2022 Municipal Elections

Ma is a weird guy

My favourite line from that Nathan Batto post linked above:

Ma’s speech [this fall at at KMT rally in Muzha] wasn’t exactly thrilling the choir. It was more like he was a cranky old uncle who you pretend not to hear when he starts saying embarrassing things about minorities.

:rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

About halfway through his litany of terrible things President Tsai and the DPP have done, Ma turned to Tsai’s 2021 National Day speech. Ma was shocked that Tsai had said that the two sides do no belong to each other 兩岸互不隸屬. The mainland, he said, was the ROC’s territory; our constitution says so, and so does the other side’s constitution!

He had a big rant about this on 10.10 this year. Such a weird out of touch point. 80% of blue voters would agree with Tsai on this

1 Like

That seems harsh on Chiang. Just from a Google Search, he was fired from the law firm when they layed off 15% of theuir staff during the economic crisis in 2008. Makes out that he was let go out of incompetence

As they say, sometimes a door needs to close for another to open.

Guy

Gigachad moment!

Nathan Batto at Frozen Garlic, finally wide awake, visits a KMT rally in Shalu, on the coast of Taichung, in what used to be called Taichung County. Here he finds out why it is likely that incumbent mayor Lu Hsiu-yen is likely to be re-elected:

Guy

2 Likes

I dont think Batto is right about his political cleavage, or that its much less relevant than before. At least in Taipei and the North, of for people under 45. A lot of people are sick of cross-straits issues and see them as a diversion. Or this is my impression anyway

You are actually supporting Batto’s point—that Mayor Lu in Taichung doesn’t talk about any of that stuff at the local election level. And hence she will likely win re-election.

Guy

1 Like

Yeah I mean in general

Meanwhile, in Taipei, I am not sure I like this guy’s platform. :grimacing:

Guy

What if he’s right though? :open_mouth:

3 Likes

About extending the rule of Emperor Tang?

I suppose we’ll need to up our poetry game pronto!

Guy

2 Likes

Personally more worried about the volcano destroying Taipei, but that’s just me.

2 Likes

Didn’t Tang emperors have the surname Li?

1 Like

So . . . perhaps this guy’s claims might not quite line up? :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes
3 Likes

Meanwhile in Hsinchu City, Terry Guo’s preferred candidate Ann Kao (高虹安) from the TPP is now reportedly under investigation for wage fraud. With the full endorsement of tycoon Guo, who could have guessed this.

Guy

Is this like some kind of deliberate campaign or something? Or are there usually this many loonies

1 Like

My view from afar: this candidate is not a good egg, Too much stinks.

Guy