2024 Parliamentary Clashes - Forced Legislation and Subsequent Protests

The party list lawmakers (this includes Speaker of the House Han Kuo-yu and the entire TPP set of lawmakers) cannot be recalled. The district lawmakers (this would include Fu Kun-chi) can be recalled after one year.

Aaaaaand . . . look at that! The KMT now apparently wants to raise the bar to recall lawmakers. What a coincidence!

Source: x.com

Guy

3 Likes

Could you (parenthetically) add a few titles or associations to some of the names in the comment I’m replying to? Who is Gouchang?

1 Like

That is @hansioux sharp-edged transformation of Huang Kuo-chang’s (黃國昌) name into hanyu pinyin, signalling perhaps @hansioux 's belief that this man is now acting as if he were actually from the People’s Republic of You Know Where.

2 Likes

Fascinating that professors are calling it a coup and pushing for strong Executive Power. Unitary Executive Power theory for Taiwan, eh? :laughing: John Yoo - Wikipedia

1 Like

No one currently is “pushing” for anything other than the rogue members of the LY pushing their likely unconstitutional bills. At least identify the agents correctly here.

Guy

And now according to journalist David Demes, as this proposed change has become known, the KMT has reportedly backed down. :roll_eyes:

Guy

2 Likes

Remember a time a pre election when people kept saying Ke P was taking away DPP votes and that they are more aligned with green side blah blah blah?

I mean, it was OBVIOUS before that they are allied with the blue. They had public meetings laying it all out. On TV. But, whatever, denial is strong in these parts.

However, how now to deny reality? Maybe Korea fish can install some more new streetlights and win over a couple million sheep. We shall see. What, though, is the justification amongst the commoners for the Chinese party and the psuedo Chinese party?

Ke P & Co. The betel nut party. Never a better metaphor has ever been spoken! Watch the blue Chinese wiggle and squirm avoiding this conversation!!!

4 Likes

Dead on this, poetry my man!

More details are emerging about Fu’s ludicrous proposed infrastructure bill. It’s reportedly calling for NT$1.2 trillion (!!!) to be handed over to China for various construction projects. It’s basically an attempt to stitch Taiwan into Beijing’s Belt and Road.

If I were the DPP, I’d make a recall campaign in Hualien (Fu’s district) a top priority. I’m not sure they’d be able to remove him but at least then he’d be on the defensive and needing to explain to his constituents what he’s doing.

Guy

6 Likes

I’m not doubting you; I just wanted to see if I could get the same interpretation from Google Lens and Google Translate.

From Google Lens:

From Google Translate:

Passing strange, isn’t it?

It’s apparently a flyer his team produced.

He’s presenting the funding from China as a plus (i.e. less strain on Taiwan’s finances).

Whoever produced this flyer seems either unaware or unconcerned about the optics and national security implications of turning to China for funding.

Guy

2 Likes

Thanks for this, @afterspivak.

I’ve always figured I suffered from a huge knowledge gap about these kinds of things, but holy smokes!

Do you think the Chinese would even agree to such a thing? Or do you think he’s already spoken to Chinese authorities and gotten their approval?

I guess this is a news item about it:

That guy is such a c@nt

2 Likes

Explain to me how protestors against the KMT/TPP legislative agenda in Taiwan are hypocritical because a generation ago protestors in another country were against a war?

See the Bigger Picture, mate. I’m saying that in a mature democracy, there are checks and balances. That annual State of the Union speeches, committee prosecutorial powers, review mechanisms etc. are fairly common in such democracies. That Executive Power is a good thing (for a Jacksonian) but should still be monitored by the Legislative. In a global comparison, the folks crying about unitary executive theory, are now suddenly champions of strong Executive power? How quaint!!! :clown_face:

He’s not even tricky about it.

This has led some commentators such as Brian Hioe to wonder what the KMT strategy is, and whether they are simply playing politics poorly at this point. What they are proposing is so clearly obviously dumb . . .

Guy

4 Likes

Of course they would. They’d pay even more if allowed. They’re already chomping at the bits. They’ll frame it as a show of sovereignty and inadequacy of Taiwanese government at the same time.

2 Likes

He probably wants the Chinese to build the shady highway as well.

He really is a can’t! He is also a cunt. And an ass. And a whatever other nasty word haha.

What is even more absurd is that Taiwan is fully capable of funding projects. We are frigging bleeding money into all sorts of nothingness just for shits and grins. To think a rich nation with boatloads of cash just waiting for some retarded use are sitting around, and then go to want to sign deals with literally your sworn enemy that SWEARS they will, as the kids say it, PWN us, on the record and on international tv/internet/media/etc. The level of how treasonous the Chinese KMT acts now is really deserving of some President Chen level jailing, investigations and severe court trials. Once Ma got power and tried hard to tank Taiwan, it’s all gone to total shit.

Frankly I don’t get how this “new age” thinks Ke P is the way out. It’s terrifying how little people are looking at very simple and very obvious signs. Even the CKMT people should be worried, at least the ones that aren’t rich. All these universities and such a naive, easily manipulated herd.

1 Like