing and people will be made aware it’s a racing circuit. The other stated use is to practice pace lines which is a really good idea. There’s plenty of space outside the racing line and there’s a second outer circuit so it should be able to accommodate a good number of riders.

The circuit is still young and friends have reported no one has been walking on it and no kids on push bikes. I hope it stays this way.

I still need to give it a spin. I hear the main circuit is 500m and the extended is 1km?

Sounds about right. There’s a killer tight corner on the big circuit with a nice inside camber on it so you can bomb it from right to left. I figure if I get a bike I can be on it at 6.30 am all by myself.

I am not getting a ton of riding in this year but I’m just happy to be back in Taiwan with actual nice rides to do. The rides I have done have all been excellent. As my daughter gets on toward 6 months it’s getting easier to find time to ride. She is so independent, she can even hold her head up by herself.

2 Likes

Didn’t give myself a goal other than getting out and riding. Still better than last year with many more rides to get done this year.

Distance 1,643.6 km
Time 90h 3m
Elev Gain 8,984 m
Rides 42
3 Likes