😷 COVID - [2021] "Good" Quarantine experiences / hotel reviews / ratings / recommendations?

Room rates have fluctuated a bit, so I would recommend finding the latest information on this page. Each quarantine hotel has a Google Sheet with latest room availability here (scroll down and click on “daily room available status” links).

1 Like

Room rates have fluctuated a bit, so I would recommend finding the latest information on this page. Each quarantine hotel has a Google Sheet with latest room availability here (scroll down and click on “daily room available status” links).

1 Like

Quick update: I just booked the same hotel again for my upcoming quarantine after returning to Taiwan next month. Price still NT$ 2500 per night.

The more I kept looking at these more expensive choices, the less happy I felt paying 50-100% more for what in the end could be a comparable or even less pleasant experience. Probably better to „suck it up“, order delivery frequently, save some money and try to get it over as fast as possible.

Now hoping that I will again get a room with a big window that opens and a the work desk will still be fine. And of course, there is always hope that they improved the food a bit by now :man_shrugging:

And of course there’s still the risk that CDC suddenly puts Turkey on the list of high risk countries and I need to go to the government quarantine facility. Then that cheap flight over Istanbul could still get back on me…

3 Likes

I quarantined at the Shihzuwan Hotel, Love River branch in Kaohsiung twice – I highly recommend it! The rooms were large, clean and comfortable. The staff was helpful and prompt. I opted out of their meal plan and relied on Uber Eats and Foodpanda both times. Food was always dropped off soon after it was delivered to the front desk. There was RO water on tab, so I did not drink bottled water they provided.

My first room was NT$2000/night (plus $800 government subsidy paid to the hotel directly). The second time was NT$1800/night with a smaller room, no balcony, no jacuzzi (The NT$2000 rooms were sold out). It was still nice, but I would rather have the NT$2K room. NT$200 extra for more space, a balcony, and a hot tub is a bargain. (To be fair, the second time they would drop off free fruit and desserts in some afternoons, which they did not the first time.)

I did not use their internet as I rented my own Wi-Fi router, but their password scheme is a joke: even though everyone has their own AP, everyone who stayed there would be able to guess everyone else’s passwords, so it’s no difference than using a public network.

The down side - the journey is 3-3.5 hours longer and slightly more expensive (Quarantine taxi fare: NT$2660, and the return HSR ticket if you live north) than if you choose to quarantine in Taoyuan or Taipei. But I believe the overall cost saving and quality of life is worth it.

4 Likes

Seriously?! 14 days of pacing a cramped “hotel room” and they also expect you to do it sans booze? The cigarettes I can understand, though that would be really hard on a smoker.

Is this just the government hotels or has anyone heard of this in private hotels?

1 Like

Yep, no alcohol, no cigarettes.
There is also no possibility to order food via Uber Eats, Food Panda.
I am in a government quarantine facilities as I arrived from one of those countries with “high” Delta outbreak.

2 Likes

Private hotels are also making their own rules. Some self-paid hotels allow alcohol and others do not.
I’m going to be delivering daily care packages with fresh fruit, real bread to my husband next week with a beer or two inside. I’ll see if they go through his stuff or not.
The government says quarantiners aren’t to be treated like prisoners.

4 Likes

I think that Thailand is/was the same with no alcohol officially allowed. I was a bit surprised to read in this thread recently that Taiwan has this policy too.

As long as people aren’t getting trashed and singing sea shanties all night, I don’t see how it’s any of the hotel’s/government’s business if adults choose to drink moderately while in quarantine - it’s supposed to be quarantine to stop people bringing the virus in, not prison. I don’t think they should have the right to go through people’s luggage to check whether they’re bringing in any “contraband”, when that has little to do with the risk of virus transmission.

6 Likes

Thank you all for the info you provide.

My Taiwanese wife, our 2yo kid and me are planning to come back to Taiwan around October/November (from Greece) and we are looking for a decent hotel either in Taipei or Kaohsiung (where we have our home but unfortunately cannot quarantine there) with the option of a bigger room (above 30sq.m).
The main reasons for bigger room are a) the kid to have some space to move around and b) some space to kind of “isolate” for remote working.
@quandary mentioned the Shihzuwan Hotel, Love River hotel in Kaohsiung that has pretty spacious rooms. Also I think it will be cheaper for something similar in Taipei (or even New Taipei).
Any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

It was my understanding that you will need 2 separate rooms. 1 adult + child in one room and the other adult in a different room. Has this changed? Can a family quarantine together now?

