2068 Impact with Earth

New articles about new predictions of an Earth impact from Apophis keep popping up on my news feeds. They now say a 2068 impact with Earth is possible and scientists are discussing what, if anything, can be done about it.

I will be gone by then or near my final bow. My children will be middle age and have kids of their own. I worry about their future.

Makes one realize just how insignificant we are in the timeline of the cosmos. Enjoy life, every second of it. Don’t waste precious time on trivial things.

Good timing. I’ll most likely be dead by then anyhow.

So… cleaning my room is not worth it, right?

1 Like

Ah…shit. I was hoping to qualify for the stimulus vouchers by 2070.

It seems that a collision wouldn’t be totally cataclysmic, though:

Hypothetically, a collision would release ~1200 Megatons of TNT of energy: enough to create a ~5 km (3 mile) crater.

However, with just 0.001% the mass of the legendary dinosaur-killing asteroid, it poses no extinction threat.

7c687debe61f4b5aca1f1465811bbd05

2 Likes

I’d be 86 and the shitty way I live, chances are I’d be gone. But I don’t want my daughter to get hit. Is this one of those fear-bait articles where the actual chance of a direct hit is 1 in 1,000 or so?

That doesn’t sound any worse than the Tunguska event.

1 Like

Scare science is good media fodder these days.

We may have changed from the traditional religions to scientism, but there’s nothing like a good doomsday theory to get the fear of “insert name of god” into you.

1 Like

Scientists believe the Tunguska event was a massive meteor that skimmed the earth’s atmosphere, not an actual impact. No crater.

This one set to possibly impact Earth in 40ish years from now is expected to be an impact and not a skimmer.

The size wouldn’t be an extinction event, but could wipe out a city or cause massive tsunamis. If an impact occurs, all sorts of stuff would be thrown up into the atmosphere too, causing who knows what kind of problems.

Another what if / possible scenario is if it misses Earth, but strikes the moon. What sort of destruction would that cause on Earth?

Almost seems like something to live for. I’d be 101.

1 Like

Life goals?

What month in 2068? I’d like to plan accordingly…

2 Likes

Not my problem anymore.

Good. I think by that point humanity won’t be worth saving anyway.