2023 Tour de Taiwan

Good sprint by 阿凱 there at the line. Good to see the old guy in the mix.

1 Like

I went to see quite a lot of the events, and most of them were close to sold out. I remember you couldn’t get tickets to the volleyball for love or money. Maybe I remember it wrong, but I recall thinking that actually Taiwanese people really enjoy watching sport when they are aware that it’s happening. A big problem with sporting events in Taiwan is that most of it has absolutely zero marketing or promotion. Tour De Taiwan is a case in point, I enjoy cycling, and watching cycling. The only reason I knew this was happening was because of this thread. My wife and her family love watching all sport, but they had no idea that Taiwan even hosted a top-level cycling event.

Yeah I’m only referring to the track and field. I went on the first Friday night which was outstanding and no one was there. By the final Friday night it was a full house, because the press started to promote it on the back of some great performances. The javelin was the best field event I’ve ever seen. The Taiwan athlete beating the top ranked German thrower with their last throw of the night.

Ditto. Age is just a number for 阿凱.

I was going to write something along the lines that the organization had actually improved a bit because I remembered checking the race during my first years in Taiwan and almost all the stages were multiple loops to a relatively short circuit. Example: stage 5, 2014, 14 laps to a 12km circuit.

But, I have reviewed some of the last editions and the stages are almost identical every year! Peak chabuduoism.

I had to go back to 2015 edition, stage 4, to find a mountain stage. They climbed to Yushan National Park. Although the stage was just 102.8 km.

So, I am not only not reducing my criticism, but I’m all in now. It has to be one of the worst race routes, compared to the roads available in the region, of the world.

I’m following contestant Patrick Reibig on Strava.
His average speeds are astonishing and he’s not winning.

AVG 41kph distance 164.64 that’s over double I could do at my very best!
Wouldn’t mind burning off the 6,016 Calories.
My power today was 147W :joy::rofl:

He’s improved on next stage AVG 44kph!

1 Like

The stages were all pretty fast from the start. And yet, most of these guys would go through hell to finish a stage in the pro tour peloton.

1 Like