2 Likes

No idea about family in quarantine but when I arrived I saw a family, couple with 6 kids. I was wondering what quarantine facilities they were going to get if the rules are so tough in here.

1 Like

I’m not sure about this either, but I know from photos on Facebook that a couple of acquaintances who just arrived back from the U.S. are currently quarantining together with their baby in Taipei (the baby is <2 years old and the room seemed pretty large and pricey, like a family room or something, if those things make a difference).

2 Likes

Good news. Hopefully that is the rule and not the exception.

1 Like

Hi, we do know that you can apply for an exemption and we do know families with small kids (or even without) that they did quarantined together, so we will try to do the same as it is difficult for my wife to handle our boy for 2 weeks alone.
We are looking for something that at least can have 2 separate areas, even just with a partition, not necessarily 2 individual rooms. In XinYi, we found 1-2 hotels (like the Hanns House - Accommodation | Hanns House ) but the prices are crazy.
The only one we found that is also “kids friendly” is this one Kaifong Taipei-Orange Hotel | Taiwan Hotel, Taipei, Taichung, Chiayi .
Thank you all for your interst

1 Like

I think the key word here is “moderately”. I thought it was ridiculous policy, but you’re alone for 14 days. If you are a “sensible” drinker, drinking alone can be fine. But alcoholism is also a thing. Does the government really want alcoholics drinking alone? and how would they know if the person ordering alcohol is an alcoholic? Maybe the person themself doesn’t realize they are an alcoholic. It would be pretty easy for someone in a bad place to drink themself to death with unlimited alcohol orders. And since you’re not allowed to leave your room, no one would notice you were dying/dead until it’s time to check out, which could be many days after the fact. To me, I think the thing to do in that case would be to place a limit on how much booze can be delivered. Like, if there are three liters of hard liquor being delivered to a room each day, that would be cause for concern. So there could be limits placed on how much booze can be delivered. Certainly someone should be allowed to have at least one alcoholic beverage with lunch and one with dinner? I don’t know what a “reasonable” limit would be. For me, getting smashed 14 nights in a row would get old by night 3, even if I was doing that via virtual happy hour. I also understand hotels have enough to worry about without having to be pseudo bartenders “cutting people off”, so I can understand a blanket ban, as annoying as that is.

2 Likes

I would just suggest not being in Taipei. Everything costs more and space is always smaller for the price. Since quarantine taxis have capped rates, driving all the way to the south and buying HSR tickets back looks cheaper for what you get than Taipei. You might want to keep in mind what’s available for delivery near the hotel though. If you book a quarantine hotel in the middle of nowhere, you could end up with very limited delivery options. At minimum, you’ll want Carrefour delivery.

Try to find a hotel with adjoining rooms. I think @Mithrandir did (not admit to) doing that.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know what you mean that it wouldn’t look great to have an alcohol-related death etc. in quarantine, and maybe taking two crates of vodka into the hotel shouldn’t be permitted, but it still seems like overreach to me for them to absolutely forbid any alcohol being taken in by anyone.

1 Like

nz, you are right but actually I am discussing with my wife and we think that as our flight most likely will be ATH-DOH (5hrs) then DOH-TPE (9hrs) it will be too much for the kid another transportation from Taoyuan to even Taichung (2hrs?), not to mention Kaohsiung (4hrs?) by taxi (I do not think we are allowed to take HSR or any other public transport.
So, I guess we look for Taoyuan, (New) Taipei (and Hsinchu ?).
Thanks!

1 Like

We are treated like prisoners.

1 Like

Kind of. The door isn’t locked so you can leave if there is an emergency.
I’m afraid the majority of the population doesn’t see any issue with this because they believe in group benefit over individual rights. They are a new democracy so there are some remnants of communism. They are hurting people unnecessarily. I was told to “suck it up” right here on this message board.
I had nightmares for about a week after leaving quarantine. Being isolated is the most difficult part. I kept a routine that definitely helped and chatted with friends online.
You will get through this and move past it to better things.

1 Like