[2023] "Inexpensive" new cars (compact-sized)?

I didn’t have to do any of that stuff you mentioned. Was your Jetta an old car? I think the OP is looking to buy new, if I’m not mistaken?

Also, my Jetta didn’t require synthetic oil. I used 5W-30. Maybe Toyotas can take cheaper oil, but US$60 for an oil change once a year is cheap enough.

1 Like

All bought new. the Jetta was a 2010 iirc (the oldest VW we’ve had). I’ve had a Jetta, golf R, and currently have a GTI.

There’s technically a few higher end conventional oils that meet VW specs for newish models (but not the new models) like Mobil super 1000 x1, but Ive actually see any around (and it’s not really cheaper anyway).

What year was your Jetta and what did you use?

1 Like

I had a 2016 Jetta and drove it from 2016 to 2021.

I used Mobil 5W-30 which was the one that was recommended, but it wasn’t synthetic.

Maintenance was recommended every 10k miles (roughly annually, for most people) and I did everything the manufacturer recommended. In fact, I only ever had the car serviced at a VW dealership. Most servicing cost me around US$150 total (oil change, tire rotations, car wash, interior detailing, filter replacement), but there was a slightly larger one at 30k miles that cost me a bit more. Maybe US$250.

1 Like

OK, you had a VW using the old 504 spec that had some cheaper oils available; NO new VWs use this spec anymore, so not relevant anymore to maintain costs.

Yea, sure, if you’re driving 50k from new over 5 yrs, I’d expect low maint costs on pretty much any car (that’s basically broken in for a new car these days) outside high performance vehicles (and even then, it ain’t gonna be that much). It’s when non routine maint items (usually 60k+, depending on car and conditions. I less you have that f’in VW dsg, then it’s starting at 40k) pop up that it starts to hurt.

Right. I never had those issues, and the OP is looking to buy new, so I don’t expect any non-routine maintenance items popping up. Not unless they decide to keep it for a long time, anyway.

I don’t think most people would keep a car around for more than five or six years.

My sister has a Toyota Sienna from 2007, still going good, not worth it to sell since the value is low now, she keeps it for family trips when they need a large car.
My mom has a Honda fit from 2010.
my neighbor has a Honda SUV that is 11 years old.
well maintained Japanese cars can run for years…

Most people keep their cars for longer than that - 7-8 years average for new car buyers. This isn’t back in the day when you were lucky to get 100k out of a car. people are also driving more practically every year.

Well maintained German cars can run much longer, but I don’t think that’s relevant for most people. I think most people (at least in the US) sell their cars nowadays not because their cars are wearing out, but because they want newer cars with more modern features.

well, i know more people that think that buying a gently used 2nd hand Corolla is the best option both financially and from an automotive perspective.
I think uou are translating your personal experience into a blanket statement, which is fine, but I find it a rather narrow perspective.

Well, either new or gently used. Same same.

My 2016 Jetta (which I bought in 2016) wasn’t new either. It was very gently used.

@qwert_zuiop get the mazda, incredible engines, very high quality interiors for the price.

1 Like

Mazdas would be my second choice after a VW. They are Japan’s “German car”. :grin:

1 Like

Go for the ranger mate. It is only 1 million NTD for the base model.

Diesel too so it is good for the environment.

Plenty of space in the back if you’re a shopping type of guy.

It also looks more manly too.

1 Like

VW Taiwan gives you a 5-year warranty and include maintenance for those 5 years as well when you buy new. For the first 5 years I didn’t even have to pay for the car taxes or anything. Only thing out of pocket was the premium insurance.

3 Likes

Does that warranty transfer to the second owner? If so, I certainly didn’t know about it!

I don’t know if they do that with all models, I bought a VW Touran and my friend bought a Tiguan and we both got the same deal.

Transferring to second owners? probably, the warranty is on the car… maybe?

1 Like

I thought you were joking, but it actually seems to start at a bit over $ 1 million.

Any insight on why a Ford Ranger is actually in the same price range as a VW Polo (when adding the rear-view camera…) in Taiwan…? :thinking:

Because of taxes on diesel vehicles etc… Ford kind of figured out ways to game the system in Taiwan…

1 Like

Do you have proof of this statement? AFAIK I think early 90’s Hondas required a visual check after 10 years

They’re life of vehicle now. Back in the day some expired or required inspection (not sure they actually expired, but I’ll go with it. some definitely suggested an inspection. that and conventional oil on a VW made me think alan was rocking a pretty old car (til I noticed it was diff person)).